$20,000 on Number Seven / 20.000 dollari sul 7 (Alberto Cardone, 1967)

Database page: 20.000 dollari sul 7 - The Spaghetti Western Database

Watching this one i couldn’t believe the same director made interesting and very good “Blood at sundown”. When you start to think too much about plot you disover it makes no sense at all. Except Spartaco Conversi [who has got the best pseudonym EVER in this movie - Spean Convery :smiley: ], the cast consists of unknown actors and the lead actor has to be the most dull lead ever. The music is repetitve and boring. Few interesting ideas [clock shooting contest, 2 interesting ways to hide guns] are being killed by terrible execution. And it has to feature the worst final shootout ever - there’s a moment when we watch the main actor running around sandpit for about 3 minutes and abosolutely nothing happens and we even haven’t got any music in the background. On the other hand we have music in the background in the scene when the lead washes his hands. Other thing that i thought was strange is this scene, i think the way it’s framed is laughable and somehow wrong ;D [but then again it could be me, my girlfriend said it’s not funny in her opinion]:

The worst thing about this movie is that it’s not ‘so bad it’s good’ as i like’em, it’s simply terrible.
1/10!

Haven’t watch this yet but I have the same version with the burned in text. Is there any other versions available?

I have never come across a different version in english…everyone seems to have the version you mention.

Saw the same version. Sure it’s bad, but it still managed to entertain me.

Custom cover I did a while back:

Surely not a good film but not as bad as I was expecting it to be after reading alk0’s review above. Main actor was awful and the plot didn’t make any sense but there was few nice scenes and interesting ideas which made the film entertaining enough. But I agree about the ending, just terribly boring running around the sand pit.

The same here.
I saw this a few days ago and expected a terrible trash.
But i can’t say that it is boring or bad.
The final could be better,it is absurd when Miali kick the corpse with the gun in his hand and shoot so his enemy.
Ok,i remember Gemma in ‘Long days of vengeance’,cast a spur into his enemys throat …
I know for this comparison I’ll take smashs ;D

A young man, Gary (Roberto Miali - although he introduces himself as Sterling Ascot(!) or Ascot Sterling…i’ve forgotten already!) comes to town to find the killer of his older brother. Aided by tow bickering, comedic sidekicks he uses a lure of a bag containing $20’000 to draw out the gang and their leader, the suspected killer, who can only be indentified by his frankly ridiculous habit of shooting with his arm twisted round his back and his playing of a “shoot the time on the clock” game.

Hmmm…i generally find something appealing in virtually all the SW’s i watch but this one was pretty much a total mess. Very choppily and confusingly edited, with some very silly gimmicks - guns in a till, a shooting key and the killing of one man by Gary via cocking and firing the gun of a dead man with his boot. As far as i could see, from the angle of the gun, this would, at best, have shot the other man in the foot even if it was possible. The fact that the audio kept dropping in volume also made some of the dialogue beyond my hearing, adding to the confusion. The end sequence also seemed to drag on forever. Also, for me, Miali has a face better suited to a villain. All in all, i can’t even say i hated it, it just had me thoroughly bemused and a little irritated!

Sure does.

[quote=“alk0, post:1, topic:1247”][url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/20.000_dollari_sul_7[/url]

Watching this one i couldn’t believe the same director made interesting and very good “Blood at sundown”. When you start to think too much about plot you disover it makes no sense at all. Except Spartaco Conversi [who has got the best pseudonym EVER in this movie - Spean Convery :smiley: ], the cast consists of unknown actors and the lead actor has to be the most dull lead ever. The music is repetitve and boring. Few interesting ideas [clock shooting contest, 2 interesting ways to hide guns] are being killed by terrible execution. And it has to feature the worst final shootout ever - there’s a moment when we watch the main actor running around sandpit for about 3 minutes and abosolutely nothing happens and we even haven’t got any music in the background. On the other hand we have music in the background in the scene when the lead washes his hands. Other thing that i thought was strange is this scene, i think the way it’s framed is laughable and somehow wrong ;D [but then again it could be me, my girlfriend said it’s not funny in her opinion]:

The worst thing about this movie is that it’s not ‘so bad it’s good’ as i like’em, it’s simply terrible.
1/10![/quote]
I have to agree. I didn’t even watch the whole movie, I stopped watching after 40 minutes because it was so awful!

Yep, this one is poor and, like Alk0, I can hardly believe it is Cardone’s work. His usual knack of making the most of limited resources lets him down badly here. All those aimless riding around scenes, fist fights and endless shoot outs without prpoer construction is not what I expect from an Albert Cardiff picture. I guess everyone’s allowed at least one stinker. The novelty stuff with the guns in the till, key etc were ok and at least added a bit of life but on the whole this one is not to be recommended.

Now when having seen the whole thing I can still say that I don’t like it. Jerry Wilson jus’ aint good as a lead.

This is easily Cardone’s worst Western. I found a few things interesting about the film, but it just wasn’t put together well, at all.
I don’t mind Jerry Wilson as a protagonist; but, he wasn’t given much of a chance to “shine” with this film.
Like Phil said, Cardone usually does better than this.
I give this one 2 stars.

So far, I generally think not very much of Cardone as director. A run of the mill one for me, with 2 films which are ok, but not good.

I actually rate Cardone quite highly in the ‘second tier’ of Spaghetti directors. He never had great budgets but usually managed to produce good work with some inventive direction without stooping to the endless shootout, fistfight, riding around aimlessly laziness which a lot of other jobbing directors did at this time. 20.000 dollari sul 7 is the exception to this and not typical of his work at all as far as I’m concerned. The other 4 of his westerns I have seen (Blood at Sundown, 7 Dollars on the Red, Wrath of God and Kidnapping) have all been very solid, mid range Spaghettis.

Ooops, forgot a “not” in my above post, which is now edited. Now both sentences make sense together, although not in the sense of my dear friend Phil.

I completely agree with this assessment, Phil!
For whatever that is worth. :wink:

I like trash westerns, but this really couldn’t keep too much of my interest because I didn’t have a clue what really was going on, haha. I did in fact fall asleep for a few minutes only to wake up at the very end with the guy running around doing nothing for a few minutes. I don’t understand why there was so much silence – was that intended or is the version we all seem to have (with the “for screening only” burned into it) flawed? I didn’t mind the music too much actually, it was kind of trippy with all of that vibrato / leslie action (or was that a flaw in the audio?) With all of that said… I doubt I’ll ever watch or think of it again!

As a whole, an undoubtedly poor SW (currently in my Bottom-10).

For unknown reasons the number seven is strangely recurring in this one (hotel room, clock shooting contest, final confrontation time). There are also some “parolinate” (the gimmicks described in Reply #6) without - and before - Parolini. :smiley:

A few screenshots from the Italian TV version

Wow, great quality!

Never expected to see this quality for a so so western.