What book are you reading tonight?

[quote=“Tom B., post:80, topic:1204”]“Viva Elfego!: The Case for Elfego Baca, Hispanic Hero” by Stan Sager.

Biography of New Mexico lawman, lawyer, politician Elfego Baca. If you have never heard of him check him out.[/quote]

Sounds like a colourful character indeed Tom. Sometimes the truth is wilder than fiction eh?

Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson. I like his style and the book is pretty good. He does not try to be very objective but he observes well, and even realised when he is taken too much into the organisation.
He is critical of the media and the police, but does not glorify the Hells angels in any way.
Interesting read, i like this non-fiction stuff, that has a touch to it and is not written like a history book. The newspaper quotes capture quite well the feeling of the time.
Interestingly already at that time (the 60´s) the media was good in making people afraid of everything.

[quote=“valenciano, post:82, topic:1204”]Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson. I like his style and the book is pretty good. He does not try to be very objective but he observes well, and even realised when he is taken too much into the organisation.
He is critical of the media and the police, but does not glorify the Hells angels in any way.
Interesting read, i like this non-fiction stuff, that has a touch to it and is not written like a history book. The newspaper quotes capture quite well the feeling of the time.
Interestingly already at that time (the 60´s) the media was good in making people afraid of everything.[/quote]

This a little off-topic V, But have you seen any of the “biker” movies from the 60’s (Roger Corman’s The Wild Angels, for example?)

I’m about half way through ‘The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid’ by Bill Bryson.
It’s Bryson’s look back at his childhood growing up in Iowa in the 1950s and is laugh out loud funny.
Really enjoying it.

Just started reading Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer…40 pages in and I’m hooked. Very interesting story…will watch the movie after I finish.

Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine

Another graphic novel. And a first for Tomine after lots of often brillant short stories, which became longer and longer over the years, so that a real big story was the logical consequence. And he masters the big form very well.

It’s again about normal people, which Tomine portrays with a deep understanding, and of course it’s about the sad shortcomings of life.

It was first printed over 3 numbers of his own comic magazine Optic Nerve. Only 11 numbers were published since 1994 (following 7 self published small numbers from 1990 to 94). It contains his complete output for 15 years, only about 300 pages. His other Optic Nerve collections Summer Blonde (4 longer shortstories) and Sleepwalk (15 stories with betweeen 1 and 15 pages) are also highly recommended.

no i havent just easy rider, and i did not care much for it, but the book is quite cool, I like the approach by thompson, half documentary.

right now i read no country for old men, it is very close to the film so i always have the images in my head. kind of boring this way, dont know really what to think of the book so far.

started reading Durruti in the Spanish Revolution this week.

This book arrived today from the French capital (couldn’t find it in Brussels, so had to order it):

http://imageshack.us

If you know some French, you read a little more about it here:

It was very expensive, but it looks gorgeous, with tons of photos
I’ve been reading in it the entire afternoon, and have already found some interesting ideas of mr. Giré about the genre
Unfortunately I have to work tonight
It’ll be very late before I see my bed …

I started Elmore Leonard’s The Bounty Hunters last night. I read it a couple of years ago and don’t remeber very much at all about it.
I don’t read a lot of western pulp but Elmore Leonard if very entertaining.

Based on AceHigh’s recommendation I read an Amos Walker novel by Loren D. Estleman, Retro.

You are right AceHigh, it was a fun read. Kind of a cross between Raymond Chandler and Elmore Leonard in style. I liked it. Thanks for the tip.

Hemingway’s To Have and Have Not after rewatching the Hawks film, which is quite a different thing.

Entertaining, uneven novel. I like Hemingway’s style very much, if he doesn’t become sentimental.

After my big Christmas and all those books I got, I decided to start Cormac McCarthy’s The Road. Is aiming up to be a very good read.

I’m sure you have mentioned this but I don’t recall…have you read Blood Meridian?

Not yet. I tried a long time ago to secure a copy but didn’t invest too much emotion in it. My interest in the book lies mostly in my unhealthy interest in scalphunters. But I was let down by the only scalphunting spaghetti: Navajo Joe.

Cycle repair book, as re building a wheel.

Finishing up The Earth Will Shake, by Robert Anton Wilson, and then its on to the next in the series- The Widow’s Son. Almost running out of RAW to read…

… except for Black Jack - that’s got one. And Vengeance Trail (that’s about a scalphunter). And there is even a sw called … Scalps :wink:

I’ve sussed you Ennioo … you’re …

We need such a man here, a forum repair man who could remove some small obstacles - as some railroad men would say - so Seb’s brilliant ideas and programs could be implemented more smoothly in the future