10,000 Ways to Die (Alex Cox)

Yep, one of the best scenes in the movie.

I was seriously considering buying this but after reading a lot of your comments I’ve decided not to. I particularly don’t want to read a book that’s anti-Tony Anthony.

I still refer to his book now and again if i’m in need of a good chuckle.

1 Like

I watched Cox’s piece on the Great Silence blu last night. I always enjoy his input, more as a ‘character’ than trustworthy film scholar. I saw Repo Man and Sid & Nancy when they were released and find it curious that he seemed to lose the plot after such early promise. Curious but not unusual - so many interesting movies are directors’ early works.

The most far-fetched comment he made regarding Silence was that it was possibly the greatest SW made. Having rewatched it, I’m bound to say, notwithstanding the many things it has going for it (score, cinematography, setting, performers and atypically bleak narrative) I just can’t overlook the ham-fisted directing of actors and po-faced handling of genre clichés.
You can love a movie without pretending it’s a masterpiece.

1 Like

Amen … I agree completely.

Cox still hasn’t grown up … he’s a 63 year old man who acts like a petulant teenager - Believing it cool to be contrary, and seemingly that his opinions are of such high worth.

To me he’s a failed director who’s spent most of his career talking about other people’s work as though he were the doyen of film analyse.

1 Like

It’s a shame he’s now been condemned to DVD featurettes.

I do find it amusing how the guy behind Repo Man calls out other people’s films for being ‘silly’ :smile:

1 Like

Isn’t he that ugly looking dude?

I watched this recently too and was left wondering why he did not mention such a great Corbucci classic as Navajo Joe? Perhaps he hates it. I think it’s a fine film and expecting the Kino blu-ray to arrive any day now in the post.

I might get the book next pay just for the heck of it. I’ll definitely be getting the Sartana box set in October if it’s still available.

If I remember correctly he mostly bashes it in this book.

Yeah Navajo Joe is one of his most hated I think.

Well, he’s condemned himself, and is fortunate enough to have any career, particularly as he’s still pissing people off with his inaccurate info and sweeping statements.

Cox wants so desperately to be a cult director, but instead he’s resigned to making a few controversial remarks on the work and careers of people he has no access to.

It may have been vaguely interesting 30 years ago when he hosted the series Moviedrome, which introduced UK film fans to many previously unknown films. But he seemed less hostile then and genuinely passionate … now he comes across as an arrogant old malcontent.

1 Like

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder … but, yeah that’s him. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No viable extras for an upcoming DVD? Just film Alex Cox talking about the director for a few minutes.

1 Like

Yeah, …. he’s like the ‘Better Call Saul’ of bonus features :grinning:

2 Likes

I think many comments on Cox here are overly harsh.

His book is well written and an informative read. He makes some unnecessary mistakes, but that does not destroy the value of his work.

2 Likes

Agreed. If you gentlemen want to debate Mr. Cox’s merits (or lack thereof dependant on your point of view) as a filmmaker or as a critic then have at it by all means, but the jibes on his looks are a cheap shot. So let’s pack that in straightaway. Thank you.

3 Likes

I enjoyed his commentary track from the Kino Death Rides a Horse (though I’m no expert so I don’t know if he made mistakes) and looking forward to hearing his one for The Mercenary. I would never judge him based on his looks but it made me a bit sad to hear that he made fun of Tony Anthony’s looks in his book. I will probably buy the book anyways just to have a copy.

Don’t know how much they paid him to sit through that film, but the biggest compliment he gave it was how blue the sky was in some shots.

I appreciate Cox’s enthusiasm and his dedicated championing of SWs. I think where he falls short a little in his film criticism is in throwing out opinions without providing much support for them, but it gives one something to react to.

He describes Compañeros as a bad remake of The Mercenary. I enjoyed both and don’t recall which I prefer, but rate them as Corbucci’s best (above The Great Silence and Django) because of their more playful tone.

1 Like

His opinions about il mercenario and Companeros are his opinions, and they must be respected as every other opinion, but also can be questioned and discussed just like every other opinion.

But that someone who dislikes a certain film is hired to comment it, for that the distributor must be blamed. This is incredibly dumb.

In the case of Il mercenario it is, from my point of view, quite interesting, how he is able not to see all the things which are there. Especially considering that he likes Corbucci, and wants to push his reputation. In that special case I really think he does not understand Il mercenario, nothing of it.

Il mercenario is an underrated film, and Cox helps to cement that status. Shit happened …