What are your favorite 21st century movies?

One I will not watch in a hurry again.

Watching it wasn’t a torture all the way, but I felt it could have been shorter and not so tiring. Not a bad film though.

I haven’t put any westerns on my list although there are some that made a difference and could have been mentioned, stuff like SERAPHIM FALLS, OPEN RANGE and APALLOOSA.

That’s interesting; I never felt Leone or any Spaghetti Western influence in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. I find it a great film, and one that works in its own sweet time. It “felt” like the most realistic Western I’ve ever seen (whether it is or not is of course immaterial; emotional reality trumps plain realism every time for me).

i have it on my list too - best 21.century western for me, second would be Proposition
worst 21.c. western would be 3:10 to Yuma

@ The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

i have it on my list too - best 21.century western for me, second would be Proposition worst 21.c. western would be 3:10 to Yuma

Beautifully made, well-acted, but it didn’t do anything for me. Don’t know exactly why, I can appreciate art house movies and therefore art house westerns too, but this one was hard to sit through.

The Proposition is an excellent (without John Hurt it would’ve been a true classic) and I also liked True Grit, Open Range, Seraphim Falls and The Missing.

Oddly enough I havent seen 3:10 to Yuma yet.

3:10 to yuma is a good film and a pretty enjoyable Western. It’s not as good as the original, but I would give it a mild recomendation.

i disagree - my favorite scene is with Pearce and Hurt talking in that tavern with dead bodies lying around, Hurt’s great in that scene imo

True Grit would be definitely on my list if it would have had better ending - but the finale was crap

I thought hurt’s character was okay and I wouldn’t have had trouble with that particular scene, but it’s Hurt’s overacting which hurts, so to speak, especially in this later scene, when he, al of of a sudden, pops up again.

What I like about this film, is all things Nick Cave brought into it, especially his score. But most things (cinematography, performances, action) are fine.

enjoyable? maybe - but when one start to evaluate it, it is actually one crappy scene after another - actors and direction is okay, but screenplay is one of the worst i’ve ever seen - even Battlefield Earth has better script than this shit
anyway, i’m quite surprised how good imdb rating it has

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:48, topic:3174”]I thought hurt’s character was okay and I wouldn’t have had trouble with that particular scene, but it’s Hurt’s overacting which hurts, so to speak, especially in this later scene, when he, al of of a sudden, pops up again.

What I like about this film, is all things Nick Cave brought into it, especially his score. But most things (cinematography, performances, action) are fine.[/quote]

i don’t know, i like this kind of acting, of course it would be weird if everyone in the movie act like this - but if it is only one character in confrontation with another character who acts normally, i find it interesting

[quote=“tomas, post:49, topic:3174”]enjoyable? maybe - but when one start to evaluate it, it is actually one crappy scene after another - actors and direction is okay, but screenplay is one of the worst i’ve ever seen - even Battlefield Earth has better script than this shit
anyway, i’m quite surprised how good imdb rating it has[/quote]
I’ve seen it once, on TV, so I can’t talk about it in-depth, but its basic premise is exactly the same as the original. Most of the changes were there to acomadate more action scenes, which were well done.

Maybe it is interesting to compare our favorites with Oscar winners:
2000: Gladiator
2001: A Beautiful Mind
2002: Chicago
2003: TLotR: RotK
2004: Million Dollar Baby
2005: Crash
2006: The Departed
2007: No Country for Old Men //by far most mentioned movie among these in topic
2008: Slumdog Millionaire
2009: The Hurt locker
2010: The King’s Speech
2011: The Artist
2012: Argo

Most have only 1 vote, many have zero.
I’ve remembered Traffic, I think it’s great movie but nobody mentioned it. Anybody likes it?

Traffic is a very good film. Much better than Gladiator, against which it lost the Best picture Oscar, but Soderbergh won the Best Director one.

I prefer Traffic easily to every of the Best picture winners of the new century with the exception of No Country for Old Men. But haven’t seen Argo, The Artist, Slumdog Millionaire and Chicago. But I don’t expect any of them to be in that class. Hmm, maybe The Artist.

Actually most of the Oscar winners are lesser films for me. Not bad, but also never fascinating stuff.

I’ve seen eight of the thirteen Best Picture Oscar winners since 2000: Gladiator, Chicago, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The Departed, No Country for Old Men, The Hurt Locker, The King’s Speech and The Artist. All of them, except maybe Chicago, I would put in a “Favourite Films of the Last Thirteen Years” list.

Traffic  9,5/10

2000: Gladiator 6/10
2001: A Beautiful Mind 6
2002: Chicago -
2003: TLotR: RotK 4
2004: Million Dollar Baby 6
2005: Crash 6
2006: The Departed 6
2007: No Country for Old Men 10
2008: Slumdog Millionaire -
2009: The Hurt Locker 6
2010: The King’s Speech 6
2011: The Artist -
2012: Argo -

I cannot recommend Slumdog Millionaire, very superficial movie. Sole intruder among these Oscar winners for me (but maybe Chicago which I haven’t seen can change that :slight_smile: ).
But at least it prevented The Curious Case of Benjamin Button from winning the Best picture. That was really annoying and disappointing for me.

I actually liked Fincher’s The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I found it to be very well acted and scripted. In an unforgiving mood, I would have found it too pretensious, but I watched it in the right frame of mind, so I got a lot out of it.

As for ranking Best Picture winners:

2000: Gladiator - 7.5/10, a cop-out really, but it seems better than a seven implies and yet I can’t quite make myself givie it an eight. My brother however would probably give it a nine.
2001: A Beautiful Mind - N/A, although I do have it recorded off the television, so this might be the “kick” to bet me to watch the damn thing (and I generally like Ron Howard).
2002: Chicago - 6/10, it’s not the worst Best Picture winner (hello A Man for All Seasons and Oliver!), because it kept me entertained at least and Reichard Gere and John C. Reilly were pretty good, but it should never have been nominated really.
2003: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 9/10, a superb film, easily among the four of five finest of the decade, although as the series goes, I would give a slight edge to The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
2004: Million Dollar Baby - N/A, I haven’t seen it, but hey, it’s Clint Eastwood, so I will one day.
2005: Crash - N/A, I like Paul Haggis as a screenwriter, but I haven’t see any of his work as a director yet though. Hmm. The cast is good though.
2006: The Departed - 9/10, another one of those “masterpieces of the decade” (overused, I know), it just worked wonderfully, the editing and direction in particular. The roster of excellent performences helped keep a complex plot clear and Mark Whalberg was a revelation. It’s a rare case of a remake being better than the original (it’s that old Scorsese magic).
2007: No Country for Old Men - 9/10, again, a bumper year with the Coen Bros. delivering their best film so far in a career packed with them. Javier Bardem, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin complete a trio of superlative male performances.
2008: Slumdog Millionaire N/A, it is Danny Boyle, and thus maybe worth a look, but I find it hard to summon much enthusiasm for it. 127 Hours however, I liked immensley because it didn’t take the easy way of doing things.
2009: The Hurt Locker - 8/10, the first truly great film about the war in Iraq. The actors are good, but this is Kathryn Bigalow’s movie and her direction is astonishing in its veracity and intenseness.
2010: The King’s Speech - 7/10, a good, solid drama with Tom Hooper allowing the actors to make it. It’s not groundbreaking, but it works for what it is.
2011: The Artist - 8/10, a really charming winner, directed with verve and utalising all the best techniques of the silent era, supported by a cast who are in complete tune with the director’s vision. A treat.
2012: Argo - N/A, although it looks pretty good, so it is one I will check out.

But John, most of these films have “only” a 7 or 8 /10. And these are for you “Favourite Films of the Last Thirteen Years”?

For my taste, there were lots of 10ers in the last 13 years. Too much to name them all here. Many were already mentioned in one of the lists, some not.

I have seen eight Best Picture winners of the last thirteen years. Of those eight, I would give five “eight or more out of ten”, so yes, I would put these films on my favourites list. And five is more than half of the ones I have seen.

Gladiator : 9/10 - I always wanted to be among the audience in a Roman Arena, this film gave me the chance. Tremendous action, greatest film experience in a long time.
A Beautiful Mind : 5/10 Don’t remember that much of it, only that I didn’t like it
Chicago: 6,5/10 Bettter than I thought it would be (saw it on TV a year or so ago)
LOTR: Return of the King 7,5/10 A long ride with multiple endings, not much content (the evil is represented by a ring!), but i enjoyed the ride (and the landscape)
Million Dollar Baby: 5/10 never been a fan of Clint the director, and certainly not of this movie
Crash : Not seen
The Departed : 6/10 The original is way better
No Country for Old Men 6,5/10 The book is way better and I didn’t like the performances (except for Tommy Lee)
Slumdog Millionaire 5/10 might be okay if you watch it and don’t think about what you’re watching, but if you start thinking …
The Hurt Locker : Need to see this one …
The King’s Speech : 7,5/10 Excellent performances and I like these type of films
The Artist : Not seen, don’t think I will soon
Argo : Going to watch it soon, high expectations