Barquero (Gordon Douglas, 1970)

This was LVC’s first American Western after he returned breifly from Europe. I have read many favourable reviews about this one and it stars one of my all time fovorite actors, Warren “God” Oates. Filmd in beautiful Colorado although some say Spain but they are misinformed. Unfortunatly, no DVD out. Anyway, whatdo you guys think of this film?

Just viewed the U.K DVD release to this which is in widescreen. Fair amount of action in the first part of the film, but then thngs slow down a little. Van Cleef is watchable of course, and I do like his small hat he wears. Cleef knows how and seems to enjoy winding the Warren Oats character up in this one. Oats also has time for a smoke Indio style. Forrest Tucker who plays a mountain man often steals the show.

Not in the best ranks of LVC westerns, but he would later make more poor westerns than this in my view.
[table][tr][td] [center] [table][tr] [td][/td][/tr][/table][/center][/td][/tr][/table]

Yeah, I’ve always liked this one. Warren Oates and LVC. How can it not be good value?
I particularly like the opening sequence where Oates shoots the whore as he leaves. Perfect stuff for him.

Ennioo, how would you rate the DVD’s quality?

Not a masterpiece, as you say, but a must-have for its leading actors alone.

Have to admit liking this scene myself.

There is a nice little review of the disc here, which also mentions re the quality of the disc which I agree with:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=70623

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:5, topic:1311”]There is a nice little review of the disc here, which also mentions re the quality of the disc which I agree with:

[url]http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=70623[/url][/quote]

Sounds like it’s on a par with most of the other Western Classics in this collection. Sounds like it’s worth the investment, although wasn’t this mentioned as a future Koch release as well?

Thats right…might be worth waiting for the Koch release then :wink: :

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.amazon.de/Barquero-Lee-Van-Cleef/dp/B00005KG2L&ei=gDslSq_BDOPTjAf675zjBw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DBarquero%2BKOCH%2BMEDIA%26hl%3Den

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:5, topic:1311”]There is a nice little review of the disc here, which also mentions re the quality of the disc which I agree with:

[url]http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=70623[/url][/quote]

The review is quite positive, still the film scores only 5 out of 10

Saw it way back in the 70s or 80s, remember it as okay, but no so special
Put it on top of my to watch list

Gordon Douglas had a good time in the 60s and this is another interesting one, even if it’s not on par with Rio Conchos or Gold of the Seven Saints or Chuka.

Van Cleef and Oates are quite good but it’s Forest Tucker who, just like Ennio says, steals the show

Some SW touches in this one, but not all of the action sequences are working, or respectively are really necessary.

Entertaining. 6/10

(No clue btw why this picture was called Barquero)

[quote=“Stanton, post:9, topic:1311”]Gordon Douglas had a good time in the 60s and this is another interesting one, even if it’s not on par with Rio Conchos or Gold of the Seven Saints or Chuka.

Van Cleef and Oates are quite good but it’s Forest Tucker who, just like Ennio says, steals the show

Some SW touches in this one, but not all of the action sequences are working, or respectively are really necessary.

Entertaining. 6/10

(No clue btw why this picture was called Barquero)[/quote]

I guess it’s Spanish for something like boat man

Yes, Van Cleef’s character is referred to throughout as a “barquero”. Compare “vaquero”.

(Or “melon farmer” in the not dissimilar Charles Bronson vehicle Mr Majestyk.)

Ohh and amigos, don’t think too much about why Van Cleef and Tucker are swimming to the other side of the river for some guerilla work, whereas Oates and his watershy 60 guy bunch must be all nonswimmers.

Heroes can swim, villains can’t, just like villains die when hit by a bullet and heroes don’t

Warren Oats men do like a drink of course from time to time, but then again all the men are ready when required to build a few rafts :smiley: .

Watched it a few days ago, wrote a review that will be published in due time by lordradish

I liked the film better this time than I did before, probably because the rather slow mid-section irritated me more when I was twenty years younger.
You become a bit more patient with age and this time around I felt quite comfortable with the deliberate pace

Nice directional touch during the opening massacre: Oates and his lieutenant having a quiet conversation inside while outside the shooting goes on

There was a guy here on the forum a week or so ago, who asked about the depiction of women in westerns (I don’t remember exactly what he wanted to know); the depiction of Hariette Hartley’s character is quite interesting: being a sophisticated lady, she feels attracted to the muy macho barquero, played by Lee himself, the proverbial man who would trail her by the hair into the forest.
Well, in this movie he takes her into the woods
And then rips off her clothes

Great point. Climbing is also something villains are not as good as heroes at. I’ve read that LVC was not to proud of this movie.

And I’ve read that he liked every movie he was in except posse from hell and the B’s.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:15, topic:1311”]Well, in this movie he takes her into the woods
And then rips off her clothes[/quote]

A scene which I always remember, and one that was discussed some where in the past.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Barquero (Gordon Douglas, 1970), Second Thread

Anyone who have seen this film?

It looks very SW like from the trailer

And it has a very strong cast with Lee van Cleef and Warren Oates.