A Hole in the Forehead / Un buco in fronte (Giuseppe Vari, 1968)

Yeah, he looked quite confident about his own opinions.
Thanks, Stanton.

Extemely confident.

There are several older threads with priceless gems of him. Incredible and hilarious stuff.

Just check Bill San Antonioā€™s signature. I chuckle every time I read it.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:82, topic:846ā€]Extemely confident.

There are several older threads with priceless gems of him. Incredible and hilarious stuff.

Just check Bill San Antonioā€™s signature. I chuckle every time I read it.[/quote]

heh, i noticed BillĀ“s signature, yeah. I was wondering what was that all about.

@ tomas:

I think this is the classic SD thread (he steps in on page 2 or something, youā€™ll notice his posts):

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,395.0.html

It has his brilliant reasoning why Take a Hard Ride is better than The Wild Bunch: It has Catherine Spaak while The Wild Bunch only has Borgnine!

Now thatā€™s what I call brilliance
Nobody beats SD on his home ground

Note: I noticed he becomes IMMORTAL 1960ā€™s along the (hard) ride

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:84, topic:846ā€]@ tomas:

It has his brilliant reasoning why Take a Hard Ride is better than The Wild Bunch: It has Catherine Spaak while The Wild Bunch only has Borgnine![/quote]

;D scherp, thanks for a good laugh - reasoning why Take a Hard Ride is betterā€¦
thats great

well now, i canĀ“t believe he was serious
no leading lady in Wild Bunch?
9 accounts?

Hey, Iā€™m the biggest fan when it comes to SD jokes but let the bygones be bygones.

Have to watch it once again, but I remember I couldnā€™t like it because of bad English dubbing. And the dialogues are just too long. Nevertheless it was very well filmed little gem by the great, but forgotten director Giuseppe Vari, with predictable, quite interesting plot though. The atmosphere is great, particularly in the monastery sequence. And of course the absolutely beautiful soundtrack by another maestro Roberto Predagio! :wink:

I have a feeling this is overlooked movie. Although the plot isnā€™t very elaborate, this is well-done visually movie with superb Italian climax. 3 stars for too long dialogues and unimpressive story, but still above average. Maybe after second viewing Iā€™ll rate it higherā€¦ :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œMickey13, post:88, topic:846ā€]Have to watch it once again, but I remember I couldnā€™t like it because of bad English dubbing. And the dialogues are just too long. Nevertheless it was very well filmed little gem by the great, but forgotten director Giuseppe Vari, with predictable, quite interesting plot though. The atmosphere is great, particularly in the monastery sequence. And of course the absolutely beautiful soundtrack by another maestro Roberto Predagio! :wink:

I have a feeling this is overlooked movie. Although the plot isnā€™t very elaborate, this is well-done visually movie with superb Italian climax. 3 stars for too long dialogues and unimpressive story, but still above average. Maybe after second viewing Iā€™ll rate it higherā€¦ :)[/quote]
thanks for the soundtrack man!!!

Without a doubt, this is my favorite Anthony Ghidra spaghetti. Good beginning, good pace and music is great. 8/10

This one started in a very classical pure spaghetti style if you know what I mean. Obviously not only cause of the SW, but with all the films Iā€™ve watched all over the years, in my view Italian directors (with a few more cotemporary exceptions), never cared much about the story, for them it was all the images the photography, Vari is no exception here.
Of course the budget for this must havenā€™t be much different from a middle class mensal salary, but still we have some stints of greatness in the form of some of the images and all the superb soundtrack.

The director is smart enough to give the film a more atmospheric feeling with a lonely gunman No name alike well played by Anthony Gidra, trying to survive in a treasure hunt with two Mexican bandidos as opponents.

It does have all the SW distinctive signs, religion, gold or money search, violence towards women you name it.

Gidra and Hundar are reliable SW actors or perhaps more than reliable, Gidra Balcanic looks fit well in Spags, and he only lacks a bit more of that desperate and suffering look a trade-mark of all the man with no name, Hundar a good actor and a very effective Mexican bandido, played in the right measure.

Complains, not many, only the English dub, these films without English speaking actors all should be seen with Italian language and the locations, such quality music and so many sombreros deserved an Almeria landscape, and not some Roma quarries
Still a good solid SW

English dubbing was horribleā€¦ I must watch a version with Italian soundtrack and English subtitlesā€¦

I always appreciate the movies made with minimum budget but well made and this one fits that description. It is interesting to see what director can do in those circumstances and for me confident directing is best part of this spaghetti western. Music is also nice as many have commented, my only complaint is that there is to few different themes in the soundtrack.

As for Anthony Ghidra, his face may look exotic to some, but his face lines are very common where I was born :slight_smile:
His stage name ā€˜Ghidraā€™ or Gidra came from common way people in ex-Yugoslavia give nicknames: invert the syllables. Gidra is inverted Dragi which is short of Dragomir, his real name. Of his Yugoslavian movies I recommend Walter defends Sarajevo. Those partisan war movies were called ā€˜Yugoslavian westernsā€™ and Walter is probably most western-like of them. You get to see a lot old-style action in that one and beautiful locations (most beautiful being Sarajevo itself).

Itā€™s solid entertainment, for sure. Flawless pacing, with an incredible score by Roberto Pregadio.

The gatling-gun scenesā€¦ I dunno. At the fiesta with people everywhere, Ghidra shoots his pistol in the air and only the guys whom he wants to kill are the ones whoā€™re lured into the killing-zone.

^ Iā€™m not sure I understand what you mean by ā€œonly the guys whom he wants to kill are the ones whoā€™re lured into the killing-zoneā€, I donā€™t remember him wanting to kill specific gang members.

Watched this as a follow up to the rather disappointing Tequila Joe and I was very pleased. I donā€™t know why this want the lead film of the double feature as it is clearly the superior film. Ghidra is great as the mysterious stranger and Hudar puts in a memorable turn as the villain. Could have done with a larger final, but I get a gatling gun scene in return so Iā€™ll accept it. Still not sure what the whole twist with the guy with the shotgun was, but luckily Hudar cleared it up before I had to think too much about it. Strong direction and good leads lifts this movie out of the middle of the road. 7/10

I rewatched this low budget Vari movie, called a gem by some.
I actually was criticized for being too negative (or not positive enough) in an earlier review, published elsewhere. I havenā€™t changed my opinon: I still think itā€™s an above average achievement, but I wouldnā€™t call it a hidden gem. It has itā€™s shortvomings, especially on script level. But itā€™s a lot better than the third-rate genre entries I have watched (in large numebers) over the last few months, so yes, in a way it felt like a gem.

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Hole_in_the_Forehead_Film_Review

1 Like

For me the real gem in Variā€™s western work is The Last Killer. That is an imaginative Spag with a much greater complexity than usual and Variā€™s moat assured film.

A Hole in the Forehead is definitely a good one. I prefer it easily to some of the famous Spags like Death Rides a Horse or Mannaja or even Day of Anger.

Havenā€™t seen The Last Killer and Poker with Pistols in a while. Planned to rewatch them in the next few weeks; Vari is a good runner up in the spaghetti league

Keep practicing English you are close to making sense.