What is the Best Book on the History of the American West?

Go to hell???!!! Is that a book title?

Well sometimes hell not a bad choice I’m afraid.

[quote=“El Topo, post:21, topic:2995”]Go to hell???!!! Is that a book title?

Well sometimes hell not a bad choice I’m afraid.[/quote]

It’s the title of a Portuguese book on footbal

[size=12pt]SPO-1RTING [/size]

(Let’s continue on the appropriate thread)

All in good time Richard. All in good time.

Don’t worry Phil, you can take the train these days

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/245pxhellonwheelstitlec.jpg/[/url]

It’s the last train from Clarcksville, but be sure to have a ticket to ride, otherwise it’s, so to speak, return to sender, even if you express your sympathy for the devil

I’ll vote 17.8/20 for the SD’ism in this topic.

;D

Spot on :wink: .

Reminded me too on that unforgettable ex

I thought for a moment it was him, but SD had a certain sense of humour.

but only sometimes

Yes, and some of the things I thought were (meant to be) funny, turned out to be dead-serious

oh, that strict christian education - shaped many of us

I’m not at all interested in getting sucked into the vortex of vitriol that seems to be forming here, but I can give some perspective on histories from the perspective of someone trained as an historian, though I make my living doing something completely different. Probably the most important thing I can mention is that conflating dryness with quality is a mistake. There are a number of top-notch historians who write incredibly compelling works, thus putting them on the top tier in terms of reading/learning material. Nothing is worse than a dull history text. It’s like a dental drill for the brain.

The second thing I’d like to point out that elitism among historians is very real and damaging. History should be a thing that’s open and accessible to all people interested in how we got here and why. There’s a tendency among some to treat scholarship like a bludgeon useful only for bashing in the heads of the less enlightened. The very best historians work to bridge gaps, not create them.

As far as recommending a single, overarching work that encompasses the entirety of the American West — which is the point of this thread, after all — I can’t do that because, as has been pointed out, such a thing doesn’t exist. Specialization in the historical field exists for a reason: specifics in period and detail are better-contained in a discrete work. The very best solution would be to draw on a variety of texts from an assortment of historians and stitch their information together through your reading. There are some terrific, readable, highly informative works out there.

Just the way I will do it! :smiley:

I appreciate your help.

Not because I’m ungrateful for your help or anything… but when will you write that recommendation list? :smiley:

Tomorrow, probably.

Feast you eyes on these early landscapes by pioneer photographer Timothy O’Sullivan:

Richard

[quote=“Richard–W, post:36, topic:2995”]Feast you eyes on these early landscapes by pioneer photographer Timothy O’Sullivan:

When you come from a country that is flat as a pancake (I’m from Denmark), it’s almost hard to understand that landscapes like these really exists. I have been to America once but that was only in Orlando, Florida. :slight_smile:

My favorite part of America lol

Not that I didn’t like it. Actually it’s the best vacation I’ve been on, Disney World is fucking amazing! 8)

[quote=“Richard–W, post:3, topic:2995”]

SCALP DANCE by Thomas Goodrich. It’s bloody as hell and every word of it is cold hard fact.[/quote]

Description got me intrigued so I decided to give it a chance. Finished it about a month ago. Richard’s description is pretty spot-on, at least its first half since there’s no easy way I can verify the facts at the moment. In all honesty, the majority of the westerns that I have personally seen don’t even come close with this book as far as human brutality and bloodthirsty violence goes.