And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave / Los buitres cavarán tu fosa (Juan Bosch, 1971)

Saw this one this afternoon and was not very impressed. Quite pedestrian direction from Bosch and Craig Hill didn’t seem to fit very well in the film with the Sartana/Sabata type of character he played although he looked tough and cool. Fernando Sancho was not good enough in this one and the dubbing of his (own) voice was mostly terrible. I think that Nicolai re-used some parts from Have a good funeral…/Light the fuse… scores and if even he didn’t, some of the themes sounded tremendously similar. Very good score anyway. We mostly get medium shots of the exterior scenes and from what I saw I can’t say that I liked the locations, not much things resembling the old West… The action got a bit more exciting when Frank Brana entered the picture, but it was little bit too late to save the film from mediocrity then. 2/5 stars are enough for this.

The Italian DVD it´s quit good in (WS:1:78.) and the film is also good 3 out of 5 (nice Music Score)

Here I captured the credit sequence from the Argentinian VHS. Watch at you own risk, as it’s Fullscreen :wink:

I have an Audiodubbd version from a spanish TV Version (I think) It’sin Fullscreen, but the picture is good.
It’s a OK Western, nothing special. But the score is great !! :slight_smile:

[/url]

[url]http://www.directupload.net

I’ve seen the Wild East DVD. Actually I thought it would be another shitty flick of the seventies but it is enjoyable.
Craig Hill loses predominance for its pseudo-antagonist but despite that its discrete presence works pretty fine. Not bad.

Like the score to this, with the crow style sounds.

Enjoyable little Spag this and a cut above many of its contemporaries from the early 70s.
Not a masterpiece but well worth a watch and with a nice score too.

I love the title to this one, and have been wanting to pick up the Wild East release. I need to get off my lazy butt and do that!

FINALLY!

Picked this up with the new Lady Gaga album (SHUT UP! ;D ).

Yeah, just had to get the OST after hearing the great music sounding nice on the Italian dub… really good stuff

Also had a go at “remastering” the poster in photoshop:

Could still be touched up some more, but already spent too much time on it :stuck_out_tongue:

Blimey, those spaghetti western posters are genuinely wonderful. Cheers auteprex, your effort is appreciated. :slight_smile:

Haven’t seen the flick, but I’ve heard some positive opinions about it. Looks like a very solid second-tier spaghetti western. It may become one of my favourites, who knows.

Indeed…I am thinking of picking this “death rides a horse” poster but for same money could get dvd or two…
http://kuvat2.huuto.net/2/7d/f2a2d50a776395e3dd401a83f6eef-orig.jpg

Would look nice on the wall tho…

I cannot see why you shold be all that disappointed, Mickey. It is among the top twenty not made by Leone and a four stars’ film, at least in my book. It seems there is no review of it yet, so here some notes on it.
In the wake of the civil war a great many desperate men took up banditry. The attacks on stage couches became frequent. The heaviest hit was Wells Fargo which had a contract for shipment of gold for many of the principle banks. For this reason the government authorized Welles Fargo to organize its own private police force. This was how the “crows” appeared. Bounty hunters and others were given a carte blanche to hunt down bandits plaguing Wells Fargo, but no longer paid by bounties, they had permanent jobs now.
Jeff Sullivan (Craig Hill) is a former law man and bounty hunter assigned to go after Glenn Kovacs (Frank Braña) and his gang. Another “crow” going after Kovacs is Pancho Corrales (Fernado Sanches), who has a gang of his own. Sullivan buys Dan Baker (Angel Aranda) free from a prison’s mine for 1000 dollars. We are told that Sullivan plans to make a profit, collecting a 3000 dollar’s bounty on him in Lost Wally. But we soon learn that Baker has been part of Kovacs gang.
Written and directed by Juan Bosch Palau, it is his best spaghetti western, I think also Craig Hill’s best. The Spanish director has made a composed film, telling a not so straightforward story in a straightforward way. Released late in 1971, it is true to grimness of the earlier spaghetti westerns, striking the first note with Sullivan riding past a hanged man with a sign on his chest: Per aver rubato alla “Wells Fargo” (for stealing from WF). It is good in every department, seldom poor, and Bruno Nicolai’s harsh score is really driving the film on.
It is easily available from Wild East (2012) in a Craig Hill Double Feature with The Dirty Fifteen, with an English audio, and from Titanus (2010) with an Italian audio, no subs, Apart from language they are pretty much the same.

You’re talking to me? :smiley:

I haven’t seen the flick, morgan, hence I cannot be disappointed with it. The adjective ‘second-tier’ wasn’t meant to be particularly pejorative in the context. I just said the movie may prove to be a neat little flick; I don’t think it’s going to turn out some sort of prodigy. Even if it’s going to be really good, it’s likely to have its share of flaws.

[quote=“Mickey13, post:34, topic:878”]

You’re talking to me? :smiley:

I haven’t seen the flick, morgan, hence I cannot be disappointed with it. The adjective ‘second-tier’ wasn’t meant to be particularly pejorative in the context. I just said the movie may prove to be a neat little flick; I don’t think it’s going to turn out some sort of prodigy. Even if it’s going to be really good, it’s likely to have its share of flaws.[/quote]

Sorry, one o’clock in the night that came out wrong. What I meant to say, is I don’t think you will be disappointed, Yes, I’m talking to you! No prodigy. But it stands its own ground well.

No offence taken. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll check it sooner or later. Perhaps I’ll even purchase the Wild East disc, as And The Crows Will Dig Your Grave is released along with another flick I want to watch.

[quote=“Mickey13, post:36, topic:878”]No offence taken. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll check it sooner or later. Perhaps I’ll even purchase the Wild East disc, as And The Crows Will Dig Your Grave is released along with another flick I want to watch.[/quote]

Yeah, Wild East has the better one. As for The Dirty Fifteen, I think you will be disappointed! ; :slight_smile:

Well, we’ll see. I think The Dirty Fifteen has got a small group of fervid fans in here and is considered to be a lesser-known gem, so there might be something from which I might get my kicks.

Custom cover:

[url]http://img.3ezy.net/a1/a_656a4005281fd.png[/url]

(above cover is small-sized for forum post & linked to full sized cover - right click image/“Save Link As” for super hi-res printable image)

I watched it the other day. I’d give it three out of five stars. I could definitely watch it again. The Wild East print wasn’t outstanding but I’ve seen a lot worse.