The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

Or he just loves despite of the shortcomings he sees. I have the same thing with ā€œHeavenā€™s gateā€

[quote=ā€œLindberg, post:157, topic:307ā€]Why doesnā€™t he like DYS ?

That movie often has a sombre and bittersweet mood, enhanced by Morriconeā€™s beautiful score[/quote]

Maybe this will leave you wanting an answer and make you buy the bookā€¦

Hmmm, yes, after reading Coxā€™ article he seems really to sound pretty negative about GBU. But if we have a quick glimpse at his top 20 he gave to Phil just a few weeks ago, then we see surprisingly GBU at #3. And the genius film The Great Silence only on #5.

Maybe he forgot to tell us about the merits of GBU while being busy to ramble about some minor flaws?

Itā€™s btw rather interesting that he wants to praise the underrated Corbucci in his book, but prefers 3 Leone SWs over TGS and Django. Next to being very negative about most of Corbucciā€™s other westerns.

No Iā€™m in no hurry to buy this book actually :o

Or; Eastwood droped out of a film Cox was making between writing up his Top Twenty and writing the chapter on ā€œThe Good, the Bad and the Uglyā€ā€¦

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this butā€¦
Here is a mashup I made using Ennio Morricones GBU and Ruined In A Day by New Order

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/26/2419715/the%20good%20the%20bad%20and%20the%20ruined.mp3

I call it The Good The Bad And The Ruined.

Fun

Cool samples of dialogue

Is this true?

In 2002, the film was restored with the 18 minutes of scenes cut for U.S. release edited back into the film. Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach were brought back in to dub their charactersā€™ lines more than 35 years after the filmā€™s original release.

Are all the DVDs out with the new audio or what? Im confused.

The new scenes (added back into the film) have the new dubbing by Wallach and Eastwood while the rest of the film is in the normal, 1966 recording. Also, theyā€™ve added more modern sounding gunshots and such to fix problems with the sound. There is a name for it but Iā€™m not sure. At first I thought they were trying to make the gunshots sound less fake or cheasy.

Vandalism is the word youā€™re looking for.

[quote=ā€œStarblack, post:170, topic:307ā€]Vandalism is the word youā€™re looking for.[/quote] :smiley:

Database comment (in hymnic mode):

Ironic, parodic super-western, the culmination of the Dollar trilogy and at the same time pointing in a new direction. In The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Leone enhanced and perfected all the narrative and visual ideas of the two predecessors, while his still anti-epic style is now set against a quasi epic background, and allows both levels not to confront but to comment each other. Eastwoodā€™s charismatic coolness is here pitted against the method acted flow of endlessly brilliant dialogue by Wallach, while Van Cleef, just like Wallach in the role of his life, impresses as the ultimate baddie. Morriconeā€™s excellent soundtrack, Leoneā€™s directing and the film itself reach their apex in the closing triello, one of the most emblematic western scenes ever. One of the best westerns, one of the best films, a true masterpiece.

Short & sweet!

ā€œHeavenā€™s gateā€ has to be one of the most underrated films I have ever seen -it is absolutely magnificent. I have actually recently finished reading ā€œFinal Cutā€ which is all about the debacle behind the film.

Excellent mini-review Stanton. Now what would be interresting would be a negitive review of The Good, the Bad & the Ugly on its SWDB page as a sort of alternate take on it.

Weā€™ll see - Iā€™m about the only person on this page that doesnā€™t absolutely love it so I guess that will automatically be my job ;).

I am with you Silence :wink: , but you can still do it lol.

[quote=ā€œSilence, post:176, topic:307ā€]Weā€™ll see - Iā€™m about the only person on this page that doesnā€™t absolutely love it so I guess that will automatically be my job ;).[/quote]Chris Casey is the one also who famously isnā€™t that fond of the movie.

Canā€™t understand, it got one scene which is maybe the best scene ever filmed, The Good the Bad and The Ugly itā€™s not just a simply SW itā€™s much more

Add me to the list too. Itā€™s my least favourite of the 3 and i tend to think it goes on too long. Not much of a reviewer though, soā€¦