All Out / One for All / Copperface / Go for Broke / Tutto per tutto (Umberto Lenzi, 1968)

May 19, 1968

‘‘I nemici mi chiamano Gufo.’’
‘‘Ah! E gli altri?’’
‘‘Quali altri?’’ :smile:

3 Likes

They sure did aldo, and fast with this fine looking upgrade. :smiley:…I’ve always liked this one from Lenzi and J.Ireland and M.Damon don’t disappoint. A rewatch is due for tonight… :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Watched it last night and it’s perfect picture and sync - Haven’t watched since the VHS version and even then it stuck out as an above average SW.

John Ireland is excellent too … old school cool. Makes it look easy :smiley:

2 Likes

This is a very good film. For a Few Dollars More was definitely an influence for this one. It’s pretty much non-stop action with a nice soundtrack, too. It was great to finally watch a nice print since I had the VHS rip with Hebrew subs for ages.

2 Likes

This a thoroughly enjoyable spag w/great chemistry between John Ireland and Mark Damon. I just picked up a nice copy from the DVD Lady. I made a cover too.

1 Like

This SW could be compared with Dead Men Don’t Count since Mark Damon is paired with another well known actor John Ireland in stead of Steffen, and both films share the same music composer Marcello Giombini and the main theme in All Out is very good but maybe too often repeated instead of more variations.
I prefer Ireland to Steffen which secures the SW to be more serious when Mark Damon is the other main actor.
All Out is less lighthearted except in the final scene.

The locations are also very similar with La Pedriza, Colmenar Viejo, Hoyo de Manzanares and Ciempozuelos.
But I haven’t find out yet where the large church/monestary building which appears at minute 20 and 44 is located. IMDb states Ermita de Nuestra Senora de los Remedios in Colmenar, and there is such an Ermita in Colmenar Viejo for instance, but that location does not match with the view of the large building/ruin in the film, at least not outdoors from a distance. Neither do the surrounding mountains match well. It looks like Spain, maybe eastern Almeria ?
There is also an area near Rome where there are ruins used in SWs, but it doesn’t look like Italian mountains in the SW. But maybe only the interiors there was used ?

Furthermore there was a ghost town in All Out which I guess could be the old western town in Colmenar Viejo, close to the existing Ermita.

Overall I think All Out is a little little bit better than Dead Men Don’t Count mostly because of the slightly more serious mood. So another 6/10 rating seems suitable, Rank 56 on my SW Top 76.

54 Death at Owell Rock (Riccardo Freda)
55 Pecos Cleans Up (Maurizio Lucidi) music Coriolano Gori
56 All Out / One for All / Copperface / Go for Broke ( Umberto Lenzi) music Marcello Giombini
57 Dead Men Don’t Count (Rafael Romero Marchent) music Marcello Giombini
58 The Brute And The Beast/Massacre Time (Lucio Fulci) music Lallo Gori

1 Like

I once again searched for “monasterio” but combined with the spanish SW title, and the first google link gave me a short Youtube video with a monasterio that quickly led to the searched location Monasterio Santa María la Real de Valdeiglesias which is situated about 54 kilometers west of Madrid in the pueblo Pelayos de Presa.
It is a ruin but have been only slightly restored, so one little tower in the SE direction looks rebuilt. There is no doubt that the building is the same as in All Out.

But there is a very strange thing. The background mountains nowadays on google 3D, and maybe a few glimpses on google street view, do not match well.

I can’t find the “rocky” Tabernas-like mountains in the upper left corner of the screenshot above when I use google 3D, nor good enough match of mountains and hills in the upper right corner. Sometimes you can get fooled by google 3D but this time I doubt that.

Do we have another mystery a la ESPERANZA railway station and its unknown background hills ? :wink:

Below is a part of a link to google 3D in the area. If you copy and paste the link to a web browser it should function, just add https://www.google.se/ directly in the beginning to get the link.
/maps/place/Monasterio+Santa+Mar%C3%ADa+la+Real+de+Valdeiglesias/@40.3714803,-4.3295172,381a,35y,140.75h,63.1t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0xd41b224766cfd21:0xf657995cb1958d5f!8m2!3d40.3658928!4d-4.32254

The mountains in this shot are painted on glass … a matte painting.

1 Like

“The mountains in this shot are painted on glass … a matte painting.”

Excellent, aldo !

That is a logical explanation, which at least I also see as a possible little clue in some way or another to the ESPERANZA mystery. A problem there is that the the even smooth green hills background seems to be the same in a couple of different angles but maybe there is something fishy anyhow.

I enjoyed this movie.
It also led me to discovering the Santa Maria monastery which appears in a few SW’s. Also, found out about the wooden ranch scene in Manzanares el Real which also appears in a few SW’s.

1 Like

Go for Broke has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

4 Likes

I have been wanting to see this one for quite some time but have never had the opportunity. Much to my surprise, it has now popped up on the Tubi app under Copperface so I sat down last night to give it a watch. I wasn’t expecting much from the print but it turned out to be absolutely stellar! Anyone in the U.S. who has been wanting to see this one really needs to catch it on Tubi before it is gone.

As far as the movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it as it is far better than Umberto Lenzi’s other entry in the genre. This role was perfect for Mark Damon (I almost wrote “Matt” :grimacing:) and John Ireland was as cool as the other side of the pillow. To top it off, Monica Randall looks as lovely as usual. This is just a simple treasure hunt tale that is easy to follow and the double crosses are plentiful. All in all, a good time. :wink:

3 Likes