The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

Not that I think itā€™ll be any comfort, but youā€™re not alone, amigo

Anyway, welcome to the show, John!

He sure is not alone.

Oh, but GBU is the ā€˜greatestā€™ or most ā€˜quintessentialā€™ SW of all time, whether you like it or not :smiley:

Everything is there; the cool gunfighter (Clint) the noisy mexican (Wallach) the ruthless villian (Van Cleef) as well as hordes of extras

Deserted ghost towns, deserts, and the turbulent background of either revolution or in this case civil war

Itā€™s not a political western, but at least an anti-war movie

Thereā€™s both violence and sardonic humour, or just funny comical scenes

Lots of stylistic duels or rituals

Itā€™s the most epic, famous spaghetti western of all time, with an absolutely classic Morricone score

Some say OUATITW is the greatest, but that film simply doesnā€™t have all the ingredients that the above film has

Others might not like these big slow Leone movies at all

No, he surely isnā€™t because in that case Iā€™m also a ā€œpoor soulā€.

And thatā€™s what I miss in it (EDIT: Not that SWs HAVE to be political, I just think it gives more of a depth).

Iā€™ve just read the chapter about ā€œThe Good, the Bad and the Uglyā€ in Alex Coxā€™s ā€œ10,000 Ways to Dieā€, and I must say, I disagree on a number of aspects. Firstly, he says Clint Eastwood is a poor director. Has he never seen ā€œUnforgivenā€ of ā€œGran Torinoā€! Cox also says that (to quote about ā€œGBUā€) ā€œItā€™s too picaresque by far, let down by squences in which caracters ask for directions, or assemble their disposable gangsā€¦ other scenes are repetitive, slow and flat.ā€ 1) Isnā€™t the scenery in ā€œGBUā€ beautiful, and anyhow the characters pass through the scenery. 2) I donā€™t remember people asking for directions, or assembling gangs. 3) ā€œrepetitive, slow and flatā€? I mean come on, these are the last words on earth Iā€™ld use with ā€œGBUā€. ā€œslowā€? What happened to all the gunfights (and they are definatly not ā€œrepetitiveā€) and ā€œflatā€ it most certainly isnā€™t. Other than this, a very good and informative read.

Maybe he just wants to go against the SW ā€˜mainstreamā€™ and have some controversial opinions re GBU ?

Itā€™s certainly picaresque, thatā€™s true

But itā€™s a fantastic film, you canā€™t deny it, itā€™s perhaps just a little overlong

Probably only is own opinions, he prefers the grittier, less epic SWs?

But then he could just say so instead

I havenā€™t read his book btw

That is somewhat of an unusual view of GBU by Cox.

i am also reading 10,000 ways to die at the moment and have just finished coxā€™s comments on the good, the bad and the ugly and certainly do not agree with his comments. alex cox doesnā€™t seem to like clint eastwood much, and has more good things to say about lee van cleef which is fine. there are a number of things he has said that i donā€™t agree with in the book but each to his own. i havenā€™t seen it myself but he mentions that he is a fan of rita of the west which i know a lot of you hate.

Itā€™s unusual, and I do not agree, but Iā€™m looking forward to reading the entire chapter on the movie (Iā€™ll receive the book as a birthday present, within a few weeks)

Alex is a man who knows what heā€™s talking about, and itā€™s always instructive to hear what such a man has to say, especially when you have a different opinion.

I do agree with him that Eastwood is not a great director; itā€™s probably a bit too harsh to say that he is ā€˜poorā€™, but heā€™s in no way as inventive as Leone or Siegel, to mention only two directors he has been working with and are therefore likely to have influenced him. His direction is often quite pedestrian, and most of his film are overlong (he probably has too much controll over them); theyā€™re often quite preachy (Unforgiven) or sentimental (Million Dollar Baby)

I have always thought this.

I like many of CLintā€™s flicks, especially Gran Torino is quite impressive.

They might be long and somehow slow, but they are not boring or uninteresting to me.

Nevertheless I donā€™t like all of them (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is awfulā€¦).

Of course I like his flicks starring himself. But maybe this is due to the fact that Iā€™m happy to see Clint in a well done movieā€¦

I disagree about that he thinks Clint is a bad director. Iā€™m not a big fan of him as an actor but I still think heā€™s a brilliant director.

Maybe, but he gives very good reviews to all the other Sergio Leone Spaghetti Westerns except ā€œDuck You Suckerā€.

As far as I know, Alex loves movies like The Great Silence, Django and Django Kill!
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is different from the other Leones in the sense that itā€™s a movie with a more upbeat atmosphere. Deep down itā€™s a cruel and pessimistic movie, but at the surface itā€™s not as bleak and grim as the other ones. Women usually prefer it to the other Leones exactly for this reason (at least my wife and daughter did).

Thereā€™s no doubt that Cox is a provocateur - just look at his idiosyncratic filmography - but that doesnā€™t mean his points arenā€™t valid. Nothing should be sacrosanct, not even GBU.

One doesnā€™t have to agree with him, of courseā€¦

Why doesnā€™t he like DYS ?

That movie often has a sombre and bittersweet mood, enhanced by Morriconeā€™s beautiful score

Iā€™m confused by all this. Alex Cox has GBU in his top 10 for Hugheā€™s book. And he even lists it as his 3rd favorite Spaghetti Western.

Alex Cox seems to be an interesting character. No matter how he finally rates whatever movie, he causes a little discussion and thatā€™s what we want round here.

Maybe heā€™s not so much different from us. In different books and articles you all foud apparently diverse information that partly seems to be contradictory. OK. So what. Cox, like us, seems to have not ONE strict look at things. He corrects his point of view from time to time.

I guess he just changed his mind.

1 Like