Adiós, Sabata / Indio Black, sai che ti dico: sei un gran figlio di … (Gianfranco Parolini, 1970)

In Italy Brynner’s character is called Indio Black, but on the soundtrack you can here a voice singing Adios Sabata. How come’s? Is this different in the italian version?

that gun, maybe my favourite in all spaghetti westerns!

The film was originaly called Indio Black but renamed Adios Sabata to cash in on the success of Van Cleefs Sabata. On my soundtrack CD they sing Indio Black. I also have a VHS release on which the film is called The Bounty Hunters. Most confusing.

I liked it, not so great as the first Sabata, but far better as the Return. I like the acrobat characters (there are even two, but not Canti). And Austrians portrayed as bad guys is very sympathetic for me as Hungarian. We had a Revolution, not far before the time of the movie, and it fell because Franz Joseph caled the russians. Then he (in fact his favourite dog, Haynau) let executed a lot of our officers, so we don’t like him and his kind. And what are Austrians doing here? Killing mexicans who have no chance. Typical.

Brynner is… strange. He plays like an android and his costume is… a little… gayish. He’s not as cool as LVC.

A little…gayish is saying the least I think. It is more camp than a row of tents!!
Good picture quality on the MGM DVD though, as usual.

Ignazio Spalla/Pedro Sanchez is really great. A little Tuco-type character, but he’s an individual.

Pleasantly surprised ,I liked this movie a lot more than i was expecting to.i think brynner fits fine in spaghettis ,the only problem i had was the fringe happy costume :-\

ADIOS SABATA 1971 YUL BRYNNER , Dean Reed , Susan Scott

A SW with many innovative, exciting gimmicks , weapons, camera angles, costumes
clearly show the work of former circus man Director Gianfranco Parolini.

A superb cast finds Yul Brynner as Sabata/Indio Black teaming up well with Dean Reed
The story and seriousness is a little tongue in cheek and the film has visual style/charm. Bruno Nicolai superb musical score adds to a rich script.

YUL BRYNNER is a legendary, heroic leader in MAGNIFICENT 7 60 and many more.

DEAN REED was a talented actor/singer who became a superstar in the Eastern block

DEAN REED made many Outstanding, violent, charming SWs, Adventures, Thrillers :

HIs Life Is Mine 67, BUCKAROO 67, Saranda 70, ADIOS SABATA 70 , The Corsairs 71

My vote for ADIOS SABATA is 15.5 out of 20.

I hear talk about this being originally made as an Indio Black movie and then re-titled as Sabata to cash in on the success of the first flick. Yet, it clearly appears that every character mouths the name “Sabata” whenever the name is spoken.

So, what’s the real deal here?

BTW, I think this is a very fun, very handsome production. Pure comic book, but a great cast that appears to be having a blast the entire time. That rifle with the last round being a cigar is hilarious and the fight in the barn is fantastic! It’s pure lightweight entertainment, but I find this one lends itself to repeat viewings very well.

True, very true.

Adios Sabata is a very entertaining SW. I always liked the Comic look of this movie. Austrians as Villians in a SW? Funny Idea, but it works. The MGM DVD has a good quality and so it’s fun to watch this lightweighted SW.

In Ulrich P. Bruckner’s Book “Für ein paar Leichen mehr” there is a Scene discribed I never saw in Adios Sabata. Neither in the TV Version nor on the German DVD Release. At the end a padre (the one you see in the beginning at the movie) finds some bags filled with gold at the doorway of his orphanage. Never saw this scene in this movie. It’s not an important one, but it’s strange that it is cut.

I enjoyed this one as well. Would have liked Yul to have been in more pastas.

I agree. I would have liked to see Yul in more SW. He would have made a great villain…

It’s another one of the many, less accomplished SW that manage to be very entertaining - more so, than some of the technically accomplished SW.

just rewatched this on the DVD. entertaining, and very nice score, but the script/storytelling is very patchworky, i had trouble following what was going on, and at times it all appeared very arbitrary

I gave this 4 stars.

Delivers everything one would expect from a Sabata movie including an action packed fun storyline,colourful OTT characters,the acrobatics,gadgetry and one of the genres best musical scores. :wink:

I agree with Sebastian. However, I did think the plot was almost identical to the 1954 american wester “Vera Cruz” which I love. I recommend Vera Cruz to anyo fan of adios sabata or spaghettis in general. It is often called the first spaghetti western. Sergio Leone and Sergio Corbucci have both expressed there love and influence for and by this film.But Adios, Sabat is not that great.

“Adios Sabata” is a proof that sequels are not always bad. It’s as entertaining as the first one. We’ve had a great villain (shooting to Mexicans should be an Olympic sport?), fantastic score, clever toys (ship!) and nice doublecrosser. Yul is OK, but he isn’t LvC :slight_smile:

No Sabata here!
I liked it. Better than previous Sabata’s, but is it really necessary to have all that jumping?!

[quote=“p.pereira, post:38, topic:96”]No Sabata here!
I liked it. Better than previous Sabata’s, but is it really necessary to have all that jumping?![/quote]

You should ask Parolini, it’s his trade mark
But I agree, it’s overdone

Generally I’m not a big Sabata fan, with or without LvC.