What book are you reading tonight?

[quote=“Filmlovr1, post:498, topic:1204”]I recently finished Doctor Sleep, by Stephen King. The sequel to The Shining. I enjoyed it.

Meanwhile, I’ve been trying to finish King’s 11/22/63 the past couple years, and made it past half-way, but it’s been difficult to finish it up. IMO, some of King’s works are captivating…The Shining, It, Desperation, Under the Dome, Doctor Sleep, and The Talisman(co-written with Peter Straub), and some others; but I find that King can sometimes go off on a tangent and the pacing of some of his other novels grinds to a screeching halt.[/quote]

I have to admit that I didn’t care much for DOCTOR SLEEP. And, saying that, enjoyed the heck out of 11/22/63.

I would read King’s grocery list, though. He’s been my favorite writer since I discovered him in 1975, and I haven’t looked back since.

For several years starting in the late '90s, my favorite author was Dan Simmons. He could pretty much write in any genre…horror, fantasy/sci-fi, semi-factual historical, crime novels, etc. My personal favorites are:
The Summer of Night
The Terror
Carrion Comfort
The Hyperion/Endymion series
The Crook Factory
The Song of Kali
Children of the Night
Black Hills

Some others not so much. I absolutely hated Flashback. So much in fact, I was turned off to reading his stuff for a few years now. However, I’m planning on reading his newest, The Abominable.

I’m one who enjoyed THE ABOMINABLE. Since you’re a Simmons fan, I think you’ll enjoy it, too.

I’m a member of another forum where there was quite a stir over that book.

Herne The Hunter #10 VIGILANTE John J McLaglen

Caleb Thorn #3 BROTHERLY DEATH L.J. Coburn

This is another oater series written by Laurence James and John Harvey. Very detailed in its graphic descriptions, I love this series! It’s set during the Civil War, and Thorn and his Raiders (lifted pretty much from THE DIRTY DOZEN) go behind the Confederate lines wreaking havoc.

Good stuff!

Just downloaded the Kindle edition of:

Good stuff so far without breaking much new ground. It’s a light read and it’s far from essential - it would be a great present for someone brand new to the genre, though! - but I’m enjoying it.

I bought that for the Kindle, too. Like you, I enjoyed it. Nothing much in the way of new, but still interesting.

Putting aside my latest manuscript, I picked up HERNE THE HUNTER #11 Silver Threads.

This is an excellent oater series. Much in the same vein as a spaghetti oater, Laurence James (who wrote this installment) keeps the action moving quickly. There’s also nice touches to his characterization.

Just finished Gunny’s Rules: How to Get Squared Away Like a Marine by R. Lee Ermey of Full Metal Jacket fame.

Crow #1 THE RED HILLS James W. Marvin

This is written by Laurence James, a member of the Piccadilly Cowboys.

A very vicious gunslinger is Crow, as evidenced by the opening chapter where he uses his sawn-off shotgun to kill a young girl’s dog. I love it!

I’ve read the entire series, and James never takes the foot off the pedal. It’s pressed to the floor through all 8 books.

Easily recommended.

I’m reading Endo’s When I Whistle and I guess Endo is my kind of novelist - it’s a wonderful stuff, just like his Silence. Nothing sinister has happened so far, but it’s bound to transmute into something very, very dolorous. I love it. :slight_smile:

Just finished Kamera Books series: “John Carpenter” by Colin Odell & Michelle LeBlanc. It’s in the same series of books as “Spaghetti Westerns” by Howard Hughes. Great, short and to the point analysis of virtually all of Carpenter’s films from Dark Star all the way to The Ward. I’m currently reading an older book on Hammer Productions films.

Started Clockwork Orange yesterday. At least the first part of the book is very similar as Kubrick’s presented it.

The second part unfortunately isn’t and this is why I somehow found Kubrick’s film disappointing.

What’s the problem with the 2nd part?

Herne The Hunter #12 SUNDANCE

To my way of thinking, Kubrick drastically simplifies the book’s section regarding Alex’s internal despair deriving from the fact that the prison therapy deprived him of the joy of listening to his beloved music. Apart from that and getting rid of the motif of the old scholar, which is pretty significant too, he also removes the book’s last chapter, which plays an exceedingly crucial role, and completely modifies the motif of the writer whose wife gets raped. Whilst the writer in the book feels like a real human being, in the movie, Kubrick renders him homosexual (absolutely no idea why), but most importantly almost caricatural in his behaviour and appearance. Surely, a filmmaker can interpret any work in their own way, but upon reading the book, I was deeply disappointed with Kubrick’s flick, which felt immensely superficial vis-a-vis the book, and the depth of Alex’s character which felt cardboard-dimensional in Kubrick’s motion picture.

Have to admit that I even though I liked the book, I prefer the film. Excellent.

Kubrick’s film is a satire and every character in the film is a caricature.
The last chapter of the book is one which was not in every edition of the book. Kubrick only knew the book without that chapter, and couldn’t believe later that Burgess really wrote such a last chapter, which is some kind of happy end in a skewed way, and of course he preferred his ending with Alex remaining violent, but now with the approval of society.

Mickey, I don’t know why you think the writer is homosexual. He was married before, and the mere existence of this body builder guy does not necessarily mean that he is his lover besides being his aid.