What book are you reading tonight?

The Lawmen…collection of short stories about same.

Appreciate it, FT. Guess I’ll check it out.

That is my wife’s opinion so I think it’s valid. :wink:

Yeah, my wife gives it the thumbs up too.

Just started Don Quixote! :o I just finished Blood Meridian and needed reading material when I’m not doing anything in class. After my Grandfather’s death, my Dad and Uncles inherited his massive book collection. Most of which are 60+ year old books (the copies that is) of classics like the Odyssey, Don Quixote, Moby Dick, War of the Worlds, Ben Hur, and countless Sherlock Holmes novels to name a few. Yet I picked Don Quixote.

korano, those are all great reading IMO.

Don Quixote is one of the great novels I still have to read
I have a copy, but never got to reading it

Two other novels that are still on my reading list are Doctor Zhivago and The Great Gatsby
Zhivago is, like Quixote, a long book, but Gatsby is rather short, no more than a novella, it would only take me a few hours to read it, and still I somehow never managed to do so.

Reading the recently published Nabokov actually
So far (70 pages) a good read, as long as you don’t expect a new Pninn or Pale Fire
Some fans (and I am most certainly a fan) have been talking about a ‘forgotten masterpiece’, but that’s nonsense. There are several typical Nabokovisms, but you notice it’s an unfinished manuscript, it needed probably three or four rewritings to create a vintage Nabokov

These are among my three favorite books ever written. I read “Moby Dick” on a two-week holiday once, averaging about a hundred pages a day.

I read this in three days. A good contender for the best book ever written.

Don Quixote is a great book and often considered the first real novel. It’s style is of its time of course but I still think it holds up and is genuinely funny and moving. I’ve read it in English and Spanish and would recommend it to any self educator such as yourself korano. If for no other reason than to fully understand all the references to it which appear in countless other texts, both literary and cinematic. For example, the idea of ‘tilting at windmills’ began here.

Gatsby is truely a great novel. I re-read it two or three months ago.

My favourite Fitzgerald book is his collected Pat Hobby stories. Genuinely funny and rarely mentioned.

I really loved The Last Tycoon.

I think everyone foregets how great “This Side of Paradise” is, especially as it was his first novel. I have “Tender is the Night” sitting mornfully on the bookshelf, crying out to be read.

Just finished Cormac McCarthy’s No Country for Old Men.
A well crafted story with some really interesting structural decision making from the author. At first I felt let down by the last 50 pages or so as my expectations were set up and then betrayed. But the more I reflect on it the more I think it was thematically important to the whole narrative and actually makes sense. I’m still not sure though if I think it was brave or arrogant on McCarthy’s part. Good book either way.

I still haven’t seen the film and as I’ve heard it is quite faithful to the book I feel more driven to watch it than ever. I’d like to see how they handle it.

Me Cheetah, the auto biography of the still living chimp from the 1930’s Johnny Weismuller Tarzan films. at times, funny, touching and crude, surprisingly foul mouthed and hard hitting kiss and tell about the superstars of hollywood. at times almost as shocking as Klaus Kinski’s auto biography!

Not so much reading as drooling over the pictures…The Standard Guide to American Muscle Cars 1960 - 2005

Silver, is my favorite(and first) car in there? 1969 Plymouth RoadRunner. Ah, the memories…

Was wondering if anyone else here may be interested in muscle cars… I’m working on restoring a 1966 Pontiac Tempest Custom… got a 326 V8 HO and is called the “poor man’s GTO” because it looks very similar and is often cloned into a GTO

Know nothing about cars, but restoring one of these cars sounds like a rewarding challenge to me. I like to have a go at fixing things.

Actually I am in the same boat ENNIOO :slight_smile: I didn’t know anything at all about cars when I bought it, I just decided it would be a good challenge for me one day and did it… Sometimes I like to just delve into areas I have no knowledge in and see what happens, and like you say, it can be very rewarding

Here’s a photo of the Tempest, pretty much as it looks right now