A Fistful of Death / Giù la testa … hombre! (Demofilo Fidani, 1971)

I think this is one of Fidani’s worst films. Really cheap looking even in Fidani standards. Kinski as a priest is the best part of the film but sadly his role is very brief. There’s too much talking and not enough action. Gordon Mitchell has his moments but he was better in some other Fidani films.

My rating: 2/10

I thought someone would mention that poker loss scene, hilarious “Arghhh so he fooled me using 5 aces, that bas-tard”

Really enjoyed this one. The best part is when they try to use the bushes as camouflage. Hilarious stuff!

This sounds like the best movie ever made. I’m gonna try find a copy.

What version is the one to get today? I purchased the English friendly German release:

https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=28043&vid=178128

Back in the day many many moons ago when I started my spaghetti western adventure, but is there a better release? Is the German one even uncut? The Italian dvd release seem to have a longer running time. Desperately in need of a UHD release :slight_smile:

The German DVD looks slightly cut. A few missing frames by the looks of it but it’s the only English friendly release. It’s also dirt cheap and has good picture quality, so it’ll do until Fidani gets the Arrow box set he deserves.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Had a feeling it might be missing some bits here and there.

Yes. I’m like you also waiting for that Fidani box set. Criterion might do it. Give it the same care they did with their Bergman box set. Would be a bestseller with a select crowd.

A brand new pristine quality print:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPc1Je_UT-I

Say what you want about the movie, but the main theme is just awesomely cheesy and Fidanesque, I just love it.

1 Like

I’ve recently revisited this one for some obscure reason (probably because I like that darn theme so much), completely sober this time around though. As a matter of fact, the movie is initially entertaining in the zero-budget sort of way: it’s got the genuinely appealing score courtesy of Gori, the autumnal/wintery landscapes have that nice, cheap charm to them and the whole offering has a nice, relaxing vibe to it, pretty good as background noise so to speak; suffice to say, things generally tend to look pretty rosy until the midpoint following which the flick goes totally south and then you can’t tell what’s going on half the time.

The narrative exudes a perversely elliptical quality in that it omits certain crucial scenes e.g. one bank robbery about which you learn from an exchange between two baddies IIRC; this is probably not on account of artistic intent, but rather due to the infinitesimal budget, I mean the whole production looks like ass, even the studio scenes look like crap. The story relentlessly meanders around and depicts various inanities e.g. the baddie staying low and impersonating a vet. Very little of it comes out interesting and this is all very listless for what is supposed to be second or third-rate action filmmaking.

Almost the entirety of the second half switches back and forth between fistfights and characters blabbering about the action, with the predominance of the latter though; I know Fidani constantly gets remonstrated for inserting profuse amounts of horseriding footage, but in this context, I think I like the equestrian gambol in the sandpits better. This is just like a less spirited version of a soap opera taking place in the West, but with just a bunch of dudes being mean to each other and Cameron fisticuffing Mitchell instead of the usual catfights.

While the first forty minutes or so are quite tolerable, the rest of it is bootless schlock. A good flick to doze off to, as long as you drop off before the film’s midpoint.

1 Like

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been updated to the new layout. Please let us know if you see anything that needs to be corrected. We also welcome facts and information, links, reviews and images.