Wanted (Giorgio Ferroni, Giorgio Stegani, 1967)

SW so good it has two threads at SWDB!

Actually decent, nothing wrong with it, but nothing to write home about either.

I just watched this one again.
If someone could update the main page: Wanted

At least some of the “filming locations” were set at:
CinecittĂ  Studios
Tabernas
Las Salinillas

Thanks,

done! gracias

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Wanted

This early SW, which in fact wasn’t made too early, is the third of the 3 naive westerns veteran director Giorgioo Ferroni made with Giuliano Gemma in the lead:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,1022.0.html

By rewatching it I was a bit disappointed as it wasn’t as entertaining as I had remembered it. Apart from being simple, the story is often also a bit too much routine, with a lot of too predictable turns it became a bit boring here and there.

All in all the whole style is too antiquated for my taste.

But it is a rather good looking film with better (and more typical SW) costumes than in the other early Gemma westerns (shows how the genre has developed since 1965), and an often atmospheric photography. Even if it is obvious that the sunny Almeria scenes don’t match very good with the winterly Italian location shooting.

Boring and much too american, not recommended at all.

Btw, there was already a thread for this movie

[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,1357.0.html[/url]

Ooops, I’ve searched for Wanted, but there were 13 sites for it. So I thought if it isn’t on the first … , but apparently it was.

Let’s call the merging police

I liked this more than One Silver Dollar but much less than Fort Yuma Gold.

The film has some strange ‘outdoor’ scenes that were obviously shot in a studio. They do not look convincing at all but they have a strange atmosphere.

SWDB lists running time of german release 99 mins while quote from dvdcompare says "
Notes:
This is the longer Italian version of the film. A small handful of scenes never dubbed into English for the English language export version are here presented in Italian with no subtitles.
"

Anyone has german release and can tell which information is correct?

I am not going for wild east dics because have “those dirty dogs” as japanese release and user in amazon says> ““Wanted” looks to be taken from a PAL source which usually results in some ghosting when transferred to NTSC but ghosting I can easily live with. Wild East discs in the past have had ghosting and that doesn’t bother me one bit. The problem with “Wanted” is that the picture has a jittery effect whenever there was action on the screen or when the camera moved. Another way to describe it is “hiccups”, small little skips when things moved on screen. It was so annoying that I couldn’t even finish the film, which is a dang shame as the film seemed to be a solid Giulliano Gemma effort.”

According to OFDB the German New DVD runs 100:10 min (in Pal), 22 sec longer than an earlier DVD, for which 2 scenes with violence were trimmed.

The New DVD is supposed to be uncut.

http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=28762&vid=372434

I really liked this one. I wished Serge Marquand did more westerns, he looks suitably nasty in this and in CMC.

I’ve only seen it once, many moons ago. I think it’s due for a re-watch.

This movie’s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. Please report any errors or additions. We’re always looking for facts and info, trivial, reviews, useful links or pictures.

1 Like

There’s a new poll for Wanted now, top of the page under the original post! :arrow_up: :+1:

1 Like

Hi all,

I watched Wanted at the weekend. It did drag a little compared to the other parts of the “trilogy” and Gary Ryan is a little less interesting of a character than Gemma’s previous lead characters. There is a lot going on and a lot of small parts of the plot joining together. Lots of minor characters, Baker, the card player, priest, Prescott and so on; many villains too. Good fights and action on the wagon but overall maybe the dialogue scenes drag it a little.
I still enjoyed it and would watch again if necessary.

4 Likes

I had a look at the Italian censor material on Wanted.

Somewhat inexplicably, as reported in one of the reviews, Wanted was given an 18 rating by the Italian censors in March 1967 ‘due to the climate of continuous and exasperated violence in which the narrated story takes place’. The 18 rating was not handed out much although Django, Django Kill and Navajo Joe were all given 18 ratings. Wanted is hardly in that category.

However, the story does not end there.

In April 1967, the rating was reduced to 14 and over although it is not clear if cuts were made to that version.

In July 1967, the Appeals Committee viewed a pre-cut version of the film and agreed that the film was suitable without age restrictions if a cut of 4 meters (9s) was made to the scene in which, by means of a chain, Gary is strangulated and hit at the same time by punches in the abdomen. Pre-cuts were as follows: 1) Inside the saloon: Cut beating and punching in the belly of Baker. Cut kicks in the gut given by Gary to an attacker; 2) Stable: Gary slams an assailant’s head against the pole. Gary inflicts pitchfork blows into the assailant’s belly; 3) Inside Gold’s house: Gold slapping Baker violently and repeatedly replaced with Gold giving one slap in the face to Baker (for narrative continuity); 4) Pueblo Conejos Courtyard: Cut Gary hitting an attacker in the face with the butt of his rifle; 5) Night Exterior: Cut Gary killing the herdsman who brings the lamb with a skewer; 6) Inside the Prescott shack: Cut the crying little girl screaming ‘Grandpa…Grandpa’; 7) Interior herdsman’s shack: Cut the chief herdsman begging not to be shot and the shots fired by Lloyd. 8) Abandoned Fazenda Interior: Delete knee of one of the bandits in Gary’s belly; Delete beatings in the belly that one of the bandits gives to Gary - replaced with Gary receives two punches. 9) Hotel Room: The last scene of Marty’s slaps to the woman (i.e. the hardest slaps, the ones that make her fall on the couch, etc.) has been deleted. 10) Rancho Gold: Delete the series of belly kicks from Lloyd to Gary.

I am sure everyone will be pleased to learn that the Wild East print and the various versions on You Tube are the uncut 18 rated version with all of this material intact.

1 Like