[Blu-ray] Latest and Upcoming Releases šŸ“€

[quote=ā€œautephex, post:1300, topic:660ā€]I like the film, may buy the blu except I still want the koch boxset which includes it, so dunno

will we ever see days where stuff is released which hasnā€™t already been? Pretty boring to keep seeing the same titles[/quote]

Not to go off-topic, but I want to see BU release more Eurocrime. Spags have gotten a pretty solid foothold in the market thanks to Wild Eastā€™s new doubles every month or so, for better or for worse. Raro seems like the only company releasing Eurocrime here in the US now and even then itā€™s a couple titles a year. BUā€™s releases were pretty decent DVDā€™s. Just provide Italian audio and correct subtitles on future releases and theyā€™ve got some sure-selling discs there.

The single release of MGMā€™s The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 4K restoration in the United States not only has the original mono soundtrack, but is region free as well.

I just donā€™t care at all about country of release any more. Its a worldwide market, and I want to start seeing stuff released that isnā€™t just repeatsā€¦ I want fresh titties, nice and plump

I may sell off the rest of my WE collection and I probably wonā€™t buy anything else from them, since they seem to just be re-selling foreign dvds at a quality not as good as original. At this point the only reason for me to still buy their discs is if the artwork is good, and Iā€™m totally losing the collector-consumer-mindsetā€¦ Iā€™ll buy it if its a legit quality product, otherwise not interested

Iā€™m sure everyoneā€™s sick of hearing me drone on about WE at this point though, so Iā€™ll keep my mouth shut after this post on the topic

Stop buying Wild East stuff ages ago now, as alot of their stuff just seems to be fan edits with a cover.

Iā€™m going to get the Kino Sabata BD for Christmas. All the reviews Iā€™ve read say good things about it and its better than the explosive media german release.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_62_/sabata_blu-ray.htm

So the German company MLV is releasing some good stuff and on blu-ray no less (Day of Violence, The Price of Power) but it also looks like they are not making them English friendly, at least Day of Violence seems to have no English option. I am really hoping they make The Price of Power English friendly because I really want to see that one.

Here is my mini review of 3 discs that I recently bought for xmas.

Sabata (Kino Lorber)- Iā€™ve shit on KL in the past but they did right by me with this release. Big upgrade over my R1 MGM disc and from what I can tell, its superior to the explosive media release. True to form, KL provides no subtitles and extras. El cheapo barebones. - Amazon.com[/url] / Amazon.de (Explosive)

Grand Duel/Keoma (Mill Creek) - Grand duel is a big upgrade over the wildeast disc that I used to have. Keoma looks great as well although I no longer own the BU DVD of this nor the wildeast grand duel dvd so I canā€™t make comparisons side by side but from what I remember, both are good upgrades over the dvds that I used to own. Canā€™t beat the price either 7 dollars including shipping. Iā€™d be interested to know how the grand duel stacks up to the BU release, its probably not as good but Iā€™m satisfied. - Amazon.com

My Name is nobody (Image)- I heard the French BD is better but I think this is a solid upgrade over any of the SD dvds. I owned the Image R1 DVD as well as the german paramount disc and this beats out both. Great detail and fuller color. Alot of print damage though. Lines and specs abound but didnā€™t really bother me. - [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3XXP0W?ie=UTF8&tag=spaghetti-western-20]Amazon.com[url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6D1QOA?ie=UTF8&tag=spaghetti-western-20[/url]

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this, I didnā€™t want to start a whole new thread, and I apologize if I irritate people. Iā€™ve been doing a bit of research about which Leone releases to buy on Blu-ray, and Iā€™m still hazy on some details. What Iā€™ve basically gleaned is this: for GBU, Fox have finally fixed the foul-up with the mono on the new single release (While it shouldnā€™t have happened in the first place, kudos to them for doing so!), so outside of the controversy about the color, it sounds like a safe bet since apparently no one thinks to ever restore the theatrical cut. Though the omission of the Italian audio is immensely annoying. For FOD, there was a 4K restoration which premiered at Cannes this year for the 50th anniversary, which may find its way to video at some point (It apparently ā€œdepressedā€ Quentin Tarantino since it wasnā€™t 35mm ::).) In the interim period, it sounds like the US releases are foul-up downmixes and my best bet is either the German or Italian release (Apparently one has lossless audio, the other doesnā€™t.). For AFDM, it sounds like the German release is the best at present, maybe itā€™ll get a restoration someday. The odd man out is DYS. Is the US release a downmix too? Iā€™ve heard conflicting things. If it is, whatā€™s my best bet? Is the Italian release the proper mono, if it even included the English track? I guess Iā€™m fine with the US release of OUATITW, I understand that actually wasnā€™t messed up. I would like all of the extras too, those Frayling commentaries are gold, but could just get the anthology boxed set for those, probably used, for a pittance. Thanks to any answers.

I likewise donā€™t know if this is the right place, but I received the new Blu-Ray of Companeros after having pre-ordered it, and though I enjoy the special features, and love commentaries, I really donā€™t care for the two guys doing the commentary that Blue Underground have been using.

Joyner and Parke might know a lot, and could be members of this board for all I know, but they add very little. Very little actual information compared to say, Frayling. Or compared to journalist commentaries of other genres, such as the likes of Bey Logan, Tom Weaver, Greg Mank, or Rudy Behlmer, or Kim Newman & Stephen Jones, or numerous others. Or the incredibly dry Tim Lucas.

Itā€™s one thing for Blue Underground to consistently have terrible covers, but I hope they step their commentary game up.

Some interesting screenshot comparisons between the two restorations of A Fistful of Dollars:

[url]A Fistful of Dollars 2014 Restoration - criterionforum.org

Where did they source this restoration? Vhs? :smiley:

So which version of the dollars trilogy has the preferred restoration? In fact, for each film in the Dollars Trilogy, what is the best release (with English language)? ???

Good question. Maybe we should make a new topic for the subject.

Extras announced for Arrowā€™s Day of Anger: [url]Blu-ray News and Updates

Essentially:

• Brand new interview with screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi
  • An interview programme featuring archival interviews with director Tonino Valerii and a newly recorded interview with his biographer, Roberto Curti
  • Booklet featuring new writing on the film by spaghetti western expert Howard Hughes, illustrated with original archive stills

January 7th. As usual very likely only Spanish and maybe Italian audio and no subs.

Raro posted on their FB that they would be releasing a blu ray of Some Dollars for Django sometime in 2015

Weā€™ll see.

They have a good track record for releasing Italian films on BD but the quality of their releases often leave a lot to be desired.

Well, didnā€™t they say they would be releasing Ringo and his Golden Pistol sometime around now?

Return Of Sabata and Adios Sabata out in March on Blu Ray from Explosive in Germany.