What book are you reading tonight?

Didier Drogba - The Autobiography

Trainspotting

Iā€™d been meaning to read this for years and have finally got around to it. Itā€™s a good read. Harsh but funny at the same time. Strangely enough Iā€™ve never got round to seeing the film either. perhaps Iā€™ll get on to that once Iā€™ve finished the book.

Tony Hillerman died yesterday(Sunday Oct. 26) in Albuquerque, NM -83 years old- He was greatness.

That is very sad news. Hillermanā€™s books are among my favourite detective fiction.

I think its interesting that he started writing novels relatively late in life. If memory serves me, his first book came out when he was in his mid to late forties. His earlier years were spent mostly as a journalist and professor. If you have a chance to read his autobiography(Seldom Disappointed,) I recommend it. As a matter of fact Phil H, if you lived around these parts, Iā€™d loan it to you.

Thanks for that AceHigh. Actually my wife is a librarian, so Iā€™ll see if she can track a copy down for me and get it on order.

A librarian? How lucky can one man be?! Youā€™re certainly blessed.

Elmore Leonard: The Hot Kid.

Having been reminded of Dick Emery and Alf Garnett over on the British Comedy thread, I think Iā€™ll re-read The Retreat of Reason - Political Correctness and the Corruption of Public Debate in Modern Britain by Anthony Browne.

Just saw this post nowā€¦

Anyway, the style of writing is fresh and definitely not standard. As it is written through the eyes of the autistic kid, his condition often shines through. His reflections are very entertaining. As a not too avid reader I can easily say this book ā€˜reads awayā€™ very easily. Entertaining throughout.
The writer worked with autistic kids by the way, and judging from this book he paid good attention studying their quirks and traits.

[quote=ā€œBad Lieutenant, post:50, topic:1204ā€]Just saw this post nowā€¦

Anyway, the style of writing is fresh and definitely not standard. As it is written through the eyes of the autistic kid, his condition often shines through. His reflections are very entertaining. As a not too avid reader I can easily say this book ā€˜reads awayā€™ very easily. Entertaining throughout.
The writer worked with autistic kids by the way, and judging from this book he paid good attention studying their quirks and traits.[/quote]

Thanks. If i come across a copy i may have a look. Though, i believe (and correct me if iā€™m wrong) that itā€™s about a boy with Aspergerā€™s syndromeā€¦so a bit different than my own kidā€¦

Iā€™m now roughly half way through Didier Drogbaā€™s book.

Violent Professional; The Films Of Luciano Rossi arrived this morning. I was initially surprised at how small the book was, but it was a good little read. The writer was obviously a big fan, but also levelled criticisms appropriately instead of gushing all the way through the book. And i now have a list of films to look out for in the futureā€¦

I met the author last year and she signed my one for me :slight_smile:

Nice. But if you bump into her again, can you ask if sheā€™s planning on something similar for anyone elseā€¦Frederico Boido for example :wink:

She did actually say she wanted to do his one next :slight_smile:

Great news! Hope it comes to fruition! ;D

I agree. Good read and I would recommend it to everyone. Mark Haddon gets it spot on.

I believe you are correct.

Iā€™m about halfway through Tomcat in Love by Tim Oā€™brien at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. I had read 3 of his Vietnam novels before and they were excellent but this is very different. More of a black comedy seen through the eyes of a very unreliable narrator. Recommended.

Iā€™m in the first third of Parachute Infantry by David Kenyon Webster.
Before that it was Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters, by Dick Winters. That was really a great read. I would recomend it even if you did not read Band Of Brothers.