Why did YOU become so interrested in this genre?

Well Silence, you surely dig up good topics anyway.

I guess that the appeal of spaghetti westerns, to me, has something to do with nostalgia - I saw a lot of them as a kid in my grandparent’s living room, although I can’t really say what I saw - it’s all a big blur of dusty ghost towns and Mexican bandits in my memory :). Then yeah, the fact that pretty much everyone, not just the bad guys, is a bit of a SOAB ;D

One factor that I haven’t seen mentioned are the actors. Or better, their faces. Hollywood (and mainstream cinema and television in general) always tends to make things cleaner and prettier than they are, what I love about SWs is that they basically go in the opposite direction. It’s a nice balance!

The music for me. I got hold of some Sapghetti Western music on CD, and from then on, I always wanted to hear the music in the films.

First of all, like many boys, I always liked westerns in general.

I like SWs, because they often:

• show more violent
  • contain more action
  • have cooler dialogues
  • got more trash appeal
  • are dustier
  • have more interesting characters

Than the other ones. of course there’s much more…

The first Definition I’ve heard from SW was: SW are funnier and more violent. :smiley:
Since then I’m a SW Fan. :wink:

I had a break from SW for many many years but then I watched again Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars more. After that I wanted to see more and bought Bruckner’s SW Bible, found the SW Database … ;D

• some of the coolest characters i had seen in movies
  • scores
  • ghost towns, the dust, the wind and generaly the deserted, desolate locations
  • the bleak nature of many of those films
  • Clint Eastwood
  • Lee Van Cleef
  • A fistful of dollars / For a few dollars more / GBU

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:24, topic:277”]The first Definition I’ve heard from SW was: SW are funnier and more violent. :smiley:
Since then I’m a SW Fan. :wink:

I had a break from SW for many many years but then I watched again Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars more. After that I wanted to see more and bought Bruckner’s SW Bible, found the SW Database … ;D[/quote]

… and what happened next? :smiley:

He met a guy named Dillinger …

Poor fella…

Hmm wasn’t thinking to write a biography here. :smiley:
Then I found these Koch Media Releases and was addicted again. Even fellas like Engelbert Humperdick Fans couldn’t stop me. :slight_smile:

Fortunately I haven’t got them fans in my circle of friends…

The thing that got me hooked was the soundtracks of course ;D .

Yep,the scores are a main thing.
But it has also something to do with nostalgia,like Poggy said.
I still remember when i saw GBU for the first time.
For a long time i only knew that it was a saturday evening when it was shown on TV.
At ofdb i found the precise details it was the new years day 1983.
What a start of the new year ::slight_smile:
I was 13 and rather sure to watch the best western ever made.
This opinion has barely changed until today.

I remember my dad showing me “A Fistful of Dollars” way back when I was around 12. That was what started my interest in it.

What would the world be without SWs or Morricone, like Scherp said

I don’t want to even think of a world without Morricone’s music.

True words , calmly spoken :slight_smile:

when i was a teenager i used to hate SW’S, there’s a confession for you i hated the awful dubbing, and apart from the two dollar films, i was exposed to the only other SW’s that appeared on British tv which were unfortunately to many comedy westerns with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer in the trinity films, films i still dislike to this day and the Sabata films which i also dislike.then came “The good the bad and the ugly” and especially “Once Upon A Time In The West” with the masterly music which changed that, at the time spaghetti westerns in England were few, and i didn’t realise there were so many, as i’ve got older and seen more of them thanks to first video then dvd and access has become easier through the internet and other means, i have discovered some treasures and i love them, apart from the to me, daft SW comedies.

The Dollars films just were really something else when I first viewed… and after watching Django out of curiosity I wanted to see a bunch like it…
also

• The music (I prefer lyric less music)
  • Great gun sound effects that felt vintage
  • Color scheme that made the west very vibrant and grity.
  • The gunplay and Duels…

[quote=“ION BRITTON, post:25, topic:277”]- some of the coolest characters i had seen in movies

• scores
  • ghost towns, the dust, the wind and generaly the deserted, desolate locations
  • the bleak nature of many of those films
  • Clint Eastwood
  • Lee Van Cleef
  • A fistful of dollars / For a few dollars more / GBU[/quote]

Sums it up for me as well!

I gravated towards SW’s because they Clint seemed so much more badass than John Wayne. Also I love the musical scores and shootouts and atmosphere. Also the cheap low budget drive in B movie feel adds some flavor.