A Taste of Death / Quanto costa morire (Sergio Merolle, 1968)

I have had eye on tis film for a very time. But havent managed to see it. I will do so next week because my video store has a DVD-R of this film. Very exited.

What about this?

Is it out?

Somebody got it?

[quote=“Stanton, post:42, topic:551”]What about this?

Is it out?

Somebody got it?[/quote]He’s just joking.

Ah, ok, I wasn’t sure 
 Ha ha

Interesting story and the three main characters are a good mix which keeps the viewer watching. Theme song is great, but not one of favourite scores by De Masi. Like to look for small quirks in westerns, and the shooting of a snowman was one for me in this. Enjoyed much more this time round as even though I still viewed a fullframe print, I could actually see the wrinkles under the characters eyes in this print and not bad colours in the print aswell. My previous version was more like a black and white print.

Now without joking, there is a DVDR out of this one with a 92 min runtime according to Amazon.com.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Quanto_costa_morire/DVD

Anybody has seen it?

[quote=“Stanton, post:46, topic:551”]Now without joking, there is a DVDR out of this one with a 92 min runtime according to Amazon.com.

Anybody has seen it?[/quote]

NO, but this post got me curious enough to follow the link and order it. Still it’s not going to get here until between Dec 31st and Jan 13th!

[quote=“Stanton, post:46, topic:551”]Now without joking, there is a DVDR out of this one with a 92 min runtime according to Amazon.com.

Nope but it is probably this one which is described at www.ofdb.de:

Fullscreen tv-rip in sub-vhs quality 
 Doesn’t sound too inviting.

Damn
i was hoping that it might be the TCM one. I think i posted a couple of years ago in this same thread about not being able to order it at the time. Then again
i guess it still could be the same version they had for sale, as there was no description of quality on their site!

[quote=“Sþren, post:48, topic:551”]Nope but it is probably this one which is described at www.ofdb.de:

Fullscreen tv-rip in sub-vhs quality 
 Doesn’t sound too inviting.[/quote]

That’s surely the shitty VHS copy we all have.

At least the runtimes are different and it’s from a different label.

There is a better Italian copy, but it’s also beneath 90 min.

I just got that disc, and it looks like a 5th generation VHS tape.
And that’s to bad because the film is a real gem and it deserves a better release.
The film just made it into my alternative top 20.

And the runtime is beneath 92 min?

Yes it only runs 85 min.

I just finished watching Taste of Death and, yeah, it’s freaking great! The atmosphere is really palpable and there are some extremely tense and unnerving scenes, love the subtext too, I was captivated the whole time. I liked all of the characters and the main actors did a fine job. This is also the second western with a Francesco de Masi score that I’ve watched and I’m starting to dig his stuff, a lot. A damn shame that this is the only film Sergio Merolle directed and this makes the fact that it is very much a hidden gem even sadder.

Love, love, love it!

Felt like a change after yesterday’s Fidani and this one fitted the bill perfectly. Unlike Mr Deem’s action based fun fest this is all about the story, the characters and the mood and is a genuinely powerful film as a result.
Why oh why hasn’t someone put out a proper release of this film? If it works this well in a horrible, faded, fullscreen, vhs rip imagine how it would be if done justice to.

Yes, Phil !
I agree, a good DVD release for this film is overdue.
But this film often ran in the Italian and French television. And I’m sure, sooner or later there will come a good DVD-release.

This VHS version is terrible. But better than nothing. :wink:

First, i really like this Film. It’s so great.
One of the best scores I’ve ever heard.
But I have a question: Is there an English Fandub of the film available ?
Maybe from the Italian TV broadcasting and the englisch VHS ?

Having watched DAY OF THE OUTLAW earlier this week I thought it was the right time to give this one a watch as well. I will have to agree with what has already been pointed out - this film is closer to DOTO than THE GREAT SILENCE, distorted to the more inhuman and meaner of course, they were italians after all
 The score was pretty good and it was nice to see Corazzari in a leading role for once. I would have liked to see more snow though, in some scenes you get the impression that they were filmed during summertime and that detracts from the atmosphere somehow. It isn’t anything utterly mindblowing, but it doesn’t have any major flaws either. 3 solid stars from me.

Been told their is a widescreen english audio fandub to this one. Source is probably a Spanish T.V print. Do not know the running time.

Good News