The Football Thread

As there are quite a few Europeans amongst us i was just wondering if any of you follow football (Soccer to all you Americans).

If so what teams do you support (Either your own country’s teams or abroad)

Mine is Chelsea Fc and i had the pleasure to watch them beat Arsenal in the Carling cup final yesterday, Hooray! ;D

Now if only we can win the champions league :slight_smile:

“We”? I didn’t know you were a professional footballer Yodlaf! Are you on the first team or the reserves? What position do you play in? Only joking.

Afraid I don’t see the attraction of 22 grown men chasing a leather sack full of air around a field. Each to their own I suppose.

Well first you watch chick flicks(it was you right yodlaf?) and now you support Fc Abramovic(i dont care how you write him correctly). I hope you supported them before too. I support the 1. football club of cologne(1.FC Köln) but we suck at the moment. it is sad. In the international competition i support any german team, but leverkusen schouldnt win anything.
And ic hope Valencia cf will beat inter. After living there half a year and being to the stadium(i love the ones directly in the city like valencias mestalla) twice, i gotta support them. maybe they even win the championship in spain.

I did support them before, since i was at school actually.

what i can’t stand is when people say to me “You only support them because they’re winning”, and some of these hypocrites used to rip the piss out of me a few years ago accusing me of supporting a shit team, you can’t win!

Anyways, i think Manchester United will win the Premiership again this year but you won’t catch me wearing a fucking red shirt! :slight_smile:

here is a joke

Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger are having a drink after the match.
After a few drinks Arsene turns round to Jose and says
"when i look in the mirror with nothing on i get aroused"
Mourinho replies
"i’m not surprised, your a cunt!" ;D

I’ve supported CHELSEA FC ever since I was 6 years old. Growing up in Yorkshire and going to a school full of Leeds Utd supporters, as you can imagine I got a bit of stick, especially as I insisted on wearing a replica shirt during games. All I will say is CHELSEA FC is the most successful team in the world right now, where are Leeds? Haa Ha.

That’s a bit exaggerated, and you probably know it. Anyway, I’m a PSV supporter. PSV is more anti-football these days, playing in good old (ugly) Italian fashion. But it gets the results. Hopefully they’ll knock out Arsenal, they’re up 1-0, so it can be done.

i believe leeds are dead last in the championship at the moment, looks like they will be going to league 1 ;D

a friend of mine is a leeds supporter and if there is anyone any good that used to play for them, If there is an England match on He will point out the goalkeeper Robinson,Manchester, Ferdinand would gert a mention and a few years ago if he was watching Chelsea with me, when Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank was playing i would hear “He used to play for Leeds”

That’s right, used to play for Leeds! All these players realised they could do better and off they popped to better clubs :wink:

Please do, i don’t like Arsenal.
When Chelsea beat them in the Carling cup final on sunday it once again proved that Arsenal can’t take losing and violence erupted.
Looks like the gunners got gunned down! :slight_smile:

How do you like Ballack, here in germany they allways say the papers in england rip him apart.
Since i stayed as a kid with shool in bolton i like the wanderers(and they had yeboah, he was famous in germany, everybody loved him) and my exchange partner was a united fan, so i like them aswell. I like fulham because they have moritz volz a german player with a funny as hell webpage(volzy.com, check it out its funny, and he is german, can you belive it???). I like the english teams that bring up german talents like aston villa with hitzelsberger and chelsea with huth, but they gave him away.

I think soccer would be far more exciting if the ball contained some sort of explosive device, with say a 10 metre blast radius, programmed to randomly detonate at some point during play. A few anti-personel mines buried under the grass would add an extra dimension to the game. The looks on the faces of the managers would be hilarious as they watch their multi-million euro signings reduced to a red stain on the pitch. It would make for a much faster paced, exciting spectacle as players desperately tried to lose possession of the ball.

[quote=“Cian, post:11, topic:527”]I think soccer would be far more exciting if the ball contained some sort of explosive device, with say a 10 metre blast radius, programmed to randomly detonate at some point during play. A few anti-personel mines buried under the grass would add an extra dimension to the game. The looks on the faces of the managers would be hilarious as they watch their multi-million euro signings reduced to a red stain on the pitch. It would make for a much faster paced, exciting spectacle as players desperately tried to lose possession of the ball.[/quote]The sad thing is that my team is playing like that right now. The player with the ball is the fool. So do you like to watch any sports at all?? i also like to play football myself

I shoot in a lot of clay pigeon competitions, but rarely win anything. I always seem to end up just outside the prize winning places. The only other sport I do is fishing, which isn’t really a sport, more of a hobby. Both are definitely participation sports, you couldn’t watch them or you’d die of boredom.

Some one mentioned Leeds in a previous post. I work with a Leeds fan and he is getting a lot of stick from everyone. I told him to take consolation in the fact that it will be really cheap to buy tickets to see them next season!

I think Michael Ballack is an excellent player but the last few matches i don’t think he has tried as hard as he could.
The funny thing with Ballack is that he was complaining how much houses cost to buy in England, the man earns £130,000 a week!
I don’t know the full history but i was told that there were bad vibes at Bayern Munich, all i know is that a player of his calibre comes to Chelsea on a free transfer…

Here in England you could be the best player in the world, have a few bad games and the papers will massacre you, look at poor Shevchenko, they are moaning that he hasn’t scored many goals but fail to mention how many he has set up.

After watching what the next games in the champions league will be i come back to this topic. Hi Chelsea supporters as you can guess from my nick i support Valencia cf, so im looking forward to them kicking some chelsea ass. I just hope they wanna fight it out like they did with inter, chelsea players are not the ones to mess with, i guess terry is bad when it goes down like this. Looking forward to some class games.

All I care about is PSV eliminating Liverpool.
@ the Chelsea supporters here: What are Chelsea’s plans with Alex? He doesn’t have enough caps to go to England, but ths guy is such a good defender that Chelsea, being his owner, at least could make a lot of money selling him. I reckon his price only went up after the Arsenal showdown. PSv are bunch of poor slobs and definitely cannot afford to buy him.

Well following today’s FA CUP 1/4 Round game between Chelsea and Tottenham (3-3) I would really like to have him back :wink:
It was a defensive nightmare, they are obviously missing John Terry, the sooner he gets fully fit the better.

Yeah, how long is Terry out? I saw it, it didnt look good. When he doesnt get fit until the game with Valencia, chelsea is gonna have a lot of fun with Morientes and especially Villa. Looking forward to some good games.

He should be back for Wednesday’s Premiership match at Manchester City. It’s mostly been a precautionary absence following him getting his head kicked during the Carling Cup Final victory over Arsenal last month. Yes I’m looking forward to the Chelsea v Valencia match too. :slight_smile:

I’d like to see a Chelsea, Manchester final.

I think Chelsea have a good chance of winning the F.A. cup (even though they only managed to scrape a 3-3 with Tottenham for a replay) and Champions league, id like to see them win the premiership for the third time in a row but i think them damn mancs will win it.