War Films

Thanks John. I have actually gotten all my macaroni combat movies from amazon.com with the exception of two: Five For Hell and Battle Force (which I ordered from xploitedcinema.com - as of today only Battle Force is in stock).

Amazon carries the following:
Inglorious Bastards
Eagles Over London (an early Castellari war film)
Churchill’s Leopards/Salt In the Wound (Wild East release)
Commandos (with LVG) - budget release
Battle of El Alamein (with George Hilton)
Five For Hell (dvr)

Okay, thank you very much!

Inglorious Bastards and Eagles Over London have the best release of any macaroni combat movies. I really like the quality of Churchill’s Leopards as well.

Some great tapes came in today:

Top 2 are Italian flicks 8) Others are mostly Philipino actioners, kick ass!

36 Stunden in der Hölle = 36 ore all’inferno (1969, Roberto Bianchi Montero)
Kommandounternehmen Burning Eagle = Commando suicida (1968, Camillo Bazzoni)

I have TONS of Philippino Commando / Jungle Action / Vietnam flicks on Greek VHS tapes, but most of them are rather unwatchable. In this genre I prefer the more well-known ones with a few exceptions

They´re not very hard to come by, though some titles seem to be pretty rare. I enjoy them most of the time. Simple, brainless fun. Violent and rarely let down in the action department. Stuff gets blown up and loads of people get shot. Meanwhile some nice Philippino settings, bad acting and cliche plot. Excellent films to zone out to and flush down with alcohol. Most of them are not too memorable and they´re all quite similar. But there are good ones. The Last Hunter is one of the best. And who can resit a concept like Warbus? Italian produced Leathernecks is also a solid, entertaining flick. This can also be said of American Wardog that has a phenomenal amount of action in the opening scene. It will blow you away! And let’s not forget the famous ones like Platoon and Apocalypse Now were shot in the Philippines too.

If you ever want to swap some of those tapes, let me know. I am starting to build quite a collection of these!

no love for Malick’s The Thin Red Line??

Apocalypse Now is probably my favorite “war” film though

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:26, topic:2209”]They´re not very hard to come by, though some titles seem to be pretty rare. I enjoy them most of the time. Simple, brainless fun. Violent and rarely let down in the action department. Stuff gets blown up and loads of people get shot. Meanwhile some nice Philippino settings, bad acting and cliche plot. Excellent films to zone out to and flush down with alcohol. Most of them are not too memorable and they´re all quite similar. But there are good ones. The Last Hunter is one of the best. And who can resit a concept like Warbus? Italian produced Leathernecks is also a solid, entertaining flick. This can also be said of American Wardog that has a phenomenal amount of action in the opening scene. It will blow you away! And let’s not forget the famous ones like Platoon and Apocalypse Now were shot in the Philippines too.

If you ever want to swap some of those tapes, let me know. I am starting to build quite a collection of these![/quote]

The problem with majority is that they might have a couple of over-the-top sequences and the rest of movie to be typical and extremely boring stuff - with non-existant plot and character development as usual. I wish I could put them in the ‘so bad it’s good’ category, but unfortunately most of them are just bad.
However there are some that I enjoy a lot, Wardog you mentioned is a good example, then there’s the Mattei flicks, Phantom Soldiers etc.

I have some doubles, it needs some time to find them in this mess in my house, but I’ll let you know as soon as I find them.

That’d be cool.

Watched this one last saturday:

36 ore all’inferno (1969, Roberto Bianchi Montero)

Disappointing film. Too bad that Richard Harrison and George Wang go wasted in this. Not a shot fired before the 28 minute mark. If I had paid attention to the überlong voice over intro, accompanied by stock footage, I would have known what it was about. But what the hell. To me it was a platoon dicking around in some Asian (Italian by the looks of it) jungle. George Wang of course as the enemy leader. The film takes off a little after half an hour and does get better, but not too much. At least there is more action. All in all a forgettable affair with unremarkable direction by Bianchi Montero.

Sure, I love Malick

Like I said on another thread, he’s a bit of a lunatic (when he’s not making movies, he lectures on balmy German philosopher Heidegger), but I like to see a Malick movie every four or five years. My favourite Terrence, this Malick.

I quite like Corbari with Giuliano Gemma.

Without any regard to films that have already been mentioned, here are some of my favorites in random order…

Patton. An all-time classic, with a great acting job by George C. Scott.
Gettysburg. A four hour American Civil War epic.
The Winter War. Made by Finns about the Soviet-Finnish war in 1939.
Stalingrad. Made by Germans, from the German perspective.
All Quiet On The Western Front. Made in the U.S. in 1930; WWI from the German perspective. Dated, but still good.
Battle Of Britain, Tora Tora Tora!, Midway. U.S.-made from the 1970s; the insipid love scene almost ruined Midway.
Cross Of Iron. Peckinpah’s only war movie.
A Bridge Too Far. Big budget WWII epic from the 1970s.
Bridge On The River Kwai. A classic from the 50s.
Khartoum. Charlton Heston as a Brit in Sudan in the 1880s.
MacArthur. Starring Gregory Peck.
The Last Valley, Too Late The Hero, Zulu. Michael Caine vehicles about the 30 Years War, WWII, and the British-Zulu wars, respectively.
The Thin Red Line. Terrence Malick’s usual beautiful cinematography.
Spartacus. Kirk Douglas leads a slave uprising in Roman times.
Lawrence Of Arabia. An all-time classic.

What’s considered a war movie? Many films are set in wars (Casablanca) or are fictional events which happen somewhat or entirely with wars (Rambo). I’ve stuck with movies that are almost entirely about battles and events dominated by a war itself.

I need to see The Battle of Algiers and El Alamein next…

inglorious bastards 1978
five for hell 1969(one of my top 10)
phantom soldiers 1987(one of my top 10 action)
comando 1985
heroes shed no tears

I’ve seen Stalingrad and I thought it was really well done. My favourite war movie is Apocalypse Now. Most of the other ones I like are also Hollywood productions. A Bridge Too Far is also one of my favourites and that one does have a British director and is partially from a British perspective which I liked. I also like Peckinpah’s Cross of Iron.

Probably my favorite war movie.

do you have battle rats 1988?

Has anyone seen Taegukgi, great stuff.