šŸ¤— Welcome to the SWDb Community!

Hi everyone just joined the forum today and will be submitting my top 20 list shortly.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard :smile:

1 Like

Hello everybody! Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve visited. My Name Is Pete. I LOVE Spaghetti Westerns, and the more pasta, the better, I say. I also enjoy many other old movies (by ā€œoldā€ I mean 1970s and prior). I have a blog which some of you may be interested in. Itā€™s called ā€œlongitudes,ā€ and my most recent blog post concerns Revisionist Westerns (of which Spags are a subset). Please check it out, would love to have you visit for some coffee and beans! (https://peterkurtz.wordpress.com/2016/02/23/when-you-have-to-shoot-shoot-dont-talk-the-revisionist-western/)

Adios, friends!

1 Like

Welcome back, wohooo!

Welcome greenpete! Excellent article!

Welcome amigo. Liked your article, glad to see the appaloosa on there, it has many flaws and i remember liking it a lot more when i was young but i recently watched it again on my universal Brando set that has it in a prestine dvd(so youre wrong about that).

Hi Pete,
we share a similar taste for westerns, as half of your top 10 make my top 10 too.

But then, you also wrote that:

"Before the 1960s, and dating to the silent film era of the 1920s, movie and television Westerns were extraordinarily popular, but very formulaic. With only a few exceptions, there were good guys and bad guys, and nothing in-between. The actors looked like theyā€™d just stepped from the fitting room at J.C. Penny. The dialog was clean and predictable. Even the violence was clean, with maybe a spot of grey, at most, to reveal blood. If a good guy was shot, he always managed to take a few moments to gasp some poignant last words.

Women were limited to secondary roles as wives or sweethearts. American Indians were always portrayed by white actors, and they were always the evil aggressor. If Mexicans were depicted at all, they were generally lazy and subservient (a notable exception being in the Marlon Brando vehicle, Viva Zapata). "

Hmm ā€¦
ā€¦ sounds like you havenā€™t seen much westerns before 1960.
The US western from 1939 to 1960 was in fact a very varied bunch of films which canā€™t be described with simplified terms. They ploughed through a great range of themes and styles, they were heroic and they were unheroic, they were clean and they were dirty, they were optimistic and they were pessimistic, and they practically contained, albeit in a slightly watered down version, already most of the things which were later the basis for 70s westerns.

Yes, there are US westerns which are that simple like described by you, mostly serial westerns of the 30s and 40s with Roy Rogers and others, and there are surely also some 50s western of that kind, especially in the b-picture department, but the others which come to my mind first for that kind of western were mostly made in Europe in the first half of the 60s.

Welcome back :smiley: !

Andreas!
iĀ“m a collector of spaghetti Movies seens 1996.

Hi, Iā€™m new to the site, I found it via sending an email to the spaghetti western database
and Iā€™m pleased I sent that email as now Iā€™m here.

I love Some of the darker movies, Iā€™m a big fan of Franco Nero
Most of all Iā€™m addicted to buying Spaghetti western Vinyl records as well as
making my own SW style music.

I see thereā€™s someone already with a similar name to mine, hopefully there wonā€™t be any confusion

2 Likes

Welcome! And I think as long as you donā€™t pick the same avatar image, and you put in a name or quote or some other things with your profile we can tell you folks apart :wink: Enjoy!

1 Like

Welcome, amigo! There shouldnā€™t be too much confusion unless, like our other ENNIOO, youā€™re also 800 years old :smile:

1 Like

Welcome aboard Ennio ! :smile:

1 Like

Why not choose another name?

You gotta take up that issue with Mr. Morricone then :wink:

Because I was unable to browse all the names previously used before signing up.

Thanks Everyone

*Edit didnā€™t realise you can change name after joining, Hopefully that is better

You shouldā€™ve said ā€œGreat idea Stanton!ā€ and then changed your name to ā€œStan Tonā€. :smile:

1 Like

EnniovanCleef sounds fantastic ā€¦

Yes cool name :smile:

Hey amigos , i am a fan of SW and westerns in general .

Favourite actors

Jack Palance
Klaus Kinski
Lee Van Cleef
Eli Wallach
Ernest Borgnine
Christopher Lee
John Carradine
Charles Bronson
Clint Eastwood

2 Likes