A Pistol for Ringo / Una pistola per Ringo (Duccio Tessari, 1965)

A Pistol for Ringo is one of the earliest SWs, so itā€™s not a great surprise that many costumes look a bit old fashioned.

Django, released almost a year later, changed the SW wear a lot. As had the Dollar trilogy.
Yet up to 67 many SWs costumes resemble more 50s US westerns than what many people imagine as a typical SW look. Especially the long dusters, which are associated by many as THE typical SW dress, do not appear as much in Spagies as one might think.

I strongly prefer this one to RoR although it hardly enters my top-30. 8/10

The Portuguese edition of this movie (Prisvideoā€™s Western Spaghetti collection) includes a small card as a goodie.

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Looks nice. How is the DVD itself?

The image quality is not the best (oldie), but it contains the original Italian audio (dolby digital 2.0).
No extras available besides the chapter selection.

This one is sold in a card box, with ā€œIl ritorno di Ringoā€.

More info at:

http://www.dvdpt.com/c/coleccao_western_giuliano_gemma.php

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

I was a bit dissapointed. Maybe I expected too much. I had some troubles not to fall asleep during the movie which isnā€™t a good sign for me. Gemma was entertaining as ever, the same goes to the All-Time Mexican Bandido Sancho and the gorgeous Nieves Navarro. For me the hostage-taking was too nice and somehow I missed some action in the mid part. Next to my complaints it has many good scenes and Iā€™ll give it another try in the future. :slight_smile: 4/5

I think also you can expect to much sometimes and for me aswell what kind of mood I am in.

Gemma is enjoyable to watch. Confident character and a little cocky at times, who likes to keep his strength up by having a glass of milk. Fernando Sancho just makes me laugh these days, as I cannot seem to take him seriously. Christmas setting is a little different but no snow of course, but the Major character does seem to have some fine Brandy.

The review of this movie has been revised:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Pistol_for_Ringo_Review

The old review is still available as the first post in this thread

Do any of us really need to say it?

I got an idea, lets abreviate Great Job Scherp with GJS.

But it is a great review.

I usually print your reviews Scherp and read them on paper, I think thatā€™s nice :wink:

Eventually it will be sort of like a book :slight_smile:

Only just got round to reading the updated review Scherp. Excellent of course. And a nice touch to link to Lorne Greeneā€™s song. That was one of the first records I owned as a kid and remember it very fondly. His version of the Bonanza theme song was on the flip side. Thanks for reminding me.

This is one of my all time favorites. Where can the new Koch dvd be purchased?

Amazon De is one place.

Thanks, ENNIOO.

A couple of scenen in this one are among the best in SW history. Ringo is filmed carefully. The one I like most is where Gemma is talking to Lorella De Luca. They are talking into the camera, which gives the dispute a quite active look. I also like the scene after that, when Casas and Navarro join them. The way the camera and the actors move is carefully composed. Great cimena!

Great movie. Not the kind of movie I usually like but anyways a favorite of mine. 4,5/5

I love when the dude opens the window to yawn in the morning & takes one shot in the forehead. That sums up this movie for me in 5 seconds.

I have to rewatch that scene :wink:

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:49, topic:938ā€]The review of this movie has been revised:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Pistol_for_Ringo_Review

The old review is still available as the first post in this thread[/quote]

Scherp, I was just reading your new review. It was up to your usual excellent standards but one thing jumped out at me:

Only the ending is a bit silly, with Gemma using a clock to deviate his bullet in order to shoot Sancho, who would otherwise be out of reach.

Isnā€™t it a bell rather than a clock that he uses?