Beyond the Law / Al di là della legge (Giorgio Stegani, 1968)

I recently purchased Mill Creek’s 20 SW set. ;D

This was one of the titles I was looking forward to viewing.

Now that I’ve seen this, I’d like to point out that the short review on this movies main page Al di là della legge - The Spaghetti Western Database is not correct, and likely, a spoiler.

This print is an English language version that has 2 scenes that feature Italian language with English subs only. One scene features Novak talking to, I think, Davis and then to Mr. Cooper and the other scene is the one in which the Stander character teaches the school kids. I don’t think this has been noted here before [at least, not in this thread] 8) This info could be added to the movie’s DVD info page.

I have to say I liked this one. There are moments when the comedy elements started to make me squirm in my seat. I managed to adjust myself and embraced the spirit of this faceted adventure. I enjoyed Giorgio Stegani’s ambitious direction of the film. You can tell he was thrilled to be working with LVC, though his film is ultimately undone by the ambiguity of the finale.

:slight_smile:

I watched this last night.

I found it very entertaining and much better than I was expecting. It was also great seeing Lionel Stander.

I watched the Wild East release & was pleased that the print quality was very good. My only complaint about this release is the replacement title cards used in this & The Grand Duel on the other side - what the f**k were Wild East thinking?
???

Just finished this. I thought it was ok 3/5. The leader of the group of robbers was excellent. There was humor in this but i did not mind it. The score was so so. Cleef was really good in it. I did like alot of the twists in it like the part with the bag of money, and the part where the real robbers came. the version i seen was the 96 minute version of the film in wide screen.

I think this film is good. A little faster pace would have helped but the action scenes are some of the most well directed action scenes in a spaghetti. They are not just fluries of gunfire but the combatents actually AIM!!! A spaghetti western rarity I must say. ;D :o

This movie felt like an american western. Riz Ortolani’s score was also traditional orchestrated western score. The movie tends to drag a lot in the middle section. Still it’s above average. We get only two gunfights but there are a nice ones, especially the one in the end. We also get Lee Van Cleef [playing more of a lightweight character than usual, but still in a good form], Lionel Stander [playing a very likable character in my opinon] and Gordon Mitchell [as a ruthless villain dressed n black]. The hostage situation in the end is also a great moment. Not to mention that the movie’s premise is also an interesting one. 6/10 [but i’ll have to watch widescreen version in the future, that’s for sure, because my version was a shitty fullscreen one :frowning: ]

It may sound likea strange observation but, I noticed that the town had a lot of white picket fencesusually seen in american westerns. In spagettis we usually get graveyards instead of fences.

I tried watching Beyond the Law a few years a go and gave up after a half hour zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
To be fair though,it was a fullscreen cheapo DVD and probably the cut version.
I got the Mill Creek 20 SW set yesterday and the version BTL on it is listed at 109 minutes and it is in widescreen,so that should certainly make a difference.

I am going to rewaych this one soon. I never really paid attention to the storyline but looking back it is definetly an intersting one. As I said earlier, this one has great action scenes. More than makes up for the lack of non stop action. Some films are better the second time you watch them. Hope this will be the case.

Hopefully you like it. I liked the storyline but the look of the movie is like other US Western. Lee Van Cleef has a great Role. He is one of the coolest guys in movie history. :slight_smile:

I didn’t dislike it the first time. I even have a intro for the databases updates page.

Sorry missunderstood you.

Next time I watch it I’ll take a careful look at the fences. :wink:

Thats alright Paco. After rereading through this thread, I have increasingly interested in the film. I guess I misunderstood it the first time. The idea of taking of taking a 50’s American western, making it in the 60’s by Italians sounds cool. Old School is always cool. :wink:

Good to know!

Areyou worried about your age or somethin’? :wink:

All the time ;).

This movie was enjoyable for sure. Always a pleasure to see LVC. However I din’t like the dialogue. It missed the mark. ALso the part during the final gunfight when one by one they all go out of cover only to get killed by Gordon Mitchell sitting in the tower. How stupid can they be?

Well, reason is not the spaghettis strong point. I think it is because they have to make the situation seem dire but the director proabaly wasn’t smart enough to make all the people die any other way.

I need to watch this one again, as you have me intrigued by the dialogue.

In fact, wasn’t this the movie where LVC said that he had to show the director how to direct?

“…one of the early ones after I finished with Leone, and I directed myself all the way through the damn thing. I just couldn’t take the director’s directions. On occasion I even had to correct him on riglzt and left, and where to set lights.”

I’m not sure what movie this is. I suspect its beyond the law.

I doubt it was Big Gundown. Sergio Sollima is very intelligent by my understanding. Must have been BTL (beyond the law.) Could have been Tonino Valerii. Day of Anger was his second movie. Couldn’t have been Stegani either. At least not likely. This was his fourteenth movie. He had to have known the basics by then.