American Westerns

There seems to be two types of people on this forum… those who like American Westerns, those who don’t.

I never really paid much never mind to them but recently, I’ve been getting really into them which started me thinking. Why do I like these films so much without having the same feelings for them as I do spaghettis? Well, the main reason I like them so much is that they usually have much better stories than spaghetti Westerns. One prime example is Pursued (1947) which has a brilliant story. sure there usually less action packed but the stories are more engrossing, thus not requiring so much action. Though a few do shine as great action films like Magnificent Seven, Wild Bunch, etc.

What are your thoughts on the American style formula of the Western?

Grew up viewing American westerns, and still view them today. Like to vary the westerns I view these days and not just watch Spaghetti westerns all the time. More gentle pace westerns like Monte Walsh for example make a refreshing change of pace from westerns with killings galore in. Not that I do not like westerns with lots of killings in.

Tend to watch U.S westerns made from the mid 60’s upwards. 70’s U.S westerns are my favourite as like the violent and gritty themes in so many of them.

Yeah, I grew up with them too and still love them. I’m a sucker for all of them but my favourite period would probably be from the late 40s to late 50s. That, to me, was when Hollywood mastered the genre and made films which consistently went beyond simple oaters. There was some good stuff made in the 70s too of course and, as I’ve said elsewhere, although we don’t see many made these days the ones we do get have been of a very high quality in my opinion.

American Westerns are ok but I’ve never viewed any of the John Wayne stuff and not in any hurry either.

1 Like

I love Spaghetti Westerns but American ones are great as well. I think the Goldern Age for them was the fifties when great, off-beat ones like Forty Guns were made.

I don’t like Italian Western which are trying to look like American Westerns. Only few of them are really good.
Overall I like US Westerns. Red River, Vera Cruz and The Wild Bunch are still some of my favourite Movies. :slight_smile:

I used to be pretty much exclusive to 60’s, 70’s westerns but only recently have broadened to 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, early 60’s westerns.

Of course, The Wild Bunch, in my opinion, is probably the best American Western ever made and only falls slightly behind Once Upon a Time in the West and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly for the title of best ever.

Me neither, I’ve only seen the Post-Leone Clint Eastwood ones. I remember seeing American westerns on TV on Saturday afternoon when there was nothing else to watch and they usually were boring to me. I guess I’d have to watch some of them now to get an adult perspective.

Try something by either Anthony Mann, Bud Boetticher or Raoul Walsh, their movies usually are quite eventful and exiting

I think The Man from Laramie or Ride Lonesome are a save bet, so to speak
You should like them

SaFe bet. Returning the favor for Meancholy. :wink:

But yes, I’d second those recomendations. Also, Michael Curtiz’s Westerns are quite good. Mainly the Errol Flynn collaborations like Dodge City, Virginia City, and Santa Fe Trail. All are a little more fast paced than others of the time.

But most of all, I’d reccomend both Pursued and Blood on the Moon. both with Robert Mitchum and both wonderful Westerns with a psycological tint.

Sure it’s not a safe be[size=14pt]d[/size] ?

I agree Pursued and Blood on the Moon are great films, but they might also be a bit slow and - yes - ‘psychological’ for those who are mainly familiar with the more action oriented Italian westerns.

Vera Cruz would be a good tip too, I suppose

Definitley Vera Cruz, supposedly an influence for Leone.

Tend to stick to late 60’s and 70’s U.S westerns myself, with the odd exception here and there.

Thanks for the recommendations. :slight_smile:

I came to appreciate American westerns only after years! There are so many cool ones.

To name few I’d recommend:

Saddle the Wind (1958), dir. John Sturges, str. Robert Taylor

• This one is tough, violent and probably the most realistic American western to the date. I would not be surprised if this one had any impact on sw.

Ride Clear of Diablo (1954), dir. Jesse Hibs, str. Audie Murphy

• Cartoonish American western, enjoyable. I can’t remember much of it but I gave it 4 stars so it had to be good. :smiley:

Winchester '73 (1950), dir. Anthony Mann, str. James Stewart
The Man From Laramie (1955), dir. Anthony Mann, str. James Stewart

• Two best westerns starring James Stewart, both are brilliant. Winchester '73 has original story with few good surprises that is somewhat told from the perspective of a rifle and it has one of the best winchester duels ever. The Man From Laramie is a detective story.

The Gunfighter (1950), dir. Henry King, str. Gregory Peck

• Well known psychological western about a tired gunfighter who wants to settle down

The Fastest Gun Alive (1956), dir. Russel Rose, str. Glen Ford

• Another psychological one, Glen Ford was another fav. American western hero and here he is the fastest gunfighter of all times who hides because…
1 Like