Years for Fear the greatest horror movies

Agreed. Lists like that need to be in depth.

Just double checked, and no sign of ‘The Haunting’ (1963) a classic, I think :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s on my list at the top of the thread with THE BIRDS. It was judged the scariest film of all time on a few occasions. Just not by post millenials.

2 Likes

The list relies very much on more recent films, and omits for that several older classics. The 40s cycle of films produced by Val Lewton is still amazing, as are Night of the Demon and The Haunting by 2 of the directors involved in these.

At least Laugier’s exceptional Martyrs is in the list.

And there are some which are definitely thrillers.

I was disappointed by Rec, but another earlier film by its director Balaguero is Los sin nombre, which has some frightening stuff in it.

The Evil Dead remake was as boring as the original, so that’s a good example for an faithful adaptation. :wink:

And of course several of my favourites are in, guess which …

Probably the ones in which nothing happens :wink:

Which list Stanton? The one put on by Asa or the one I’m writing?

1 Like

I thought the point of this thread was the list that Ali and I were working on…

Tbh Andy precisely what this thread was about seemed pretty woolly and vague, initially. At the point at which I posted a list from elsewhere on the net the thread was still entitled “Top 50 Horror Movies” without having any such list in place. But don’t worry, the thread hasn’t been pulled off course as far as I can see despite the intentions of the OP appearing to change mid-thread. Everyone is discussing the greatest horror films, no?

But getting to the list you’re compiling specifically: IMHO, the 50s section is missing The Thing From Another World (Nyby, 1951) and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Siegel, 1956). The 60s section is missing Black Sunday (Bava, 1960), Black Sabbath (Bava, 1963), Kwaidan (Kobayashi, 1964) and Onibaba (Shindo, 1964), and the 70s section is missing The Last House on the Left (Craven, 1972), The Wicker Man (Hardy, 1973), Jaws (Spielberg, 1975), Carrie (De Palma, 1976), Eraserhead (Lynch, 1977), House (Obayashi, 1977), Dawn of the Dead (Romero, 1978), Damien: Omen II (Taylor, 1978) and Zombie Flesh Eaters (Fulci, 1979). IMHO, as I say. :+1:

Now we are cooking!! I added Carrie not long ago!
The original Thing and Body SNATCHERS I omitted as I classed them as Sci fi films. Now Jaws is one I wanted to hear discussed. I will stick Flesh Eaters on though, Last House on the Left TOO. Added the Bava and Japanese ones too.

Ha ha, maybe, but actually I like both sorts, the tight and fast film as well as the slow film. My first criterion for a good film is anyway how entertaining it is, but entertainment has a lot to do with how a film tells its story.

The one by Asa obviously …

Yours is still work in progress.

:+1:
Just checking.

1980s:
1980 THE SHINING, INFERNO, THE FOG, FRIDAY 13TH, THE FOG
1981 AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, THE HOWLING, EVIL DEAD, THE BEYOND
1982 TENEBRE, THE THING, POLTERGEIST
1983 PSYCHO II, CHRISTINE
1984 CHILDREN OF THE CORN, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET
1985 REANIMATOR, DEMONS, DAY OF THE DEAD
1986 THE FLY,
1987 HELLRAISER, THE LOST BOYS
1989 PET SEMATARY
1990s
1990 IT, MISERY
1991SILENCE OF THE LAMBS,PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS
1992 CANDYMAN
1993 CRONOS
1994 WES CRAVEN’S NEW NIGHTMARE, IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS
1996 SCREAM
1998 RING (Jap)
1999 THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, SLEEPY HOLLOW

2000s:
2002 THE EYE (HK), JU-ON THE GRUDGE (Jap)
28 DAYS LATER
2004 PREMONITION (Jap), SAW
2005 THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE, AN AMERICAN HAUNTING
2007 30 DAYS OF NIGHT, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY
2008 LET THE RIGHT ONE IN +LET ME IN
2009 THE UNINVITED
2010s:
2010 INSIDIOUS
2011 THE RITE
2013 THE CONJURING,
2014 THE BABADOOK, ANNABELLE
2015 THE WITCH
2017 GET OUT, IT

I’d add Devils Rejects, and maybe remake of Hills Have Eyes.

Well we’ve done ours Bill so if you look back at the rest and have any other suggestions let me know and I will make a general consensus one for the database. A shorter one hopefully. Oh and any ones you would get rid off.

A thriller, not horror.

Scared the shit out of me!! :scream::sweat_smile:
I would say the same of JAWS. :shark:
Hannibal Lektor biting, maiming and using faces as masks was horrific to me and Andy.
A thriller should be exciting, breathless and suspenseful. ‘what will happen next?’ material.

1 Like

May I suggest this … not as high profile as many listed so far, but a nice little frightener ! ‘Burn, Witch, Burn’ aka ‘Night of the Eagle’ (1962)

2 Likes

Makes a great double bill, alongside ‘Devil Doll’ (1964).

2 Likes