The Last Western You Watched?

Ah, now that was much more like it. Shoot the Living and Pray For the Dead (Vari, 1971) is a taut game-of-two-halves type of movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Klaus Kinski is in magnificent form, maybe the best of his Spag career. Not just him, though; the entire production is a cut above.

[size=12pt]The King and Four Queens [/size]- 1956 - Raoul Walsh

[url]Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

Itā€™s the second time I watch this one, I was thinking it was a first time, by I didnā€™t remember the title only a few scenes.
I was never really a big fan of Gable, I guess I never seen much of his films. This little western is really nothing special but itā€™s fun to watch, and that is the finest compliment that can be made about the King and fur Queens.
The plot is very simple Gable, plays a con man that hears about a treasure buried in a ranch kept by four young widows and their mother in law. The women were all married to the four sons (a bunch of bank robbers), of the old lady, and only one is known to be alive, but no one knows which, so all the ladies/widows have been waiting for two years for their husband to come and take the treasure, of course two years is a long time for such young and beautiful ladies. So the film is mostly Gable showing is charms around, while trying to find out where the treasure was buried.
Not quite a comedy western but almost, at least is not a pure comedy, still very light stuff in style, also some strong sexual overtone for a fifties film, one of ladies the almost takes her cloth off in order to take a bath with Gable in a lake. I remember watching a Spanish film with a very similar premise, Truebaā€™s Belle Epoque (first Penelope Cruz long feature), with a similar lake scene.
One of those film you will only watch once, thereā€™s some kind of twist in the end, and Gable even sings a song, the general mood is quite pleasing, best thing in the film is how Gable deals with very different gals that despite their different personalities really want the same thing. Strong performance from Jo Van Fleet, playing the old lady.

Ah, how content I am that you enjoyed the film. Yes, itā€™s a very good pic. The fact that some people dislike the movie probably stems from its slow pace which puts some people off. For me, itā€™s one of the most atmospheric low-budgeted spags.

The Great Chihuahua Treasure Hunt

Quite enjoyable caper movie, made in '72, but could have been a '67/'68 movie
Nice mix of tongue-and-cheek & tough action, with Rosalba Neri in fine form (in any possible meaning)

Review coming up

Yes nice mix like you say and it works, unlike some of course which try and fail.

ā€œRita of the Westā€ - found it on youtubeā€¦bizarre (a musical spaghetti western) but a great 30 minutes or so the middle, parodying Clint, Ringo, and Djangoā€¦

Iā€™m still behind by a couple of pictures but today I gave a re-watch to The Strangerā€™s Gundown aka Django the Bastard (Garrone, 1969), which I enjoyed a lot more this time than last, and I gave a first look to May God Forgive Youā€¦ But I Wonā€™t (Musolino, 1968), which I thought was fun if unremarkable. Well, I say unremarkable, but there was a pretty remarkable gatling gun slaughter at the end, on a ranch: Humans killed - approx. 500. Horseys, cows and chickens caught in the crossfire - not even one. Now thatā€™s some shooting, Cjamango!

After taking a break, all of a sudden Iā€™m watching Spaghettis againā€¦caught ā€œBlack Jackā€ on youtube as well, rotten copy, probably better with a nicer print.

Also saw ā€œAnd God Said to Cainā€ for the first time - between that and ā€œDjango the Bastardā€ Iā€™ll never look at ā€œHigh Plains Drifterā€ the same againā€¦

Re-watched MƔtalo! (Canevari, 1970) yesterday; still seems to me to be a movie frustratingly determined to snatch mediocrity from true greatness, thanks to a couple of fuckawful missteps. Those aside though, it really is a cracking film.

Todayā€™s movie is supposed to be Twice a Judas (Cicero, 1968) but I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to get the opportunity. Thatā€™ll leave me three behind with three days left! Very tall order now to complete my ā€œ30 Spags in 30 Daysā€ November odyssey. Iā€™m pretty pleased with how itā€™s gone though, and Iā€™ve got my schedule all lined up now for Decemberā€™s ā€œ31 Days of Christmasā€.

acquasanta joe It`s extremely rare case when get zero enjoyment from sw but this is so awful. Everything in movie is bad. 90 mins of life wasted. Avoid this wreck.

Right, itā€™s this simple: I either watch all six of these over the weekendā€¦

Execution (Paolella, 1968)
Face to Face (Sollima, 1967)
Twice a Judas (Cicero, 1968)
10,000 Dollars For a Massacre (Guerrieri, 1967)
Garringo (Marchent, 1969)
The Mercenary (Corbucci, 1968)

ā€¦or Iā€™ve failed my Spag odyssey. I can do this. Iā€™m going to prioritise Execution, Twice a Judas and Garringo though, because Iā€™ve never seen those. Just in case I donā€™t make it.

days of violencewas ok. I expected more thanks to loads of praise from my friend but it did not quite deliver. Storyline is good, but (for me) director&actors failed to create enough drama or tension.

Maybe I am still recovering from magnificent ā€œday of angerā€ and after next screening I like this more. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thatā€™s Twice a Judas and Execution out of the way. I didnā€™t mind Twice a Judas; it didnā€™t blow my mind but it was a decent little divergence. The lead guy (checks - Antonio Sabato) was a bit one-note I suppose, but Klaus Kinski more than made up for that. Execution - well, itā€™s a decent looking film but it seemed a bit hamstrung by characters making boneheaded decisions in order to progress (or hinder) the story.

[i]ā€œIā€™m not John Coler, Iā€™m his brother! Johnā€™s got a tattoo on his right arm, right?ā€

(general agreement)

ā€œRight, well, check my arm!ā€

(No tattoo)

ā€œOkay, youā€™re not John Coler.ā€[/i]

Hey, fella! Did it not occur to you to mention the tattoo thing BEFORE you were tied to a stake and mutilated with a fucking MACE? Because Iā€™d mention that right up-fucking-front!

And so on. That said, itā€™s got a weird, spaghetti-like vibe going on that I respond to (especially as the movie moves on), so itā€™s kind-of frustrating, really. Maybe that good old second look will make or break it for me somewhere down the line.

10,000 Dollars For a Massacre and The Mercenary got their re-watches last night, and largely cemented my opinion of them both as top-draw movies. I even caught mrs.caress watching The Mercenary along with me, and as a rule she doesnā€™t especially care for westerns and has no time at all for spags. Watching Garringo for the first time right now, just Face to Face to (re)watch tonight and Iā€™ve done my 30 spags in 30 days, even if I didnā€™t quite do one per day every day.

EDIT: Garringo was really enjoyable, I thought. A few daft double crosses at the end which robbed the movie of its protagonist/antagonist showdown marred events slightly, but Iā€™m nitpicking. A very easy watch.

I think Iā€™m starting toā€¦ like??ā€¦ Anthony Steffen. No, not in that way, you dirty hobbits; I mean that Iā€™m enjoying his work lately, and Iā€™m thinking that maybe heā€™s more than simply a plank of wood with a face drawn on, which was my suspicion for quite some time.

Joining the fanclub. I already know two members ā€¦ (and no, Iā€™m not one of them)

Klimovsky: Torrejon City[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/TorrejĆ³n_City[/url]
-Comedic spanish western from 1962. Tony Leblanc plays both spanish immigrant who becomes a sheriff and his cousin who is notorious outlaw. Doppelganger theme seems to have been popular in pre-Leone eurowesterns, I feel like Iā€™ve seen half dozen of them already. Not particularly funny film and there isnā€™t much any action either.

Today: Taste of Death (Merolle, 1968). Good - very good, really - without being remarkable. Well, John Ireland and Bruno Corazzari are both pretty remarkable in it, so thereā€™s that. Enjoyable enough way to use up an hour and a half, anyway. Score is a bit old fashioned and overwraught, but thatā€™s about the worst I can say of it.

Four Candles fot my Colt (1971, Ignacio F. Iquino)

A stagecoach robbery, one of the villains trying to steal the gold but found dead the nex morning, a greedy widow, a sexy stepdaughter, Robert Woods as a sheriff caught between two fires - it all seems to be there for an enjoyable spaghetti western ride, but somehow they blew it, almost completely. The second half is a bit better than the first and thereā€™s a good cat fight, but then we get an endless fist fight instead of a spaghetti western duel to round off the whole thing. What the hell is that?

Iā€™ve never seen Woods in such a hyperactive mood. His performance must be seen to be believed.

More Dead Than Alive (1969)
Average western with Clint Walker in the lead. The big fella plays ā€œKiller Cainā€ in this and after serving time in prison, he wants to go straight. But after joining a traveling sideshow as a gunslinger run by ( the great Vincent Price ) trouble follows. Enjoyed watching this, it was different for sure.

cjamango. I love it, story goes on nicely. Music score is really good and there is enough gunsmoke to satisfy my bloodthirst. Maybe the kid was bit irrating or more like drama overdone with his character involved but that besides, flick is masterpiece. Koch media disc was certainly great purchase.