What "Great" movie do you not like?

There has been a discussion on another thread caused by one of our members stating that they weren’t that keen on Once Upon a Time in the West. This has got me thinking that it would be interesting to know who else has a universally accepted “Great” film that they really don’t like that much.

I’ll start things off by admitting that I have never been able to understand all the fuss about ‘Citizen Kane’. I read everywhere that it is the greatest movie ever made but I just don’t see it. I don’t even think it is the best film Orson Welles ever made.

Anyone else?

I agree, Citizen Cane is crap. I don’t really think much of Casablanca either.

Love Once Upon A Time in the West, don’t care that much about Once Upon A Time In America.

Maybe it’s a not a ‘great’ movie, but it’s a movie almost everybody likes, i hate it with passion - “The matrix”

…and don’t even mention the 2 sequels. Complete and utter shit.

[quote=“alk0, post:4, topic:644”]Maybe it’s a not a ‘great’ movie, but it’s a movie almost everybody likes, i hate it with passion - “The matrix”[/quote] visually it is quite cool and it set a lot of standards. but i dont like the neo nor the trinity character. and the philosophy part is lame. i would have betrayed all of them for a good steak. who cares about illusion.

Cannot think of a popular film that i dislike. im not that fond of “lost in translation” boooring even though it had scarlotte johansson :stuck_out_tongue: :-*
well and goodfellas was boring.

ohh i got one. Taxi Driver, okay cool lines and crazy guy this de niro. thats it.

HIGH NOON - Annie Hall- North by north west-the deer hunter… on a similiar note there are certain directors who are supposed to be great that totally suck imo -ROBERT ALTMAN king of boring dialogue scenes and made THE worst movie EVER- dr.t and the women.oliver stone is also overated (platoon his only good movie) alexander was a complete mess…and the most overated actor of all time leo decaprio.

Speaking of boring dialogues/monologues I’m not too fond of Kill Bill 2 either… People just going on and on and on about things that shouldn’t be interesting and isn’t. Kill Bill 1 was alright though, but nothing special.

I hate the standard it set. It made all the movies made nowadays full of CGI but without any other qualities. I wasn’t stunned by CGI in this movie either. The Neo character is lame so are all the other ones. Keeanu Reeves is a terrbile actor, he couldn’t act his way out of a paperbag. I don’t see any philosophy in this movie to be honest. It think it was made up by some fans to justify their fanboy love for this movie

Cannot think of great movies, only of popular ones… “Pirates of the carribean”, “Harry Potter”… But that’s a fact :slight_smile:

I like the Godfather and all but it just doesnt hold up to all the other gangster movies. I can watch Goodfellas and Scarface so many times but when when it comes to the Godfather im lucky if i can see once a year.

Ah. I didn’t like Scarface that much. Now I remember :slight_smile:

i think goodfellas is boring and predictable, but pesci is great in this one. I liked scarface even though i only saw the cut version. but it has a very different vibe than the classic mafia films

[quote=“alk0, post:9, topic:644”]I hate the standard it set. It made all the movies made nowadays full of CGI but without any other qualities. I wasn’t stunned by CGI in this movie either. The Neo character is lame so are all the other ones. Keeanu Reeves is a terrbile actor, he couldn’t act his way out of a paperbag. I don’t see any philosophy in this movie to be honest. It think it was made up by some fans to justify their fanboy love for this movie[/quote]well the philosophy is there:Allegory of the cave - Wikipedia it is called plato´s cave. i had it in school before the movie came out. so everybody was like it is so new and interesting. and i was like: no it is antique to be precise!

[quote=“JONAH HEX, post:7, topic:644”]and the most overated actor of all time leo decaprio.[/quote] well i have not seen a lot of movies with him. but his early ones are quite impressive. basketball diaries is interesting and well played. and in “what´s eating gilbert grape” he is great at playing a retarted boy, who knows why he is good at this. :wink: i think he got bashed for being a teenie star. like brad pitt.

Yeah i knew this philosophical theory, but i don’t think they thought of it when making this movie. I think it’s more like “oh what can we suggest we’ve been inspired with to make our movie seem inteligent?” :stuck_out_tongue:

I hate Blowup…
And I think Ladri di biciclette is boring. In his time, maybe good, but in our days… ::slight_smile:

I agree with Valenciano concerning the Leo DiCaprio thing ! I think he does well in ‘Basketball diaries’ and ‘Gilbert Grape’ but later stuff I despise !!! ‘Gangs of New York’ and ‘Blood Diamond’ for instance didn’t convince me a bit !!! ‘Blood Diamond’ could’ve been good without Leo AND Jennifer Conelly (or what’s the name?) !!! With 'em I’ve witnessed some really bad acting :stuck_out_tongue: :-[

[quote=“Phil H, post:1, topic:644”]There has been a discussion on another thread caused by one of our members stating that they weren’t that keen on Once Upon a Time in the West. This has got me thinking that it would be interesting to know who else has a universally accepted “Great” film that they really don’t like that much.

I’ll start things off by admitting that I have never been able to understand all the fuss about ‘Citizen Kane’. I read everywhere that it is the greatest movie ever made but I just don’t see it. I don’t even think it is the best film Orson Welles ever made.

Anyone else?[/quote] The trouble with Kane is that it’s dated now, and doesn’t hold much connection to a modern audience. I find it boring myself, whereas 20 years ago, I thought it was still cutting edge. My personal pick for this thread is Ghandi. How long was it? 20 hours? Seemed like it! Just to watch a male version of Calista Flockhart.

Ghandi and Ben Hur are by far the worst films which were “Academy Awarded” as best picture.

Pretty Woman

No doubt Pretty Woman was god awful. But surely no one could ever have considered ‘great’!