A Pistol for Ringo / Una pistola per Ringo (Duccio Tessari, 1965)

Just re-watched A Pistol for Ringo and realised that the movie was shot around San Jose (the movie uses the name San Jose also), Almeria.
In a recent visit to Almeria my other half was more interested in the windmill (renovated in recent years) while I was looking for the Cortijo de Genoveses (the prison from For a Few Dollars More) - see photos.
Both locations feature in the movie.

5 Likes

What a beautifully shot movie! Pure class. Def. one of the best looking sw I’ve seen. It is not yet as dirty and sandy as sw tended to be in later years but I actually like it for what it is and not dislike it for what it is not (uhhh). Some of the interiors at the start of the movie look maybe too polished and studio-like, esp. the prison and bank. The same goes for customes. At first it might be a little shock but soon I started to really enjoy it. Gemma plays smart-ass Ringo who himself should be considered a deadly weapon and sheriff indeed thinks of him the same way you do. There are some great contrasts I came to appreciate. Ringo is clean shaven, funny and most of all immature on one side, on the other he is a damn effective killer. He is very well characterized in the first scene he appears in which is always a good start for movie and introduction of a new character. Playing a childish game with kids and few seconds later killing 4-5 gunmen. It is so bizzare I could not stop laughing. But that is exactly what it was supposed to look like. There are more fun scenes like this later on, few times it even looks a bit like an early parody of the genre. All in all a lovely combo of jovial naive acting and quite violent scenes. 5/5

2 Likes

Yes the landscapes etc are beautifully shot. Last year my wife and I visited some of the film’s nice Almeria locations including the spot where Ringo played with the children and soon also with his gun, and we had a short run near the cortijo where the hostage was taken.
After several views 2018 I ranked A Pistol For Ringo only as a 6/10 and that was mainly because of some lighthearted features and I found it fair to separate it from the heavier The Return Of Ringo 7/10.

But I should watch it again soon inspired by your well spoken opinion, and may consider to raize it to a 7/10.The music I think was a rather weak spot as I recall in spite of being written by Morricone but maybe suitable for the varying moods (- in contrast to another Gemma-SW Long Days Of Vengeance which I also only rank as a 6/10 and which might be unfair).

I just watched A Pistol for Ringo for the first time and am pleasantly surprised how good it is. An enjoyable and compelling story professionally told and portrayed, good directorial touches and cinematography, very good performances by the main cast members, and all the action and gunplay you could want in a Western, Spaghetti or otherwise.

This film lives in a comedic sweet spot for me - a bit on the lighter side but not too much. I am a sucker for a charming smart aleck, anyway, and the lighter touch allows me to put away the “wait, is that realistic?” monitor in my head and just enjoy the film.

Contributing to my enjoyment: watching in the original Italian with English subtitles. I started watching the English dubbed version, but I quickly wrinkled my face and restarted with the Italian version – instantly more enjoyable. Dubbing is a real drawback for me compared to subtitles. The actors in every other SW I have seen spoke their lines in English with overdubbing in English to cover up English language issues with the Italian actors. That (actors speak English, overdubbed in English) works better for me than cross-dubbing (actors speak Italian, dubbed in English) but really any dubbing is a detraction for me – the movie magic disappears when the lips and the words do not match up.

I decided to explore the Spaghetti Western genre about a year ago (I started a Covid-19 project to watch the 100 greatest Westerns of all time, and ended up adding a side project of watching the best SWs of all time after seeing Once Upon a Time in the West). I have seen around 25 SWs now, including 15 of the top 20 on the Essential list, and other than the Leone catalog, I am having a hard time coming up with a SW that I enjoyed more than this one. (Have not seen Return of Ringo yet – that is next on my list.)

6 Likes

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Looks great (and it’s a favorite of mine)

1 Like

New poll at the top, guys. :arrow_up:

1 Like

Spoilers

Hi
I watched this last night, really enjoyed it.
The scene at the start with the two cowboys exchanging greetings on the street - it’s like a tv commercial one would see. Enjoyable scenes around the town and with the Mexican gang coming in. Sancho and his gang are boorish and ruthless - Ringo is a step ahead of them at every stage.
Ringo’s a great character. His dialogue moves the plot along and justifies all his actions with his outlook and principles. It felt like he might have been moving on Ruby at stages but it was all part of his plotting, probably.

The movie is at the lower end of the scale for violence and action but packed with great dialogue and lines. The major and Dolores plot is excellent - it contrasts with the less sympathetic Ruby and sheriff for me. The Major is a great character. Dolores - stunning and she develops through the movie with her interactions with the major, but it’s back to reality with the Mexicans’ regressive and chauvinistic attitude to her. Ruby aims to protect what she has and the Major looks to seize happiness for himself at a dangerous and bizarre opportunity.
Other good characters are the Colonel and Tim who appear throughout.
Great scenery at times in and long range shots of the horseback skills.

Fantastic soundtrack, one of the best.

I thoroughly enjoyed it
4 stars - it’s a matter of principle!

6 Likes