What's your Top 20 Spaghettis from the 70s?

According to Anica data in Italy La taglia è tua… l’uomo l’ammazzo io/El Puro was released in December 1969 :wink:

Yes, El puro was (most likely) released in 69.

As for the others. I prefer the usually used year, which is mostly the year of production. Especially God Said to Cain was always a 69 film in all books.
But, well, it is not that important.

1. Duck, You Sucker
  2. Keoma
  3. Four of the Apocalypse
  4. California
  5. Tequila
  6. Dead Men Ride
  7. My Name is Nobody
  8. Silver Saddle
  9. W Django!
  10. Arriva Sabata!
  11. Grand Duel
  12. Too Much Gold for One Gringo
  13. Mannaja
  14. Genius Two Partners and a Dupe
  15. Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe
  16. Light the Fuse…Sartana is Coming
  17. Vengeance Trail
  18. Shango
  19. Matalo
  20. His Name was Holy Ghost

Hole in the Forehead is 68 or even 67

Ah, imdb got it wrong… replaced it with Holy Ghost

1. bad men river<

Very funny Sartana 68’ ;D

1. Blindman
  2. Light the Fuse…Sartana is Coming
  3. Companeros
  4. They Call Me Hallelujah
  5. The Grand Duel
  6. They Call Him Cemetery
  7. Trinity is Still My Name
  8. Have a Good Funeral, My Friend…Sartana Will Pay
  9. And God Said to Cain
  10. Apocalypse Joe
  11. Keoma
  12. Adios Sabata
  13. My Name is Nobody
  14. They call me Trinity
  15. Dead Men Ride
  16. Silver Saddle
  17. Those Dirty Dogs
  18. Stranger and the Gunfighter
  19. Four of the Apocalypse

I couldnt get into Fistful of Dynamite either… I havent seen Matalo yet but I’ll assume it will be in my top 20

N° 12 on my list

Phil’s words sum up my ideas on this movie quite well

I have the idea the film is more popular in Italy than elsewhere. Casadio is very enthusiastic in his book, and he cites a few critics who love the movie too (Bruschini, Tentori, David Grieco). I also remember discussing the movie with a few Italian Leone fans once, and they were surprised, even a bit shocked that I thought it was a minor work of art. Like Phil says: some great things in it, but not a great movie. Uneven, unappealing characters, noisy, some funny scenes that are actually more tasteless than funny etc.

But the dictionary of Marco Giusti for example could not talk about it worse…

Stanton your 1970’s Top 20 list is actually… a Top 19: what about number eight? :smiley:

[quote=“sartana1968, post:16, topic:2778”]1. light the fuse sartana is coming
2. adios sabata
3. they call him cemetery
4. they call me hallelujah
5. apocalypse joe
6. the grand duel
7. mannaja
8. those dirty dogs
9. fistfull of dinamite
10. silver sadle
11. a man called sledge
12. blindman
13. rytern of sabata
14. those dirty dogs
15. dead man ride
16. sartana is here trade your pistol for a coffin
17. bad men river
18. fighting fists of shangai joe
19. keoma[/quote]
i forgot:
20. his name was king

I’ve used WAI as my guide for dates here… (Don’t complain Stanton :wink: – I could’ve used Weisser!)

California
Night of the Serpent
A Man Called Sledge
Challenge of the McKennas
Vengeance Trail
Dead Men Don’t Make Shadows
Django sfida Sartana
Keoma
And God Said To Cain
Four of the Apocalypse
Blindman
Campaneros
Fistful of Dynamite
Apocalypse Joe
Apache Woman
Mannaja
Boldest Job in the West
A Town called Bastard
Too Much Gold for One Gringo
Gunman of One Hundred Crosses

(I haven’t seen Silver Saddle yet). :-[

[Edit] They’re in some sort of order of merit - but my memory may be playing tricks of course - and obviously if I could’ve had El Puro in it, it would be somewhere near the top - if not in top spot.

I complain nevertheless.

Night of the Serpent was already mentioned as from a year earlier.

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:28, topic:2778”]But the dictionary of Marco Giusti for example could not talk about it worse…

Stanton your 1970’s Top 20 list is actually… a Top 19: what about number eight? :D[/quote]

He he … oops :-[

I think I add the Cain without Abel film, as the others have it also included, and at the moment I can’t think of another70s SW worth mentioning. (So it was probably destiny which made me forgot one film)

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:3, topic:2778”]Interesting idea.

Someone is not convinced, but the Seventies begin in 1970 and end in '79.[/quote]

Well this as been discussed before, but technically speaking that information is incorrect. We seem to have a lot of poets here in the forum, but few Mathematical thinking.
In most (or all) of the European countries its used the Gregorian calendar (by the way the russians only use it since the XX Century after the bolchevique revolution to be exact), and that calendar starts in year 1 not 0, so a decade meaning ten years will actually start in 1, 2001, 1991, 1981 etc and will end in 10, 2010, 2000, 2010, 01/01/2001 was actually the first year of our century, cause the same thought goes for centuries. Of course normally we celebrated this events of the century decade changing in a different way, but does not mean its correct.
For me I Will do a list in the mathematical gregrorian correct way starting with films made in 1971

1970 just seems right to me :smiley: . No explanation. Just that it is the year after 1969 ;D .

[quote=“El Topo, post:33, topic:2778”]Well this as been discussed before, but technically speaking that information is incorrect. We seem to have a lot of poets here in the forum, but few Mathematical thinking.
In most (or all) of the European countries its used the Gregorian calendar (by the way the russians only use it since the XX Century after the bolchevique revolution to be exact), and that calendar starts in year 1 not 0, so a decade meaning ten years will actually start in 1, 2001, 1991, 1981 etc and will end in 10, 2010, 2000, 2010, 01/01/2001 was actually the first year of our century, cause the same thought goes for centuries. Of course normally we celebrated this events of the century decade changing in a different way, but does not mean its correct.
For me I Will do a list in the mathematical gregrorian correct way starting with films made in 1971[/quote]

Trust the accountant to be guided by maths. ::slight_smile:

This decades thing doesn’t follow the same argument that works for, say, the millennium. We’re not counting from anywhere here. The seventies is just a ten year period where all the included years have a 70 in them. Same for 60s, 50s, whatever. Just an arbitrary method of grouping a time period together. So feel free to miss out 1970 if you want amigo but try and include a film from 1980 and there’ll be war. :o

Actually, the chances of you thinking that any western made in 1980 is worthy of being included in any list with the word favourite attached is pretty slim so we are probably pretty safe from any conflict on this front. :wink:

[quote=“El Topo, post:33, topic:2778”]Well this as been discussed before, but technically speaking that information is incorrect. We seem to have a lot of poets here in the forum, but few Mathematical thinking.
For me I Will do a list in the mathematical gregrorian correct way starting with films made in 1971[/quote]

You are probably right, but for the sake of comparableness you should swallow the frog and follow the majority in this case. And also consider And God Said to Cain.

We can follow the 70s poll with a Top 0,20 for the 80s and onwards, which surely is appropriate for this time span up to the present.

As a matter of fact it is the supposed mathematical approach to be unscientific: the hagiographic documents are not sufficient to establish the presumed date of birth of Jesus. Since Herod died in 4 BC, the birth of Jesus should be prior to that year. Some researchers theorize the addition of 300 years to medieval history by historians of the Middle Ages. The theory is based on discrepancies found in historical documents, often redated and handled and especially discrepancies of astronomical nature linked to reform of the calendar. According to this theory would have been “invented” the 300 years between the year 700 and the year 1000, and with them important historical figures such as Charlemagne and the other Carolingians up to Charles III (The main proponent of this theory is Heribert Illig). The reason or reasons for such a forgery would be political and religious: create legacies, titles, to claim thrones and reigns.

With this in mind, do you feel it makes sense to discuss the matter? :wink:

Technically (or whatever) El Topo is of course right, but these things seem more a matter of feeling, and most people will feel that the 70s start at '70.

In our case there’s also a good reason the take 1970 as the starting point: '69 was a transitional year, the glory days were over and directors were trying to find new ways for the genre. Five Men Army, Cowards don’t Pray, The Forgotten Pistolero, The Price of Power, Django the Bastard, not to mention those jolly good fellows Sartana & Sabata : they were all a bit different

For me Compañeros (more than Giù la testa) is the real pivotal movie: it’s the last true spaghetti western, but at the the same time the first true post (spaghetti) western.

That’s the main reason why I think of And God Said to Cain as a 60s film.