The Football Thread

Greetings from ‘grim up north’ land. Up here in dark satanic mill country it seems the locals seem a little bit more ‘chipper’ than usual. I got the feeling it was football related cheeriness. Maybe someone could enlighten me?
I know Brother Yod understands such things… :wink:

Happy new year y’all!

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:2281, topic:527”]Greetings from ‘grim up north’ land. Up here in dark satanic mill country it seems the locals seem a little bit more ‘chipper’ than usual. I got the feeling it was football related cheeriness. Maybe someone could enlighten me?
I know Brother Yod understands such things… :wink:

Happy new year y’all![/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey everyone! Do you recall my crowing about West Ham United being fourth in the English Premier League, just before Christmas? Yes? Well, since that balmy day (20th Dec) West Ham have won TWO - yes, TWO - games! Drawn seven and lost eight. Hurrah! Order is restored and we are once again “bottom half”. Never has the oft-used phrase “West Ham: Down with the decorations” been more apt.

Getting down to it now, Phil. Win or bust. On the one hand, away to Swindon should spell the end, really. But on the other hand, Swindon have nothing to play for positionally and hopefully their boys will be focussed on picking up no bookings (do they carry over into the playoffs?) and certainly no injuries before the playoffs. They’ll be wanting to glide through this match as smoothly and incident-free as possible. The biggest worry I’d imagine will be the other results. I reckon Notts County will lose to Gillingham and I’m bloody positive Colchester are doomed versus a Preston NE who need the win to secure promotion, but Crawley have got an eminently winnable game v Coventry.

Well, my team PSV won the Dutch title this year. So of all these miserable football fans overhere, at least one is happy!

Actually Bad lieutenant is a PSV supporter too, so that makes two shiny happy people

And one day The Hammers will be fourth again …

I’ll be honest and admit I accepted the inevitability of our relegation a couple of weeks back.

Yes, we might beat Swindon who will almost certainly field a team of bench players as they did on Saturday but I have seen a lot of very ‘winable’ games at the O’s this season that we failed to win. Plus, we now need 3 teams to fail to win who are above us and recent weeks have proved that at least one of them will almost surely manage it. The fact is we have been awful this year and have struggled all season to score goals and keep clean sheets. A toxic combination at any level of football. Add to that our car crash of a year off the pitch and you have to accept we deserve to go down. So any of you out there hoping for a rich foreign owner to sort your club out? Be careful what you wish for.

Being a football supporter can be a very stressful thing some times.
I had come to expect the inevitability of relegation but here we are at half time on the last day of the season and by some miracle we are currently sitting one place above the drop on goal difference. It’s the hope that hurts. The hope that hurts.

i’ll keep my fingers crossed

65 min. They’re (virtually) 21st on the League table, not enough, if I’m not mistaken. I see a red line between 20 and 21

Gillingham have just scored! If Preston can just scramble something in the last minute…

2-2 at Swindon

Oh no! Swindon have drawn level! That’s that, I reckon…

Colchester have beaten Preston 1-0, and that’s Leyton Orient down. :frowning:

Yes, throwing away a 2-0 lead doesn’t help but actually Colchester’s improbable win against Preston condemns us to the drop anyway. Hello League 2. Like I said, it’s the hope which hurts. Now that is finally gone I relax into a fit of depression without any more drama.

A win would’ve put you in 20st place, I think, with 51 points, just one place above the relegation line (or am I overlooking something?)

This is the table:

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:2294, topic:527”]A win would’ve put you in 20st place, I think, with 51 points, just one place above the relegation line (or am I overlooking something?)

This is the table:

That would see them jump over Notts Co and Crawley into 21st place - still fourth from bottom and relegated.

You’re right.

I’m gorgeous, too. :slight_smile:

You’re ri … wrong

One of the thing I like in British football, and in other places in which things are diferent from Portugal, is the fact the people are really loyal to their teams of birth, and don’t support the so called big teams.
So in England I support Leyton Orient cause Phil is my friend (even if they have a red jersey), regardless of which division they’re in.
He’re in Portugal with really one exception, Vitoria de Guimarães were people only support their home team, for the rest only a few die hards with no real meaning, everyone else support one of the big three (mostly the big two from Lisbon, Porto still mostly a one city team), and only after that another team, most from we’re they are from.

And because we’re friends I’m drowning my sorrows with a particularly nice bottle of Port. And damned fine it is too.