A Talent for Loving / Gun Crazy (Richard Quine, 1969)

Watched this recently and hadn’t heard of it before. A British / American production from the same company that made both Beatles films. Apparently, this was supposed to be their next one as they were all keen to do a western but it never happened and having watched it I can see why. Worth seeing for a young Caroline Munro but little else as it is a comedy western and not of the best. Nice to see some familiar old British faces turn up like John Bluthal, Joe Melia and Derek Nimmo and even Ricardo Montez; best remembered probably as the Spaniard in Mind Your Language. The big stars are Topol and Richard Widmark and I bet the latter hated every minute of it.

A novelty but couldn’t really recommend it.

There was no page for it here but I think it should have one based on its British connection so I’ve made one.

That would’ve been something: All four Beatles in a western, not just Ringo

Could’ve looked something like this.

Yes it would have been!

It seems the original book, and screenplay, was written by Richard Condon who wrote “The Manchurian Candidate” which later became the John Frankenheimer classic.

Talent for Loving was released on at least video under the title Gun Crazy. It also stars Richard Widmark, Cesar Romero and Topol in almost cameo appearances to open the film. I saw the film on TV decades ago when I was looking for these obscure titles before many were released on video and later DVD. The score is Ken Thorne who did Hannie Caulder. It’s not a bad film but more like an English sex romp with more innuendo than sex. Tom Betts

That pretty much sums it up, Tom except Widmark and Topol feature throughout. Romero is certainly more of a cameo. The copy I watched was under the title of Gun Crazy.

“Gun Crazy” also happens to be the name of a film noir by Joseph H. Lewis who is best known for his classic noir “The Big Combo”. It has a really great heist scene filmed as one take:

I don’t get how this is so obscure, I mean look at the names. Not even a DVD, no posters to be found anywhere online… weird

Never got a proper release anywhere and then turned up on TV in the 1970s. Think it had a VHS release in America. Not sure why it was dumped.

Was filmed in Spain in 1968. Some A list talent involved. I read the novel and the movie follows it quite closely except that Topol’s character has been considerably beefed up and is in effect a composite of about 4 people in the book. The book isn’t very good in my view and the film isn’t very funny but I’ve seen a lot worse.

The print I saw credits Maurice Binder with the opening credits but what is shown is just a series of shots from scenes in the movie with credits superimposed and very clearly not Binder’s work.

1 Like

We really need a high res poster for this, can’t find one anywhere A Talent for Loving - The Spaghetti Western Database

Probably cos it was never released anywhere!

yeah, we may have to use some other image file. However, even though it never did get released theatrically doesn’t necesssarily mean there was never poster artwork… for some country