The Football Thread

(latest) England 0-1 Rest of the World (Seedorf, 47mins)

For obvious reasons it’s not the most technically sound game you’ll ever see, but it’s already approx. 400% more entertaining than Honduras v England yesterday.

Best moment so far: RoW manager Jose Mourinho running onto the pitch to scythe down singer Olly Murs:
[url]- YouTube

(latest) England 0-2 Rest of the World (Byrne, 68mins)

England 'keeper dispossessed and then chipped.

Edgar Davids hacking down z-lister Jonathan Wilkes and then trying to get into it with him. Plum. Someone wants to tell him it’s a pro-am charity game, a bit of fun.

EDIT: (latest) England 1-2 Rest of the World (Redknapp, 74mins)

EDIT: (latest) England 2-2 Rest of the World (Phillips, 81mins PENALTY)

Man v Food’s Adam Richman: Been training intensively for ages apparently, working with soccer coaches, playing for a Hollywood pro-am side to get match fitness, been tweeting about it non-stop… came on, got five minutes of game time, didn’t touch the ball, substituted.

EDIT: (latest) England 2-3 Rest of the World (Seedorf, 85mins)

Jaap Stam named Man of the Match

EDIT: (latest) England 2-4 Rest of the World (Seedorf, 91mins)

Full time.

2-3 to ROW now.

Probably a bit ruthless and not exactly in the spirit of it for Mourinho to play Stam, Seedorf and Davids for the full match but there you go. Poor old Adam Richman! ;D

What do you reckon about the O’s takeover, Phil?

Things looking up?

You can tell Gareth Bale is now paying in Spain, he’s now slicked his hair back and added one of them girlie headbands!

[url]Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

This got be the worst football jersey, I’ve seen. Cultureal Leonesa a Spanish League B team as this new tuxedo jersey.

On the other hand I’m going to buy this, just for fun. score a goal and go “Waiter please”

Not been around much lately due to work but thought I should come on and reply to a couple of posts.

@Topo yes, that is without doubt the worst football shirt in the history of the game. Looks even worse than West Ham’s regular one.

@Yodlaf I’m as positive as you can be over a club buy out. The guy seems to be doing it in the right way. Barry Hearn is being kept on as honorary president or some such and judging by our latest signing there is obviously more money available for wages. So far so good and if having an Italian owner improves the quality of the half time food on offer it can only be a good thing. Just so long as he doesn’t mess with the beer in the supporter’s club bar I’m cool.

He might add Peroni to the bar :slight_smile:

[size=12pt]EURO 2016 FRANCE[/size]

Euro 2016 taking a kick-start this weekend with lots, lots of games, some of them looking quite interesting. But, with 24 teams having a place in the final tournament, the qualifications look like one long run-up to the real thing in 2016. It’ll be quite hard NOT to qualify under these circumstances, at least for teams like Germany, Holland, England, Italy, Spain and the likes. Even El Topo & the Portuguese team should be able to qualify this time without using the fire escape of a play-off against, let’s say, Cyprus.

Anyway, we’ll see. Some of the games:

Sunday:
Germany - Scotland
Portugal - Albania
Monday:
Spain - Macedonia (what’s the new Spain capable of?)
Switserland - England
Tuesday:
Czech Rep. - Holland
Norway - Italy

Some results of friendly games played last week were remarkable:

Italy - Holland 2-0

Holland playing with ten men for about 80 minutes, but most of all playing without Arjen Robben. Like some have said, Oranje is Robbeb these days, without him, we have nothing to look for on the highest level. He won’t play against Czech republic …

And even more remarkable:

Germany - Argentina 2-4

The Germans playing with a new line-up, so it wasn’t a real revenge match for the World Cup final, but I noticed in some comments that the result hurt some feelings. Argentina played without Messi, but with Angel Di Maria this time, and he made a hell of a difference, ripping the German defence apart time after time.
Coach Löw said his team would have beaten Argentina with Di Maria as well, at least on that hot July night in Maracana. Quite possible of course, it would have been a different game with Di Maria playing, for both teams that is. And as far as the result is concerned: We’ll never know.

Brazil - Colombia 1-0

Neymar scoring the decisive goal. Again a very physical, often brutal match, so it seems
Most important thing is that Brazil basically used the same players as during the World Cup (only a few minor changes made), so I guess it’ll take quite some time before they’re back on the level we expect from them. Neymar can’t do it all on his own.

But we are already starting to try Sherp, by losing 1- 0 to Albânia, Amazing. They played so bad as a De Niro late film. I don’t know if Bento will reach to end of the qualification.

Dear me, those guys manage to beat even my worst expectations, every time again …

Believe it or not, I went to Dutch Teletext to check if you weren’t making a joke. You weren’t.

Weird Frank Lampard scored against Chelsea.

I was scared he was going to get another.

Have season tickets but dont know if can make it to Alvalade today to see SPORTING Chelsea. Work is bummer

Fantastic game last night between Paris Saint Germain and CF Barcelona, PSG winning 3-2.
Wonderful football in attack (and Ibrahimovic not even playing due to an injury), both teams rather shaky in defense.

Messi looked a bit more like the fantastic football player he once was than the tired player we saw on the World Cup, and Iniesta is close to his best form as well. Still the great days of Barça seem over, they simple haven’t found a man who can replace Xavi (the key player in the Barça tiki taka game); Xavi was brought in late, and he immediately lifted the Barça game, but he’s physically over his top, only able to play for about 30 minutes at the highest level.

Tonight’s game to look forward to: Anderlecht - Borussia Dortmund
Anderlecht have a great team at the moment, probably the best Belgian team in years, and players, supporters, the management, everybody’s optimistic about their chances in Europe (they absolutely want to survive the first round, some even think a place in the quarter finals is possible).
They did very well away against Galatasaray, but ‘forgot’ to win the game: they dominated the game for 75 minutes, but scored only one goal, should’ve scored at least three, and then took one in the dying moments of the game.
Dortmund will of course be a serious test for the team (and the club)

Anderlecht - Dortmund 0-3

It was a nice dream, but the dream is over. I saw some highlights of Arsenal - Galatasaray, and it looks like Arsenal will be too strong for Anderlecht too.

Hell I don’t like to complain about the refs, you lose you lose, but this game against Schalke 04 the way we did lose, was just too much. After more one player expelled in a very unfair way, and equalizing the game with a 3-1 result playing with ten men, the last penalty was clearly a joke, and worst it was concede by the goal ref. That’s what you get with a Russian ref and a team sponsored by a Russian Company.
One thing is for sure after this game I won’t complain about Portuguese refs anymore

[quote=“El Topo, post:2258, topic:527”]Hell I don’t like to complain about the refs, you lose you lose, but this game against Schalke 04 the way we did lose, was just too much. After more one player expelled in a very unfair way, and equalizing the game with a 3-1 result playing with ten men, the last penalty was clearly a joke, and worst it was concede by the goal ref. That’s what you get with a Russian ref and a team sponsored by a Russian Company.
One thing is for sure after this game I won’t complain about Portuguese refs anymore[/quote]

Just saw the highlights, a real shame.

Yep, terrible decision.