Vote for Your Top 20 US Westerns

if someone other than Glen Campbell had been chosen to be cast in the original True Grit, my top 20 would have had a slightly different look. He hurt that movie.

Fuck, i still canā€™t quote the right way! >:(

@: Mickey13Ā« on: Today at 02:03:39 PM Ā»
Will post it tonight.

Well, you can always add HEAVENā€™S GATE to your list, Mickey. :slight_smile:

I already have, chameleon ;), but I have a feeling The Assassination of Jessy James might end up in my Top 20 too, so Iā€™ll watch it now.

Wasnā€™t The Wild Bunch one of your 10 favourite films in that Top 50 thread which was started by SD?

My list wouldā€™ve looked differently if I had entered more titles of directors like Hawks, Walsh, Boetticher or Peckinpah, but i decided to limit myself to one title. Therefore thereā€™s no Wild Bunch, Red River or El Dorado. Only Ford and Mann have two because I like their work best.

Iā€™ve considered doing the same thing Scherp but have decided not to for 2 reasons.

1. Our regular Top 20 has always been made on the basis that you should vote for your 20 favourites no matter what. So if you think all of Leoneā€™s are the best, vote that way.

2. If we just vote for one from each director the results become diluted and inaccurate. If you vote for Comanche Station and I vote for The Tall T and neither of votes for 7 Men from Now (just as an example) we have three great films under represented and something else gets a vote that it might not deserve.

So my list is heavy with Mann and Boetticher, but choosing one favourite over another is extremely tough. Especially the Boettichers as, after a while, one tends to blur into another in my memory. If I could vote for the Ranown cycle as one film I would.

How comes nobody likes Hombre?

Sure, Martin Ritt is not your typical western director, but this is a very stylish film with a great story and great acting. Newman is super-cool and it has a downbeat ending.

HOMBRE is great for me, a list with 20 top films is too short though. I could have easily put it somewhere between 15 - 20.

;D ;D ;D

BTW, watching The Assassination of Jessy Wales, a great, great film. Itā€™s even going to end up in my Top 10 I think.

How comes nobody likes Hombre?

I like Hombre a lot (especially the ending) and it stars one of my favorite actors, but that the trouble with American westerns: there are so many westerns made, and so many good ones, that itā€™s very hard to pick twenty.

Hombre is good but never been fond of Newman as an actor.

@ Phil

The change wouldnā€™t be as radical as I thought it would be. Iā€™ve been thinking about it, and I guess only the last four of my list would be replaced by other movies (not even sure about that, maybe jeremiah Johnson would be NĀ°20):

This is my list:

1. High Noon
  2. Fort Apache
  3. Rio Bravo
  4. The Man who shot Liberty Valance
  5. The Gunfighter
  6. Warlock
  7. Monte Walsh
  8. Ride the High Country
  9. Colorado Territory
    10.Man of the West
  10. Ride Lonesome
  11. Blood on the Moon
  12. Shane
  13. Butch cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  14. The Man from Laramie
  15. Little Big Man
    (17. Jeremiah Johnson)
    (18. Tell them Willie Boy is Here)
    (19. The Paleface)
    (20. True Grit (2010))

17-20 would then become:

1. Comanche Station
  2. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
  3. El Dorado
  4. Stagecoach/Jeremiah Johnson (Yes, itā€™s mighty difficult ā€¦)

OK, fine. Here it is:

1. Dead Man
  2. Jeremiah Johnson
  3. The Wild Bunch
  4. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
  5. One-eyed Jacks
  6. Ride the High Country
  7. Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
  8. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  9. Pale Rider
  10. Unforgiven
  11. The Professionals
  12. High Plains Drifter
  13. Tom Horn
  14. Outlaw Josey Wales
  15. Rio Bravo
  16. Vera Cruz
  17. Heavenā€™s Gate
  18. Open Range
  19. High Noon
  20. Rio Grande

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:46, topic:3170ā€]How comes nobody likes Hombre?

Sure, Martin Ritt is not your typical western director, but this is a very stylish film with a great story and great acting. Newman is super-cool and it has a downbeat ending.[/quote]

I have Hombre at number 8 in my list on previous page :wink:

@ Scherp:

Do you want me to count this as your new list?

chameleon Quote:

Maybe if John(ruthless)Welles allows the list to be expanded to 25, though!
I want the final, overall list to have (some) comparative quality with Spaghetti Western Top 20, so alas no.

@ Phil:

Exactly. Thatā€™s why my list has three Ford, two Peckinpah, two Mann and two Boetticher. I picked what I think is best and not a wide-ranging ā€œrecommendationā€ list.

I know ā€¦

Naming 25 would not make it easier for me. Then there are other films which then would come into consideration. To name every western I like I would have to make a top 200. Maybe 300. (But 300 was directed by Zack Snyder)

@ John

Donā€™t think itā€™ll make much difference. Keep the old list.

At the moment, only three films have more than 1oo points. I think you can all guess what one of those films is, but what about the other two?

PAT GARRETT?

Well, if Phil could make up his mind :wink: , I would suggest to present the results.

I am waiting for Phil (itā€™s going to be probably the most well-balanced and considered list of them all!) and I initially was hoping for 25 lists to make it somewhat representative, although Iā€™m starting to have second thoughts now.