šŸ¤— Welcome to the SWDb Community!

Lol!! ;D

double lol ;D ;D!

Hi everyone!

I finally decided to ā€œofficiallyā€ register hereā€¦after months of ā€œlurkingā€.
This database has been a great resource for me. Iā€™ve discovered a bunch of great movies that I probably never would have seen if it hadnā€™t been for this siteā€¦anyways, Cheers! And thanks!

welcome!

[quote=ā€œTheSlobby, post:303, topic:30ā€]Hi everyone!

I finally decided to ā€œofficiallyā€ register hereā€¦after months of ā€œlurkingā€.
This database has been a great resource for me. Iā€™ve discovered a bunch of great movies that I probably never would have seen if it hadnā€™t been for this siteā€¦anyways, Cheers! And thanks![/quote]
WELCOME!!! ;D ;D
many SPAGHETTI WESTERNS for all tastes and pleasures

Welcome to town !

Greetings are not for Banditos, amigos! 8) See you, around! :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome Tepepa, enjoy the ride. :wink:

Greetings :smiley: .

So do I. Which part?

I live in Catford , where abouts do you live ā€¦all the best Alan.

Oops, I just realized that the post I made herehttp://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,246.msg121786.html#msg121786 really belongs in this thread. :-\ Iā€™ll quote it for the lazy:

[quote=ā€œMrE2Me, post:281, topic:239ā€]Howdy, yā€™all. Iā€™m a Yankee, born and raised in the northeast (western Massachusetts, to be exact). For a long time, I didnā€™t much care for westerns - American ones, at least. They were the movie equivalent of country music to me, and I didnā€™t feel much connection with or interest in the subject matter. (I also didnā€™t give them enough of a chance, but I think that happens a lot with young people.) However, when I eventually gave the genre another shot, something about our westernsā€™ ā€œspaghettiā€ cousins did appeal to me, even moreso than those made here. Perhaps it was the different approach to the subject matter that is inevitable in a film made largely by people from other countries, but there was a certain vibe about SWs that stood out to me, a unique sensibility. They seemed to focus more on the characters and broach broader themes, without getting as bogged down in specific American politics. They werenā€™t nearly so blindly pro-America and anti-Indian, for example.

Of course, Leone was responsible for my initial love affair - Once Upon a Time in the West blew me away and still remains my favorite western, spaghetti or not - but Iā€™ve been working on broadening my horizons lately. (Your Top 20 lists have been a great help with that. I started with QTā€™s and have now seen all of those + your main Top 20. Currently working on the Alternatives and runners-up.) Iā€™ve been a fan of Fulciā€™s for a long time, due to his horror output, so Massacre Time was one of the first non-Leone SWs I watched and enjoyed. It introduced me to the phenomenon that is Franco Nero - an actor Iā€™ve quickly grown to love now that Iā€™ve had a chance to get a little more caught up on the classics. Nero, Milian, Kinski (who I knew previously), Volonte, Gemma (who Iā€™d only seen in Argentoā€™s Tenebre) and (of course) Van Cleef have become like old friends to me while I work my way through these gems. Itā€™s also been fun hearing some of Morriconeā€™s lesser-known scores, as well as those of his colleagues, who mustā€™ve fought hard not to get lost in his vast shadow. A particular pleasure has been catching all the bits of music Tarantino has used (mostly in the Kill Bill films). The dude has great taste, whatever you think of him as a director.

I now know that there are ā€œthree Sergios,ā€ and why they are considered by most to be the best of the SW directors. Of the SWs Iā€™ve seen recently, those that stood out the most, for various reasons, were The Great Silence, Keoma, Cemetery Without Crosses and Django, Kill! (If You Live Shoot!). Loved the first 3, still not sure what to think about the last oneā€¦ :o But it was unique and original, and largely well-made, which goes a long way in my book. (Honorary mention goes to Django, not just for its importance in SW history but the seminal image of the wandering gunslinger toting a coffin.) Currently working on Blindman, and based on the opening 5 minutes alone, I think Iā€™m in for a treat.

But thatā€™s more than enough about me. Canā€™t guarantee Iā€™ll be a huge presence on this board - Iā€™m already spread pretty thin over so many sites :-\ - but Iā€™m sure to pop in and give my thoughts as I plow through your lists. Itā€™s always fun to talk with like-minded folks from all over, and I have so much to learn yet that itā€™ll be a great education as well. Thanks for putting together such a great db and forum, and thanks for reading! :smiley:

~Chris[/quote]

Anyway, hello everyone! Good to be here. :wink:

Welcome MrE2Me, and your foray into the SW world is very similar to mine! I didnā€™t have much interest in westerns either but than 4 years ago I saw For a Few Dollars More and it changed my life forever.

Thanks, Colonel! Yeah, Leone is a pretty safe bet for any newcomers to the genre. The only drawback (though it can be significant) to SWs in general is the terrible dubbing, but to me the pros usually outweigh that con. Plus, Iā€™d already grown immune to bad dubbing via Fellini, Argento and Fulci films. I imagine not having to worry about sound gives the directors a lot more freedom when shooting, too.

Personally, when I can I watch my SW with Italian dubs (except for the Leone and a few others), they tend to be of really good quality. Oh, and welcome!

[quote=ā€œI love you M.E. Kay, post:315, topic:30ā€]Personally, when I can I watch my SW with Italian dubs (except for the Leone and a few others), they tend to be of really good quality. Oh, and welcome![/quote]Well, the lip-synching never really matches, so that automatically hurts the experience for me. The vocal performances usually vary in quality, in either language. Obviously, I prefer to hear the real actorā€™s voice, and often some of them only speak English while others only speak Italian, so each track has its plusses. I have no issues watching films with subtitles, but because the lip-synching issue affects all spoken languages, I tend to choose the English dubs when it comes to SWs.

Thanks for the warm welcome! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Also, I find that by watching the English dub with the subtitles on, you quickly see how the two versions differ in dialogue and information. Itā€™s a bit of a schizophrenic viewing experience, but Iā€™ve gotten used to it by now. Why are they so often different, by the way? Who is responsible for drastically altering such a fundamental aspect of a film? Itā€™s all quite sketchy, IMO.

i think the message is: donā€™t be scared. there are a few frightingly old people in here lol but we all mean well and we like to cuddle

[quote=ā€œSebastian, post:317, topic:30ā€]i think the message is: donā€™t be scared. there are a few frightingly old people in here lol but we all mean well and we like to cuddle[/quote]Yes, but online ā€œfrighteningly oldā€ = over 30. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like I am shit out of luck then :smiley: .

Me too. At 33, I feel positively prehistoric. I guess we can be the online equivalent of the token ā€œsilly old menā€ in most SWs, pestering all the youngā€™ins.