Barcelona (Balcazar Brothers)

(korano) #1

I was curious to here your thoughts on the spaghettis shot in the hills around Barcelona and Balcazar productions in general. How would you compare Barcelona locations to Almeria?

(Phil H) #2

Funny you should raise this topic now Korano as I am currently planning a trip to the area with my daughters for May of this year. Spaghetti Western locations are not our prime motivation for going but I intend to mix a bit of business with pleasure so to speak and take a look at some of the more obvious sites.

Consequently I am in the process of catching up with as many of the Balcazar films and others shot in the area as I can. (Hence the recent viewing of $5000 on One Ace) As a general rule the Balcazar films are unlikely to feature in anyone’s list of favourites but there were some good films shot in the area of which Return of Ringo is probably the best and most well known. The Balcazar Studios western town built in Esplugues City was used throughout the spaghetti period from 1964 until it was burned down for Now They Call Him Sacramento in 1972. Most of the Outside stuff was shot around Fragas which is actually in northern Aragon, about a couple of hours drive to the south west.

I intend writing an article on it when I get back from the trip.

(Dillinger) #3

Is your daughter also into SWs, Phil?

(Phil H) #4

My 13 year old is quite a fan actually although I have to be careful what films I watch with her. Not sure she is quite old enough for some of them. Return of Ringo is her favourite film and Fernando Sancho her favourite actor. My other daughters tolerate more than enjoy I think. They like some but couldn’t be considered fans really. Having said that, for 3 weeks in Spain they’ll become fans of anything.

(korano) #5

So they burned down the whole town set just for a movie? That’s a bit much.

I was never too big a fan of that town set. Too green and long with not enough turns. My big Balcazar experience is unfortunatley Dynamite Jim whichI couldn’t finish.

(Phil H) #6

[quote=“korano, post:5, topic:1649”]So they burned down the whole town set just for a movie? That’s a bit much.

I was never too big a fan of that town set. Too green and long with not enough turns. My big Balcazar experience is unfortunatley Dynamite Jim whichI couldn’t finish.[/quote]

I think the point was it had outlasted its usefulness so why not use it one last time and get a big finish out of it rather than just pull it down.

I actually quite like the town. It certainly wasn’t green in Return of Ringo. Quite the opposite. A real dust bowl town complete with straw blowing around in the wind.

(korano) #7

I meant green on the outside. It reminds me of the town used in spaghettis like Dat of Anger, Django the Bastard, etc. What is that western town.

(Silence) #8

What films is she not old enough for, then? Cut Throats Nine? Django Kill?

(Phil H) #9

To name but two

(korano) #10

Fasthand is still My Name
Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe
Four of the Apocalypse
Mannaja
Comin’ at Ya

(Silence) #11

[quote=“korano, post:10, topic:1649”]Fasthand is still My Name
Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe
Four of the Apocalypse
Mannaja
Comin’ at Ya[/quote]
Mannaja isn’t that violent but Blindman prehaps?

(korano) #12

I suppose a man’s hand being chopped off with a hatchet isn’t violent? :wink: Or having said man’s eyes held open with sticks piercing through his eyelids? :wink: Or squibs? :wink:

(Silence) #13

But it isn’t really graphic :-. Ok, some of the squibs and the eyes are shown in close-up but I never had any problem with it :).

(korano) #14

Maybe it is the actual fact his hand is being chopped off. The pyscological aspect inclduing.

(Nzoog Wahrlfhehen) #15

Many Barcelona westerns were indeed shot in Fraga, Aragón. That was for the landscape scenes. The town scenes were shot in Balcázar’s low-grade western town in Esplugues de LLobregat. This was a tottering town with houses seemingly made of plywood.

Iquino, the main competitor of the Balcázars, shot his westerns in the Balcázar town (it looked better in his movies, actually), or in a ranch of his property in Castelldefels, Barcelona. Iquino was too cheap at times to even go to Fraga for the locations, so he’d shooot it all outside Barcelona. Four Candles For My Colt, ot whatever it’s called in English, was shot in a military camp outside Castelldefels. Castelldefels also served as a location for Manuel Esteba’s westerns.