Wild Side VS Blue Undergound

I was planning to buy another batch of French DVD(s), but I noticed some similarities between the Wild Side label and the Blue Underground one. I was wondering if somebody could enlighten me about the nature of the extras on their respective DVD(s).

Django - Fixed -
Django: The One And Only - Interviews with Star Franco Nero and Assistant Director Ruggero Deodato
Western, Italian Style - A 1968 documentary about the Spaghetti Western phenomenon containing interviews with Directors Enzo G. Castellari, Sergio Sollima and Sergio Corbucci (Blu-ray only)
VS
Interviews with Franco Nero, Luis Enriquez Bacalov, Franco Rosseti et Ruggiero Deodato

Four of the Apocalypse
"Fulci of the Apocalypse" - Interviews with Stars Fabio Testi and Tomas Milian
VS
Interviews with Fabio Testi, Tomas Milian, Sergio Salvati, Roberto Giandalia et Ennio De Concini

Keoma
Audio Commentary with Director Enzo G. Castellari and Journalist Waylon Wahl
Keoma: Legends Never Die - Interview with Star Franco Nero
VS
Interview with Enzo Castellari, Franco Nero, Maurizio De Angelis, Gianni Lofredo, Luigi Montefiori et Rocco Lerro

Are any of these the same extras or are they all different (you know, maybe Blue Underground only listed the most important interviewees)? Thanks!

I have the French Django + 4 of the Apocalypse, but I have not yet watched the first (bought only a few weeks ago) and don’t remember the extras on 4 of the A. If no one will give you a reply, I’ll check things tomorrow (if I can find the discs immediately, I’m re-organising the house a little)

The documentary Western Italian Style is also on the French release of The Great Silence

Thanks for the quick answer, scherpschutter! And while we’re at it, I have a question for you. In your review of Navajo Joe you say that Jean-François Giré’s introduction of the movie is “very well done”, but not “very shocking or new to people with an above average knowledge of the genre” and I imagine it is the same for his other introductions. But are those introductions just rehash of what he says in his book or are they worth getting for completist? I’m already planning to buy the French DVD of “Sonny and Jed” and I was wondering if it was worth getting the costlier box set for those (and the possibly exclusive “Django” extras), even if I want the Koch Media’s DVD of the two Corbucci(s) they have in common.

[quote=“I love you M.E. Kay, post:1, topic:2475”]I was planning to buy another batch of French DVD(s), but I noticed some similarities between the Wild Side label and the Blue Underground one. I was wondering if somebody could enlighten me about the nature of the extras on their respective DVD(s).

Django
Western, Italian Style - A 1968 documentary about the Spaghetti Western phenomenon containing interviews with Directors Enzo G. Castellari, Sergio Sollima and Sergio Corbucci
VS
Interviews with Franco Nero, Luis Enriquez Bacalov, Franco Rosseti et Ruggiero Deodato[/quote]
You have something messed up.
‘Django’ from BU contains featurette “Django: The One and Only” (interviews with actor Franco Nero and assistant director Ruggero Deodato) (13:27).

Mentioned documentary is on ‘Run, Man, Run’ DVD.

Seems you’re right, but “Western, Italian Style” is also listed as an extra for the Blu-ray disc on Blue Underground’s website. Do you know if Luis Enriquez Bacalov and Franco Rosseti appear in “Django : The One and Only”?

Only Nero and Deodato.
Although I don’t have any of these French DVDs, I strongly believe that the bonuses on them are completely different from those on Blue Underground (Anchor Bay).
Keoma
Blue Underground “Keoma: Legends Never Die” interview with Star Franco Nero (9:49)

Wild Side “Discussion with Enzo G. Castellari, Franco Nero and Joshua Sinclair” -featurette (26:30)
“Orme Rosse” short film (Andrea Girolami - 8 min)

Four of the Apocalypse
Blue Underground “Fulci of the Apocalypse” -interviews with actors Fabio Testi (in Italian, with English subtitles) and Tomas Milian (in English) (17:03)

Wild Side “Autour De 4 de l’Apocalypse” -featurette (with interviews by actor Fabio Testi and production manager Roberto Sbarigia - in French, no subtitles - 25:18 min)

Most of the time his introductions are more or less a rehash of what he says in his book, yes.
The French disc of Sony and Jed is a very good one, and the introduction is nice, but it’s mainly what he says in the book, on 443-444. He adds some general info on the genre being over its peak etc. Nothing really new, but it’s always peasant to listen to somebody who know and loves the genre. He’s also a very nice man. From time to time he drops a letter on the French forum.

Thanks, djvaso! I was going to ask you where you got your information, but I just discovered that fnac.com has a little “contenu du DVD” section. Why isn’t it written on Wild Side’s site? If there is one place I thought it would be indicated, it’s on the company’s website. Go figure.

Thanks for the precisions, scherpschutter!

Definitively getting “Sonny and Jed” (plus some Tsui Hark), maybe “Django” for the exclusive extras. “Four of the Apocalypse” is 10£, “A Bullet for the General” is 12,99£ and so is “O’Cangaçeiro”. Decisions, decisions! Oh, and any other suggestions for some good French editions?

I’ve been wondering about that book, but for over 70 euros, it must be something pretty special!!

The disc is very good, but I don’t remember the introduction/interview being so informative; I much preferred the one on O’Cangaceiro.

[quote=“Novecento, post:9, topic:2475”]I’ve been wondering about that book, but for over 70 euros, it must be something pretty special!!

http://www.amazon.fr/était-une-fois-western-européen/dp/2917339063/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283048190&sr=8-2[/quote]

(I still have to write a review of the book, so you’ll have to settle for a few brief notes:)

Well, it looks very good. To begin with, it’s a very large book: 29 x 21 cm, hard cover, 590 pages
There are tons of photos, full colour, black & White, stills, posters, all shiny and wonderfull : it’s the largest collections of photos (on this subject) you’ll ever see

It lists all (or virtually all) European westerns, including Turkish westerns, films made for TV, Hollywood westerns shot in Europe etc. There are chapters on arms, themes, characters, towns, locations, the directors, composers, actors etc. There are also indexes of names, titles etc. All this is well done, although films are sometimes not so easy to retrace. They’re listed chronologically, and the index is not complete. Often both the French and the original Italian or Spanish title is listed, but this is not always the case.

Still this is all very good. Then the bad news: virtually all films are listed, but only a small part of them is reviewed. Giré usually gives a short synopsis plus cast & crew, but only in a lmited number of cases, an evaluation is added. In this aspect the book falls short. If you’re looking for extensive info on movies, read either Giusti, Cox or this site.
When Giré reviews a movie, his info is useful (his texts on general aspects of the genre are informative too, he’s a good writer), and he has added chapters on the three Sergios – with an evaluation of individual movies - that are very good.

So if you’re looking for a glossy photo book with some informative texts, this is your book, but if you’re expecting an analysis of as many films as possible, you might be disappointed.

Thanks Scherp. It sounds pretty good, but still very pricey! Perhaps he only writes reviews for the ones that he has seen - that is admirable at least.

How does it compare to the equally pricey Glittering Images three volume set? I’ve read the first one of these (and thumbed through the other two in a bookstore) and thought it was quite good, but its bilingual nature meant the actual text was pretty slim.

In the end I only bought two spaghetti : “Sonny and Jed” and “O’Cangaçeiro”. I limited myself to this because I’m planning a really huge order on Amazon. Can’t wait to get them, “O’Cangaçeiro” looks pretty sweet and so do the extras that come with it.

[quote=“Novecento, post:11, topic:2475”][The French Book by J-F Giré] It sounds pretty good, but still very pricey! Perhaps he only writes reviews for the ones that he has seen - that is admirable at least.

How does it compare to the equally pricey Glittering Images three volume set? I’ve read the first one of these (and thumbed through the other two in a bookstore) and thought it was quite good, but its bilingual nature meant the actual text was pretty slim.[/quote]

for some comments (in French) on the pricey three Glittering Image 3 volume set in relation to Giré’s book:

A very positive review, but I guess this sentence makes my mind up for me:

Pour nous Français, elle ne remplacera pas l’inestimable ouvrage de Jean-François Giré, Il était une fois… le western européen, mais elle le complète sur certains points

I don’t have the Django blu-ray but I do have the Run, Man, Run DVD by Blue Underground and it does have the “Western: Italian Style” documentary from 1968 (narrated by Frank Wolff).

I got both of em. It’s the same doc on both. Blue underground needs to start producing some more movies. I’ve got all their SWs need more!

According to rumors, Wild Side is planning a release of the film Blindman (perhaps even for the year 2011)

If one considers the high level of recent releases, may be a real alternative to Koch Media (for people, who have missed purchasing the Koch DVD). :wink:

I really wish that Wild Side would release more spaghetti westerns (although not those that already have good DVDs)! :’(