What book are you reading tonight?

I’ve just finished reading “The Third Man” by Graham Greene. It’s good, not his best, but it’s interresting when you compare it to the film. One of the biggest differances from the movie, is that the whole story is seen through the eyes of Major Calloway. However, it’s still well worth reading

[quote=“Søren, post:138, topic:1204”]I managed to sit through and enjoy the first three volumes … Then read number four which was badly written and just plain uninterestning and skipped the rest of the series…

I am a former King-fan by the way, having read (and collected) all of his stuff up until 94 or 95 … About the time he put out the Rose Madder and Dolores Claiborne novels which I both hated more or less and abandoned the collection. A sad and boring story :)[/quote]

The series takes a bit of a dip on volumes 3 & 4… three is just so damn long and somewhat removed from everything… i didn’t like 4 much because of the same reasons you mentioned, but the series really picks up again after that… Wolves of the Calla is excellent- extremely influenced by the Magnificent Seven and the western elements are pretty dominant… and I also really enjoyed the last book of the series

I was an avid King fan in my younger days, but also abandoned his works at a certain point…

The Dark Tower series really ties together most of what he’s written though, its kind of interesting… most of his stories and characters are interwoven with the series

Chandler’s “Farewell, my lovely”. I enjoyed it even though the polish translation was pretty horrible

It’s a shame the translation was horrible. Half the enjoyment of reading Chandler is his pose.

The pocket version of Sabata!

Does the book have any gadgets :smiley: .

I bought it with the pocket version of it’s sequel but other than that, no ;).

I know what you mean there were some moments that clever writing was clearly visible. And lots of moments were i had to read a passage two or three times to actually understand it. When you have that problem with sentences written in your native language that’s a clear sign of bad translation. I will try to get his other books in English.

just finished volume 3 of The Invisibles by Grant Morrison. Really enjoying the series and will have to check out some more of his works

As Bill Hicks once said…

“It looks like we got ourselves a reader here”

The accent really brings it home :slight_smile:

Is this a graphic novel?

I’m re-reading “Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel”. It’s a book of scripts from the radio show of the same name that ran for a season in the nineteen thirties. It had Groucho Marx as Flywheel and Chico Marx as his assisant, Ravelli. Brilliantly funny stuff, it was written by Nat Perrin and Arthur Sheekman, who “polished” the screenplays for “Monkey Business” and they got a on-sreen credit for “Duck Soup”. Nat Perrin also helped with the script’s of “Go West” and “The Big Store” (which was based on a episode of “Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel”). Great stuff.

Reading Carlos The Bewitched by John Nada. The account of the last Spanish Habsburg King Carlos II who was the product of six generations of inbred marriages.

Yep, The Invisibles is a graphic novel/comic series, currently available in collected volumes. Heavy occult themes, my cup o’ tea

I thorght so. Morrison is a good writer, especially when dealing with occult themes.

i am currently reading ( am only on chapter 2) of Something to do with death the Sergio Leone biography written by Christopher Frayling.

im on the last part of the third chapter to “All the Pretty Horses”

Good book. Do you have the complete trilogy?

Just finished The Brave Cowboy, a contemporary western (well contemporary in the mid 1950s anyway) about an anarchist cowboy trying to escape the demands of the government on a skittish horse.

Written by Edward Abbey this was adapted for film as Lonely Are The Brave and still stands up as a good read that poses some interesting questions about society, principles, duty and the rights of the individual. Recommended. Although the ending was somewhat too heavily signposted and predictable very early on.

no, but I want to read The Crossing soon…McCarthy is such an great writer