And God Said to Cain / E Dio disse a Caino … (Antonio Margheriti, 1970)

The original aspect ratio is indeed 2:35, but the german DVD is in 1:85 because according to EMS they couldn’t find proper film elements at the time for their transfer.

I own the german EMS DVD myself but bought the cinecult DVD-R since it’s in the original 2:35 aspect ratio. Normally i don’t buy any bootlegs but in this case i already bought a legit release so i don’t feel too guilty about it. ;D

Good to know! Guess France will be my next port of call. It’s a relatively recent release (Feb 2010).

In favour of the EMS release it should be said that at least the wrong aspect ratio wasn’t a problem in any of the scenes. No cropped people at the sides.

It seems that Margheriti’s directing was very “centered”.

Still the original aspect ratio would have been better, but I can live with this release.

Do you think the Cultcine one is a darker print than the EMS one ?, or is it just me :stuck_out_tongue: .

To be honest i haven’t watched the Cinecult disc yet, i just quickly checked if it truelly was the correct aspect ratio.

Some bootleg companies like to make their own fake widescreen transfers by simply putting black bars over an already cropped fullscreen transfer to make it appear like an widescreen print. But this is obvious the real deal.

I did not notice the colors were somewhat darker but i haven’t compared it yet with the EMS disc. I’ll check it out this afternoon… But it would make sense that the Cinecult print looks somewhat different since it’s obviously wasn’t sourced from the german disc.

Thanks for the information, and know exactly what you mean re some places doing fake black bars…naughty people :wink: .

What is the source for the Cultcine disc? The French SNC / M6?

In my opinion, the problem of the German EMS is not the image format. But the bad sound. This had me really annoyed at the DVD.

Thats correct…the French disc.

No no, he has bought the original camera negative and remastered it and then added the English sound from another 35 mm copy. He ain’t working with other people’s work.

Are you serious? That must have cost him a small fortune. But ff he has that much cash to spend he should start a legit label and start releasing official DVD´s instead of these home burned DVD-R´s.

Read the Cultcine thread, and you know how “serious” I am.

Okay sarcasm isn´t always as obvious on the internet as in real life. But i catch your drift now. :wink:

Spared the smiley cause there were a few discussions too much about Cultcine and his asummed selling of other people’s work.

LOL yes and we all love him :wink:

We sure do !

We at “Por um punhado de euros” blog are still struggling to show this remarkable movies to more and more Portuguese speaking fellows. Here’s a review for this one:

Nice review, p.p
Are these screenshots taken from the French DVD?
They’re not in 2,35:1 and if I’m not mistaken you say, in the last paragraph, that the French DVD has this (the right) aspect ratio

Nope. This review was written by my friend Emanuel, we speaks French, so he often buy such releases. Since he’s to lazy to get some screenshots I had to use my Franco Cleef’s DVDr.

Wow great movie, great acting too by Kinski.

Actually quite surprised by the DVD quality of the Brazilian DVD. Great quality. In english too. and NTSC.

Had the excellent French disc hand delivered to me my friend who was visiting from Belgium!

This was the first time I had ever seen it and I was pleasantly surprised. In spite of the obviously fairly limited budget, there are some very nicely shot scenes that make this very atmospheric in points. As Scherp’s review points out, the scene when Kinski first arrives on his horse is great. I also really liked the one where he arrives in Marcella Michelangeli’s room.