A Man Called Blade / Mannaja (Sergio Martino, 1977)

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:60, topic:292ā€]Sorry Colonel, missed this post earlier

Mannaia (or mannaja) is Italian for the axe used by the executioner[/quote]

Thanks Sherp! At least the title makes sense in this case.

I donā€™ t knowā€¦ every time I hear that songā€¦ ā€œYouā€™reā€¦ aloneā€¦ a sol-i-tary man.ā€ I have to laughā€¦ thatā€™s really bad.

Itā€™s my guilty pleasure :wink:

In my opinion it adds atmosphere to the movie. I think it was on the extraā€™s of the dvd that Martino (?) said that they wanted a singer who sounded like Barry White. Well, in that case I think they hardly succeeded, haha. Still not as bad as the Keoma singing though, but then againā€¦ what is?

Yes on the interview with Martino he did state he wanted a very deep sounding singer in the vein of the late Barry White.

The music isnā€™t to good, but the film more than make up for that.

The music isnā€™t the best for sure and youā€™re right the movie makes up for that deficit.

I didnā€™t like the ā€œbarry whiteā€ singing but I actually liked when the other guy sang.

ā€œā€¦your conscience will be satisfiedā€ LOL

I hated the ā€œlike a snakeā€ song though.

Funny thing though, I am a fan of the real barry white, but the guy they got sounded more like a black leonard cohen haha

Yeah I never got the feeling that it was a Barry White sound they wantedā€¦ it was kinda generic.

LOL! Yeah, I donā€™t think ā€˜soulā€™ was something they were thinking of when they put that in there. Black Leonard Cohenā€¦ thatā€™s classic.

Itā€™s obviously a Leonard Cohen copy, as is Keoma.

Come to think of it, it sounds like the same guy.

Is the Blue Underground release worth buying? Anybody owns it?

I would say it is, it can be obtained pretty cheap at ebay

Actually I wanted Seb tell to buy it in the US and bring it here :smiley:

If you buy the double shot with Run Man Run itā€™s even cheaper. But now I own two copies of Run Man Runā€¦
Mannaja BU release is a nice release.

It sure is. But then Iā€™ve never seen a bad BU release. They all seem top quality.

dvd pacific sells mannaja for just 8 bucks I think. Its a great dvd, worth getting.

Mannaja is the last SW I watched recently, and it was the first time I saw the movie.

I must say that the opening was spectacular and promising but afterwards it got a bit flaw. I think the Ax idea could have had more attention after the start of the film.
Acting was good imo.
Together with Keoma the music stays as a discussion. Either you like it or not. I like it and am a bit dissapointed that the sound track is very hard to get and therefore very expensive when on auction at ebay fo example.

For me Keoma was the better of the 2.

I like Sergio Martino & thought that this was a pretty good film - John Steiner is great - but it was let down by the absolute lack of charisma of Maurizio Merli.