What book are you reading tonight?

am reading Dear Boris by Cynthia Lindsay. a book about the life of Boris Karloff.

Just gonna snuggle up in bed with Sergio Leone, Once Upon A Time In Italy.
Ma & Pa spotted it in Waterstones and thought I might like it. Yes thank you very much.

the plimico encyclopedia of western gunfighters

just finished the graphic novel ā€œMausā€ by Art Speigelmanā€¦its the true story of Speigelmanā€™s father Vladek and how he survived the holocaustā€¦the characters are all drawn as animalsā€¦Jews are Miceā€¦Germans are cats, ectā€¦i recommend this to anyone who like comics or just great storytelling

Working my way through Sax Rohmerā€™s Fu Manchuā€™s. Up to The Bride of Fu Manchu at the moment. Also just started on Mooreā€™s League of Extraordinary Gentleman.

Iā€™m reading How to talk about books you havenā€™t read by Pierre Bayard.

It was pretty much praised by critics, but it find it boring.

Please tell a little bit more, so I donā€™t have to read it.

Well, the title is a bit misleading. Almost having read it I know not more about a clever behaviour in a situatuion where I have to talk about books I havenā€™t read. That means everything he says is just the normal behaviour of a intelligent reader of books and a not untalented participant in educated or pseudo educated talk.

He more or less says that you donā€™t have to be afraid if you are in a situation like that and that you have to improvize using your knowledge of books and their authors. You can pretend to have read the book by talking about what you heard or read about it. Maybe you know somtheing about the author or you have read another work by him.n In that case you can somehow imagine how the book of interest could be like.

You mustnā€™t be shy, you can state your point strongly without even having one.

Thatā€™s more or less itā€¦

Just finished A Thing of Unspeakable Horror a history of Hammer Films by Sinclair McKay and found it a terrific read. Informative and funny, McKay is clearly a fellow fan, but one who can see and enjoy the absurdity and craptastic qualities of some of the films in question while maintaining a deep respect for the personnel involved.

I think my favourite piece of info gleaned from the book is that the genuine development process of a film at Hammer went in the following order. First think up a good title, then get the promo department to make up a suitably lurid poster. If the poster looked like something they could sell theyā€™d commission a script and then go in to production. The whole process taking about six months from initial idea to finished product. I love the idea that the poster came before the script. ;D

;D
You know that I like my books with plenty of pictures in Phil ā€¦ yā€™know, this one appeals to me for some reasonā€¦

My! Is that Madeline Smith on the cover?!

[quote=ā€œReverend Danite, post:270, topic:1204ā€];D
You know that I like my books with plenty of pictures in Phil ā€¦ yā€™know, this one appeals to me for some reasonā€¦

My! Is that Madeline Smith on the cover?!

[/quote]

Oh yes. 8)
I had a flick through that one in Waterstones the other day and it has definitely gone on my birthday wish list. Itā€™s about 25 quid in the shops which is a bit steep but only half that on amazon. Iā€™ve told my wife it is a feminist text based on the amount of women in it and that it is needed to help my development as a new age man.

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:271, topic:1204ā€]Oh yes. 8)
I had a flick through that one in Waterstones the other day and it has definitely gone on my birthday wish list. Itā€™s about 25 quid in the shops which is a bit steep but only half that on amazon. Iā€™ve told my wife it is a feminist text based on the amount of women in it and that it is needed to help my development as a new age man.[/quote]

Never had much interest in New Age, but maybe Iā€™d better change my mind ā€¦

;D - youā€™ll be in trouble! :wink:
Iā€™ve ordered it - a tenner + postage from amazon - canā€™t be bad!
I obviously need it for figure reference.
Actually, as Iā€™m watching a few more Hammerā€™s these days, I thought about getting it, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve got the time (or inclination) for a proper book*.
Anyway - worth it for the cover alone! :slight_smile:

(*One where the words outnumber the pics).

Just finished The Fallen Man another one of Tony Hillermanā€™s Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn novels. Iā€™ve read a few of these now and really like them. Chee and Leaphorn are policemen on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico and the books are permeated with a totally different cultural approach to police work and life while still being very enjoyable crime stories. Highly recommended.

Bought me with The Elixir of Doc Doxey (1953) an early Lucky Luke comic of the pre-Goscinny era. Boring.

Morris wasnā€™t a good writer, only his drawings are on their way to the later standard.

But it inspired me read again some of the brilliant stuff of the Goscinny days. And it was appropriate to take first his SW inspired The Bounty Hunter starring Lee van Cleef. Absolutely recommended.

http://www.khalisi.com/comics/luckyluke/ehapa/cover043.jpg

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:275, topic:1204ā€]Bought me with The Elixir of Doc Doxey (1953) an early Lucky Luke comic of the pre-Goscinny era. Boring.

Morris wasnā€™t a good writer, only his drawings are on their way to the later standard.

But it inspired me read again some of the brilliant stuff of the Goscinny days. And it was appropriate to take first his SW inspired The Bounty Hunter starring Lee van Cleef. Absolutely recommended.

http://www.khalisi.com/comics/luckyluke/ehapa/cover043.jpg[/quote]

Last year I gave the Bounty Hunter to a friend for birthday, He is a great LvC fan and was really excited about the present.

Yeah, itā€™s a very good and funny comic, even if Lee is here a bit cowardish. 9/10 for The Bounty Hunter

Just read one of the best: Tortillas for the Daltons. 10/10
Excellent.Havenā€™t laughed that much for years while reading a book or watching a film.

And the last by Goscinny: Der singende Draht 6/10

Donā€™t know how to translate it, but itā€™s about the building of the telegraph lines.
Not bad, but only routine for Goscinny standards. Maybe he died before it was completed.

I canā€™t remember where I put my Lucky Luke collectionā€¦ maybe I ask my parents. I had all the books to around number 45 or soā€¦

The German edition was released in random order.

Maybe my brother took the LLs when he moved outā€¦