May God Forgive You … But I Won’t / Chiedi perdono a Dio … non a me (Vincenzo Musolino, 1968)

Yes, you are right

This is pretty damn good film actually. Much better than original Cjamango. I like Ghidra very much, all his films I’ve seen have been better than average and he has good charismatic screen presence.

I did like the film…it’s just to me, Ghidra’s character didn’t seem to be sketched out that well…i just preferred the other films i’ve seen him in. And i really liked him in Pistoleros.

Is there really no thread on this? OK.

I watched it today and I can’t say it’s a great one, rather a solid mediocre duster. Usually no reason to talk about “May God”.

But, actually there is one thing about it, that catched me:

I have never ever seen such a magnificent machine gun fire in any western!

In the big showdown Ardisson and Sanchez use this big MG to wipe out Ghidra’s gang. They use the entrance of Ardisson’s ranch (we know this ranch from Don’t wait, Django… shoot!) as their “operation base”. AND this MG produces such a wonderful muzzle flash, you just have to love it!

By the way: Ardisson and Sanchez do a great job with their gun, for the ranch is covered with the baddie’s bodys - wow.

There is this one:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,800.0.html

So why haven’t I found it?

Nevertheless, do you know the MG-scene?

I remember the machine gun at the end and quite a few people get killed.

But no horses …

Some horses did go down and would have thought at least one would have been killed, but when the camera scans the aftermath of the dead bodies there appears to be not many dead horses on the ground (if any).

I think dead horses in SWs are worse than dead women. As soon as you kill a horse or hurt a women German censorship steps on the scene.

This Spaghetti-Western by Vincenzo Musolino is an excessive hard (by 1968 standards) revenge movie. I think the flic is far from being original or intelligent but does entertain anyway. It impresses by its great cast and brutal gunfights. Anthony Ghidra is always a real pleasure to watch in a spag., this time as a bad guy, vicious Dick Smart. The rest of the cast is also worth mentioning: George Ardisson, Peter Martell, Cristina Iosani, Pedro Sanchez and Dino Strano.

I enjoyed this one because it is brutal, even though like you say story is not the most original.

Yes it’s indeed very hard. There are some funny moments too though. There’s the whole Pedro Sanchez character who drops a few funny lines along the way. But then there’s also the scene in which Dino Strano’s character is presented. He is sitting at the bar and is asked (by his boss Dick Smart probably, I forgot) to keep an eye on something and he then turns around and we see he sports the pirate look with a patch over one eye… Had me laughing… Probably not the intention but what can I do :slight_smile:

But yes there’s a lot of familiar faces in this one and I agree with Bill above in that this is indeed way better than the original Cjamango.

And there’s that great machine gun fire, I talked about somewhrere else.

As Bluntwolf said, Ghidra is always great.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,1679.0.html

Hola amigos,

I’ve just arrived in town. Since everyone here is clearly so friendly and knowledgeable, I hope to stick around.

Having just revisited Vincenzo Musolino’s May Forgive You - I Won’t in its shortened form on a scratchy old Dutch VHS tape, I’d like to know if anyone has seen the longer Italian version, with a framing story in which George Ardisson’s character, Cjamango, sets up and reflects upon the events of the story. (Musolino, of course, wrote the first Cjamango, with Ivan Rassimov, and sets this revenge tale up as a sequel.)

The film itself is as ruthlessly efficient as its dour protagonist, as it - and he - wastes little time in moving from one well-staged set-piece encounter to another. It’s also conspicuously violent, though my copy seems to be cut in a few places.

Very enjoyable as it is, but I wonder whether it might not be more substantial with the extra material.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,800.0.html

Note to self - search threads more thoroughly before posting.

Still, no one mentions the fuller version (information gleaned from Glittering Images’ Westerns all’Italiana volume two). There are far worse SWs that have been reconstructed and rereleased on DVD.

Cinecity has a DVDr version of it which I don’t have myself but it’s propably ripped of from an old VHS.

A review is available now:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/May_God_forgive_you…_I_won%27t_Review