Articles

Wow! wish I could write like that. This would be the introduction to the Introduction?

If i may presume, I believe " ‘the other Sergio’) made the ground-braking Django" = ground-breaking

Bingo!
Spot on Scherps, this is exactly what I had in mind when I spoke of not making it too personal.
My only addition would be to mention that Zapata westerns are also widely called Tortilla Westerns these days.

by who?

I guess he meant Paellas are called Tortillas

By a number of people I believe. Certainly I’ve seen the term used by Giusti and Alex Cox amongst others.

Never read that anywhere.

Great article Sherp, but please corect 1 thing:
1)

Really great article Scherps. I’ve got a couple of comments.

You need an ‘s’ after Western or you need to say ‘the’ before ‘Spaghetti’.

I thought it was ‘The Dollars Trilogy’ with an ‘s’ after ‘Dollar’

You’ve got me questioning my own memory now.
But I checked and there it is. In Giusti’s book and in Alex Cox’s one (which I’ve had a sneak preview of). Also a quick google search cropped up a couple of other examples of the term being used in different circumstances. (The second one is in Italian but it’s easy to recognise.)

http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/checentriamo.htm

I think the problem is that it is also a term which is used for westerns shot in Mexico. And that is the one used by most people on this site.

I found that Italian link too, I copied the part on the Tortilla western:

b) tortilla-western
Il sottofilone del western-spaghetti che abbiamo denominato tortilla- western è dato dai films ambientati in Messico (girati sempre in Spagna, ovviamente). Siamo alla vigilia del '68: il tortilla-western risponde con maggiore o minore coscienza a un filone terzomondista. Alla base di questi film è sempre la difficile amicizia tra un messicano di umili origini e un professionista, yankee o europeo. Il mercenario anglosassone è al solito bello, intelligente, inossidabile; il messicano è povero, disgraziato, gli vanno sempre tutte le cose storte: è la continuazione del personaggio leoneiano del Tuco.
Tra le cose migliori del filone, sono i tre film di Sergio Corbucci, “Il mercenario” (1967), “Vamos a matar compañeros” (1968) e “Cosa c’entriamo noi con la rivoluzione?” (1970).

This is what it says:
The subdivision of the spaghetti western that we have called ‘tortilla western’, is taken by those films set in Mexico (and always shot in Spain, obviously). We’re on the eve of ’68: the tortilla western is a subgenre that makes a minor or major statement about the Third World. At the centre of those films is always an uneasy friendship between a Mexican of humble descent and an American or European professional. The Anglo-Saxon professional is good-looking, intelligent, refined; the Mexican is poor, unlucky, things always take a bad turn for him: he is a continuation of the leonesque Tuco character.
Among the highlights of this subgenre, are the three films made by Sergio Corbucci, The Mercenary, Vamos a Matar compañeros and Cosa c’entriamo noi con la Rivoluzione
(I haven’t copied the years of making, they’re all wrong …)

So yes, Zapata westerns are called Tortilla westerns. Funny, I had never heard of this before

My mistakes:

Fabio Questi > Giulio

ground-braking > ground-breaking

Beginner’s guide to spaghetti western > the spaghetti western

I still have to check ‘Dollar trilogy’, I translated from the Italian ‘trilogia del dollaro’, in Italian they say ‘trilogy of the dollar’

Note: there might be more small mistakes in the text, they’re often easier to find for others than for the one who made them

Your starting to sound like me Scherp

Foe and friend, we’re all equal in the end

deep

Pink Floyd quote, nice Sherp :slight_smile:

I’m still trying to improve the text of the new introduction
I added a small note on the locations:

<<The outdoor scenes of many spaghetti westerns, especially those with a relatively higher budget, were shot in the Spanish province of Andalusia, in particular the Tabernas desert of Almeria. In Italy the province of Lazio (the surroundings of Rome) was a favourite location. Some spaghetti westerns were shot in the Alpes, North Africa or Israel. The indoor scenes were usually shot in the western towns of the Roman studios like Cinecittà or Elios. The Elios studios also had a ‘Mexican town’ next to the western town.>>

I wasn’t too pleased with this sentence:

<<Like professor of cultural studies Christopher Frayling has said the western from a long time past had been called a horse opera, but it took the Italians to show what the term really meant.>>

So I changed it into this one:

<<From a long time past westerns had been called ‘horse operas’, but like professor of cultural studies Christopher Frayling pointed out, it took the Italians to show what the term really meant. >>

Same? Better? Worse?

I changed Dollar Trilogy in Dollars trilogy

If there are no objections, I’ll probabably load up the text this weekend

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:36, topic:1580”]So I changed it into this one:

<<From a long time past westerns had been called ‘horse operas’, but like professor of cultural studies Christopher Frayling pointed out, it took the Italians to show what the term really meant. >>

Same? Better? Worse?[/quote]

Better

Now that I have finished my UK spaghettis article, I suppose I should begin work on a US Spaghetti Western article.

can you please link all the movie titles and names? i usually read those articles and to me, personally, it’s most important to actually then discover the movies that are mentioned without having to do a search for them,first :wink:

but great article, amigo… as always

Just wanted to say I appeciate all the hard work you all been doing.