Anybody here a SASS Shooter?

I’m a SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) Member. I was wondering if anyone else here is a shooter also. I’ve shot scenarios based around Spaghetti Westerns and this is just the best fun you can have with your clothes on.

I wish I was but the gun laws in Canada are crap. I have to be content with my crosman CO2 revolver and air rifle.

I here that. When I started 13 years ago I shot with a couple cowboys from Canada.
Great guys! The later had problems crossing the border to shoot with us in the US.
A real pant load of crap.

We’ve only had pistols legalized here in Ireland in the last few years and there is a very limited range of guns available. I really want a cap’n’ball revolver, but black powder is still not available - its considered an explosive by the authorities :frowning: I’ll have to stick with breaking clays for the time being.

[quote=“Cheyenne, post:3, topic:1419”]I here that. When I started 13 years ago I shot with a couple cowboys from Canada.
Great guys! The later had problems crossing the border to shoot with us in the US.
A real pant load of crap.[/quote]

I’m not even allowed to order Denix replicas from the states! Well, on the bright side…at least the laws make our homicide rates lower, but it sucks for people like me.

13 years huh?, you must be really good!

I was really interested of this cowboy action shooting stuff or whatever you wanna call it some years ago but never managed to get a gun (didn’t have enough money). Now they’re probably gonna forbid all the handguns here in Finland because some f*ing aholes started to shoot people at schools.

I heard about the school shooting over there. I am dumb founded. Why do they do it?
We never setteled our differences with guns when we were in school. We would never dream of it. We had the respect for firearms drilled into our heads at an early age. I’m sorry it has come to your country Bill.

Anyways check out these links if you got a hankering for more. SASS is global and there are
international shoots too.

http://www.sassnet.com/

This is me, tho it’s dated photos. It still is a blast.

http://www.shootingbums.org/wmr/lazarusman.html

Are those shotgun shells in your gun belt?

Yes, there in a slide that holds 6. Not realy old west but that is all I had. It’s a speed shooting game. If you ever tried to load a shot gun out of your pockets you might as well throw them at the targets.

Jill: Hey, you know you’re kind of a handsome man.
Cheyenne: But I’m not the right man.

Wear a shooting vest with large cargo pockets. Jump up and down a few times and the heavy lead filled ends of the shells will settle downwards. Then every time you reach for a couple of shells they come out in your hand the right way for loading! You see the useless sort of things you learn when you shoot clays all the time!!! Have you ever tried black powder shotgun shells? Just like the old West, big muzzle flash, loads of gunsmoke and that terrible rotten eggs smell! Your pics look like you were having a whole heap of fun - I am jealous.

I wonder how you can see whether your target is dead or not through all that smoke.

I believe thats where the expression ‘fog of war’ comes from. Apparently soldiers during the black powder era used spend big battles firing blindly into clouds of gunsmoke. I’d imagine an indoor gunfight in the old West would be much the same after the first few shots were fired!

I load load my own BP shot gun Shells. I think about 70 gr of 2f. Makes much-um smoke. I also rolled my own 44-40 BP loads for that sweet 1973 Winchester I’m shooting off the horse. The cap and balls are Remmington replicas in 44.
It’s a lot of fun shooting all the BP guns but the clean up sucks! Most of the time I shoot a matched pair of Colt SAA in 45 LC, a Ubreti 73 carbine and a original 1897 winchester pump riot shotgun. All smokeless. I like being able to clean them in a week or two when I feel like it.
As for shooting thorugh all the smoke, it really does obscure all the targets. Espcially if they are painted white. And sometimes there are.
There was a gun fight on the Mexican border at Nogales in a saloon. There was some outlaw named Catfish or something like that. Well after 3 or 4 of them excanged shots, the saloon filled up with gunsmoke. It was so bad that they all scattered to the outside and finished it in the street/house to house before Catfish finally bought a ticket to boot hill. Or so they story goes. Remember the line from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? “When the legend becomes fact, print the legend”

I’ve only been on this sight for a week and am just starting to feel my way around…
I like it! It’s really well done. I’ve been a Western movie Maniac sense the 60’s. I have about 250 or so US westerns, but I’ve been a SW junkie for at least the least 20 years. I found the sight doing a search for a SW movie I wanted to find out something about. Well I guess I found Mecca.
Wheeu! That was a longwinded one Ea?

Cheyenne: Yeah, go on. Play, Harmonica. Play, so you can’t bullshit.

I’m no stranger to firearms, I’ve shot a lot of modern military weapons, but never these old guns

How accurate are they in reality?

In the Dollars trilogy Eastwood is a super crack shot as we know :wink:

[quote=“Lindberg, post:14, topic:1419”]I’m no stranger to firearms, I’ve shot a lot of modern military weapons, but never these old guns

In the Dollars trilogy Eastwood is a super crack shot as we know ;)[/quote]

The 1873 peacemakers wouldn’t hold a candle to today’s guns. They are not that accurate. Still pretty reliable as long as you’re within 20 paces or so.

[quote=“Lindberg, post:14, topic:1419”]I’m no stranger to firearms, I’ve shot a lot of modern military weapons, but never these old guns

In the Dollars trilogy Eastwood is a super crack shot as we know ;)[/quote]

Only the really well crafted long barrelled rifles had reasonable accuracy (but still not as good as modern rifles). Manufacturing technology, both for guns and ammo, just wasn’t developed enough. But those old guns are far more fun to shoot! Given a choice between a modern semi-automatic rifle that can empty a 30 round mag in as many seconds or an old muzzle loading buffalo rifle that takes 30 seconds or more just to load its single shot and I’ll take the buffalo gun!

Well…
There is lot of people that would say other wise about how accurate the Colt SAA is,
even right out of the box. The ones made now and back in 1873… I’d bet my life on one.
If you mean if I could hit something out to 200 yds, you’ll have to read Keith’s book "Sixguns."
The Colt Bisley SAA was named after the famous shooting range in England and was used in shooting competitions. The 1873 Winchester is no slouch either. As far as I’m concerned The Colt SAA and the Winchester “73” were the guns that won the west. But there is some debate on that too. My 2C.

Jill: What’s he waiting for out there? What’s he doing?
Cheyenne: He’s whittlin’ on a piece of wood. I’ve got a feeling when he stops whittlin’… Somethin’s gonna happen.

I believe that even with their primitive weapons, I would still bet on the likes of Doc Holliday, Bill Hickock, and Bass Reeves to win a gunfight against modern day target shooters any day.

Shooting clay pidgeons and paper targets is a totally different animal than the killing of men.

I’ll put it this way, no matter what the target is, these gun were accurate in there day. And they still are today. You not going to make a 1000 yd shot with a 73 winchester in 44-40, but a 200 yard shot is not out fo the question. Now if you were talking a Frud Brothers Sharps or Ballard then that is different. The quility of better made guns in the old west (Colt Winchester S&W Sharps Ballard …) was very high and can’t be rivaled today without the help of CNC machines. To say a Colt SAA was only good as long as you were within 20 paces…well…you aint shot one enough, or you ammo sucks or the bore is shot out.

Cheyenne: Do you know anything about a guy going around playing the harmonica? He’s someone you’d remember. Instead of talking, he plays. And when he better play, he talks.

[quote=“Cheyenne, post:19, topic:1419”]I’ll put it this way, no matter what the target is, these gun were accurate in there day. And they still are today. You not going to make a 1000 yd shot with a 73 winchester in 44-40, but a 200 yard shot is not out fo the question. Now if you were talking a Frud Brothers Sharps or Ballard then that is different. The quility of better made guns in the old west (Colt Winchester S&W Sharps Ballard …) was very high and can’t be rivaled today without the help of CNC machines. To say a Colt SAA was only good as long as you were within 20 paces…well…you aint shot one enough, or you ammo sucks or the bore is shot out.

Cheyenne: Do you know anything about a guy going around playing the harmonica? He’s someone you’d remember. Instead of talking, he plays. And when he better play, he talks.

[/quote]

By all contemporary accounts, it was the man who kept his cool and took his time aiming that won a gunfight in the old West. Less experienced gunfighters emptied their guns wildly in the general direction of their foes and then had to try and run away if he was still standing! Of course, even the coolest gunfighter eventualy was going to get hit by a random bullet if he got into enough gunfights. Explains why so many of the famous ones ended up in Boothill.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:18, topic:1419”]I believe that even with their primitive weapons, I would still bet on the likes of Doc Holliday, Bill Hickock, and Bass Reeves to win a gunfight against modern day target shooters any day.

Shooting clay pidgeons and paper targets is a totally different animal than the killing of men.[/quote]

Yep. Clays and Paper Targets don’t shoot back!