Question about distribution research

Hello everyone, I am an Italian film student and I would like to ask you a question about a research I am doing. The goal of this research is to find the first American distributors who released old Italian films (1968-1969) in the U.S. Do you know any web site/database I can use to find this information? Being old films with little circulation I can’t find any information on imdbpro or similar web sites and I’m looking for the most specific information possible. Thank you.

So you want us to do your homework for you !?

:rofl:

2 Likes

What about pre-1968? seems like an arbitrary cutt-off point.
To go about it you’d probably have to settle for either a sample of 1968 Italian movies, or focus in a genre, then check who distributed them in the USA and when…

I’ve got 20 titles to analyse, all of them from 1968 and 1969. But it’s really difficult to find the first US distributor, expecially theatrical

Yes, and in the SWDb we’re only now slowly starting to add more business information.
Care to post the 20 titles you’re looking at?

Google the American release movie posters, and usually a distributor name will be on there

:wink:

• Dio li crea, io li ammazzo (God Made Them… I Kill Them) 1968
• Chiedi perdono a Dio…non a me (May God Forgive You… But I Won’t) 1968
• Crisantemi per un branco di carogne (Chrysanthemums for a Bunch of Swine) 1968
• I protagonisti (The Protagonists) 1968
• COME L’AMORE (Something Like Love) 1968
• Gungala la pantera nuda (Gungala, the Black Panther Girl) 1968
• IL RAPACE (Birds of Prey ) 1968
• Riusciranno i nostri eroi a ritrovare l’amico misteriosamente scomparso in Africa? (Will Our Heroes Be Able to Find Their Friends Who Has Mysteriously Disappeared in Africa?) 1968
• Vendo cara la pelle (I’ll Sell My Skin Dearly) 1968
• I tre che sconvolsero il West (Vado, vedo e sparo) (I Came, I Saw, I Shot/One Dollar Too Many) 1968
• Uno di più all’inferno (To Hell and Back/One More to Hell/Full House for the Devil) 1968
• ALL’ULTIMO SANGUE (To the Last Drops of Blood/Bury Them Deep) 1968
• ODIA IL PROSSIMO TUO (Hate Thy Neighbor ) 1968
• Ciccio perdona…io no! (Ciccio Forgives, I Don’t) 1968
• Capriccio all’italiana (Caprice Italian Style) 1968
• Chimera (Chimera) 1968
• LA CATTURA (The Ravine) 1969
• UNA RAGAZZA CHIAMATA AMORE (A Girl Called Love) 1969
• Tò, è morta la nonna (Oh, Grandmother’s Dead) 1969
• Mangiala! (Eat It) 1969
• Satyricon (Satyricon by Gian Luigi Polidoro) 1969
• QUELLI CHE SANNO UCCIDERE (The Strangers) 1969

at least according to IMDb, no US release