A Fistful of Dollars / Per un pugno di dollari (Sergio Leone, 1964)

There are three differences between original 1964 credits and subsequent versions:

1. the first Wells/Lukschy/Rupp/Edger screen with brighter colors was replaced by the screen with Gian Maria Volonté name
  2. musica di Leo Nichols was replaced by musica di Ennio Morricone
  3. Regia Bob Robertson was replaced by Un film di Sergio Leone
3 Likes

True

https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/05/23/every-true-movie-fan-should-see-a-fistful-of-dollars-on-a-big-screen-at-least-once/

Fred Otnes’s supercool poster for the American release of AFoD:

Source: Christie’s

4 Likes

The original artwork for the Fred Otnes poster is going on sale at Heritage Auctions.

2 Likes

I’m watching this with English subtitles tonight with the sound off because everyone is asleep. I noticed some differences from the English dub dialogue. For instance, I wonder why “Don Miguel Rojo” is called “Don Benito Rojo” in the subtitles for the Italian dub.

1 Like

Perhaps it just sounds better in Italian ! … the way ‘The Good, the Ugly and the Bad’ doesn’t sound quite right in English … but that’s the literal translation :wink:

1 Like

Don Benito is slightly more sinister: maybe in the English language version the name was changed to Don Miguel because of Benito Mussolini, but the Duce was named after Benito Juárez, 26th President of Mexico and symbol of Mexican nationalism!

2 Likes

I agree with your every word. The massacre of the Baxter’s has a hellish intensity. Unlike the following two, FISTFUL is taut from start to finish.

I don’t know if this was already posted here but it’s some kind of “bloopers” from the film.

https://youtu.be/a3X4H8WYFi4

2 Likes

I was pleased to see it included on Kino’s blu-ray a couple of years ago.

https://youtu.be/YtMPI5q1J68

2 Likes

From 4:32 to 7:22
great anecdote on the ending of Fistful from the director of Circuito chiuso (1978) Giuliano Montaldo

3 Likes

Fistful dubbed in Navajo

Another language dubb.

2 Likes

A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS 4K UltraHD BluRay now available for pre-order (to support the SWDb use our Amazon links).
Click here to learn all about this edition >>> Per un pugno di dollari/BluRay - The Spaghetti Western Database

1 Like

There’s a fella on Facebook who’s really adamant that there is a 30 (!) minute longer version that used to be more available in the 80s… it’s the first I hear about it and can’t find any information on.

Redirecting... (see the comments there)

If such a version had ever been released, we all would long know about that. Especially if such a version had been shown once on German TV, which just did not happen.

2 Likes

I think it is one of those instances where childhood memories play tricks on someone :wink:

1 Like

Yes, presumably …

I doubt that he is making things up, but even that is possible.

At least the Italian theatrical version of GBU remains yet unreleased. And actually also the theatrical version of OuTW (but which runs 167 min, not 181 min), we still have only the slightly differing Paramount version.

Yes the Italian version of OUATIW would be great to have, even though the differences aren’t enormous, unfortunately the Italian BluRay not being so great and hardly English friendly…

But I’m not talking about that longer Italian version with 178 min, which I would like to have also on a Blu, but only for the sake of completeness, but what I really want is the original theatrical version, the one I watched countless times in cinema.