A Man Called Django / W Django! (Edoardo Mulargia, 1971)

I sent Sebastian a notice, he’ll load it up on the official The SWDB Facebook page

1 Like

Good stuff, Mickey :+1:. I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for W Django. I first saw it at a time when I figured I was done with Anthony Steffen, but the movie - and Steffen himself; I think he’s pretty good in this - kind-of caught me off guard, in the good way. My less-than-zero expectations probably skewed my pleasant surprise somewhat into viewing the movie now more favourably than it deserves, but that’s no bad thing, really.

2 Likes

W Django! has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like

I rewatched this film yesterday and it was just like I remembered it: enjoyable but kinda lame at the same time. My man Anthony definitely wasn’t at his best here. Does anyone know if there was something going on in his personal life during the filming? He seems very drained and lost in his thoughts throughout the whole film. As if he was too tired to even try. He flashes a smile a couple of times during the movie but it’s not the same light-hearted smile you can see in his other films.

Also, I just giggled a little because W means “Win” or “Winner” in teen slang and can be used when someone is cool. So basically the movie’s name “W Django” translates to “Cool/Badass Django” in teen slang :joy:

3 Likes

I thought that was just his style ? :wink: … I was never the biggest ‘Steff’ fan, but I found this quite watchable / fairly entertaining.

1 Like

I would say that’s how Steffen would act in his later spaghetti westerns. If you watch the ones he did before 1969, he was putting more effort with his acting. It seems like he decided to continue doing the wooden stoic acting after “Django the Bastard” and “No Room to Die”. It’s really prevalent in “No Room to Die” and “Arizona Colt Returns”. He’s better at playing vulnerable characters like in “Shango”, “A Train for Durango” or “Two Guns for a Coward”.

3 Likes

I’d also say it’s just typical Steffen. I didn’t notice anything out the ordinary when I watched this one…going off of memory he seemed the same as he does in almost every other western he did. Have you watched Rome:The Other Face of Violence yet? Watching that made me realise he genuinely wasn’t a bad actor, I just don’t think he was great at trying to be like Clint Eastwood.

I’ve seen a few Steffen westerns but not any of them. I’ve had the Koch dvd of Train for Durango for a while now though.

2 Likes

Yes, I watched the film some weeks ago. It was a good film and the actors were great. The ending left me a little depressed though😅

1 Like

New poll for W Django at the top of the page on the original post! :arrow_up:

1 Like

I watched tonight. Pretty good overall. Comedy inserts are not my thing. Steffen does a good job. We also have a Tuco clone. There are lots of shootings. Average but cool.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would agree with that.

2 Likes

I think that sums up most of Steffen’s flicks imo

3 Likes