Zorro Films (Westerns and Non-Westerns)

[quote=“Stanton, post:60, topic:1526”]Most books count them, even if it is doubtful.

But some are indeed westerns, most not.[/quote]
mask of zorror with banderas?

[quote=“Dillinger, post:7, topic:1526”]I’ve seen parts of Italian spaghetti-era Zorros on tele5 not long ago. One of them was Zorro’s Refenge with Fabio Testi.
For me this one was a western, because it used the same towns, actors, costumes, guns and plot of a SW. I looked like a SW and felt like one. It really was a SW, just with Zorro instead of, let’s say Django.[/quote]

Absolutely true if Zorro’s Revenge is the English title for E continuavano a chiamarlo figlio di…/El Zorro justiciero.

Not to mention that it recycles scenes from at least 2 older spaghetti westerns

Yes, from Tre hombres buenos (1963) and Sette pistole per i McGregor (1966).

There’s an error in Giusti’s Dictionary, Il figlio di Zorro (1973) has got nothing to do with this film!

No, that one not. And it is also not an Italian film.

But the one with Fabio Testi mentioned above is doubtless a western.

Some are westerns for sure, and after viewing a few of them here and there you can tell the ones that are westerns.

José Luis Merino directed a sort of trilogy but two films were confused to such an extent that - as I reported here (Reply #7) http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,3018.0.html?PHPSESSID=mfd3s799j0vi02is3637vn18i2n0d9sv - Zorro il dominatore is not included in the SWDB.

The running time is around 92 minutes (88m PAL), it seems that a few scenes are recycled from Le tre spade di Zorro and Il giuramento di Zorro/El Zorro cabalga otra vez and also the typical SW music (by Coriolano Gori) is recycled from Con lui cavalca la morte (1967).
The main protagonists are Carlos Quiney (Antonio Sandoval), Maria Pia Conte (Isabella), Jose Jaspe (Governor), Aldo Bufi Landi (Colonel Cordoba) and Pasquale Basile (Lieutenant Somoza).

Isn’t that this one?

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Zorro_de_Monterrey,_El

Anyway, thanks for the info.

No, the three films are
Zorro il dominatore = La última aventura del Zorro censura: 55152 del 12-12-1969
Zorro il cavaliere della vendetta = El Zorro, caballero de la justicia censura: 57995 del 03-04-1971
Zorro la maschera della vendetta = El Zorro de Monterrey censura: 58552 del 03-07-1971

Ok!

It is now ;).http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/La_última_aventura_del_Zorro

However there’s not a lot of info. Have you seen the film Jonathan? If so, it would be appreciated if you wrote the synopsis, comment and such :)!

OK, I’ll write something as soon as possible.

I’ve been avoiding Zorro films but I recently watched El Zorro justiciero which I liked, it was just like any average sw only that the hero was masked and did some acrobatics. What others do you suggest?

1 Like

Zorro il cavaliere della vendetta/Zorro Rider of Vengeance is essentially a western too, there are even Native Americans (!).

Did anyone get the Blu Ray of the Duccio Tessari Alain Delon one?

Just seen El Zorro (La Volpe) directed by Guido Zurli: in my opinion it is an Adventure film with little or nothing to do with the Western genre, a typical Zorro movie in which the few unconventional elements are a blond, unmoustached and rather effeminate Don Diego and the green-lined cape.

The best sequence is maybe the one including a duel using bullwhips.

Just seen El Zorro (La Volpe) directed by Guido Zurli: in my opinion it is an Adventure film with little or nothing to do with the Western genre

Thanks for the info. I was thinking if this is worth watching but I’ll be skipping this one then.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:46, topic:1526”]Viewed The Sign of Zorro / Duel at the Rio Grande ( 1963 ).

Son ( who happens to be Zorro ) is sent on a mission by his mum to find his father. Finds out he has been killed for fighting for the poor, aswell as the fact he had a nice silver mine. He takes most of the film to find out though which becomes tedious, but we have some fighting near the end of the film. Zorro does find a little time to locate his future wife who he will be taking home to show his mum…ah what a nice man.

Directed by Mario Caiano, and stars Sean Flynn, son of Errol Flynn.[/quote]

Viewed a fandub of a Spanish source which is missing the 1st couple of credits including the Sean Flynn credit and the title card. The cast credits are:
Elena Barrios, Folco Lulli, Danielle De Metz, Armando Calvo, Virgilio Teixeira, Mario Petri, Walter Barnes, Gaby André, Tony Soler, Xan Das Bolas, Mino D’Oro, Gisella Monaldi, Guido Celano, Alfredo Rizzo, Piero Lulli

Present also are Luigi Bonos, Pietro Ceccarelli, Aldo Cecconi, Ugo Sasso

Then there is this poster crediting Helga Liné, I remember reading somewhere to watch for her in a small role.

The DB has a rather long list of other credits. I know this version is cut as I saw a few differences in just the first few minutes compared to the German version available on You Tube although the credits are similar.
JonathanCorbett, you wouldn’t happen to have the Italian credits would you?

1 Like

No, but if it would help there are 24 actors listed in the Censorship certificate (the first 19 names, should correspond to Italian credits) and on Anica website:
Interpreti/Actors: Sean Flynn (Ramon Martinez y Rayol), Folco Lulli (José), Danielle De Metz (Manuela), Gaby André (Mrs. Gutierrez), Armando Calvo (gen. Gutierrez), Mino Doro (don Luis), Mario Petri (cap. Martin), Gisella Monaldi, Virgilio Teixeira [John Texeira], Alfredo Rizzo, Guido Celano, Piero Lulli, Vittorio Bonos, Luigi Bonos [Gigi Bonos], Fernando Poggi, Aldo Cecconi, Pietro Ceccarelli, Carlo Rizzo, Manrico Melchiorre (c.s.c.), Armand Galou, Mimo Billi, Ugo Sasso, Tonio Selwart, Walter Barnes

OK. thanks JC

I recently viewed Cold Killer[/url] directed by William First (Guido Celano). As he was credited in the cast and also credited in Duel at the Rio Grande, I first checked his acting credit in The Hills Run Red then his other western, [url=http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Giur%C3%B2…_e_li_uccise_ad_uno_ad_uno]Gun Shy Piluk[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Uccideva_a_freddo[/url] and concluded:

The sheriff in Cold Killer, Zac Wyler in Piluk, blacksmith and reluctant foster parent in Hills

One of the landowners (with Ugo Sasso) and possible conspirators against Gutiérrez

1 Like

Well done!

The number of recognizable actors in Duel at the Rio Grande seems rather high in relation to the SW average.