VOTE For Your 10 Favourite POST APOCALYPTIC FILMS

TIME MACHINE 1960 ROD TAYLOR YVETTE MIMIEUX

Rod Taylor as HG Wells Time Machine Classic

Yvette Mimieux as Weena Time Machine Classic

I’m not much of a fan of Post-Apocalyptic films. Actually, I am not a fan of Sci-Fi type movies, at all generally speaking. So, this was a tough poll for me.
However, there are some undeniably great films on this list.
I voted for the first two Mad Max films, THE TIME MACHINE, LAST MAN ON EARTH, and maybe a couple of others.

Honestly, about the only Sci-Fi sort of film that I like (apart from those mentioned above) is BLADE RUNNER. At least, that is the only one I can think of, right now, anyway. And it isn’t Post-Apocalyptic, I guess.

Fun poll anyway!

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:22, topic:897”]I’m not much of a fan of Post-Apocalyptic films. Actually, I am not a fan of Sci-Fi type movies, at all generally speaking. So, this was a tough poll for me.
However, there are some undeniably great films on this list.
I voted for the first two Mad Max films, THE TIME MACHINE, LAST MAN ON EARTH, and maybe a couple of others.

Honestly, about the only Sci-Fi sort of film that I like (apart from those mentioned above) is BLADE RUNNER. At least, that is the only one I can think of, right now, anyway. And it isn’t Post-Apocalyptic, I guess.

Fun poll anyway![/quote]

Thanks for voting and your praise for the Poll Chris.
Anybody liking/voting for that masterpiece film TIME MACHINE 1960 has it right :slight_smile:
It can be a difficult category sci-fi/apocalyptic and much research was needed to
create the poll. I am a big fan of 50s/60s Sci-fi/PA but can watch some later ones too

What’s next … a Spaghetti Western post apocalyptic film???

Here’s a few others that I’d add to the list (or at least recommend) …

The Day After - Although it’s a made for TV film, it had more of a profound impact than most films added together. I remember seeing it broadcast the first time when I was a in elementary school. Afterward I had an unnatural fear of driving anywhere near a farm land for quite some time.

Children of Men - The concept is out there but the setting of the film is so realistic and possible in near future terms, it’s scary.

28 Weeks Later - Yeah, I know the plot is driven by the chase of the infected, but it clouds the fact that it’s a fairly straight forward survival story post apocalyptic style! The last act turns into a mess, but the setup - not dissimilar from other known films - is well executed in setting the tone.

Lifeforce - Mathilda May. Naked. Period.

Delicatessen - A French post apocalyptic dark comedy about cannibalism done by the brilliant Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Excellent film.

And finally - where my name comes from, the baddest of them all Six String Samurai!! The Russians took over the States, the Red Elvises bang out some serious tracks and Buddy just can’t seem to shake that damn kid … 8)

From the existing list I went with:

Mad Max
Planet of the Apes
Red Dawn
Terminator
The Postman (yeah, yeah … I know ::slight_smile: )
The Road Warrior
Time Machine
Twelve Monkeys

Yeah, it rings a bell
Twice

You guys forgot about AFTERMATH from 1982, at least I didn’t see it. It was directed by the star of the movie, Steve Barkett (??) Sid Haig played the main villain and there was also a cameo by Famous Monsters of Filmland founder, Forry Ackerman. There was a lot of bloody violence in the movie that I remember. I used to have the old Prism VHS a long time ago. It was about astronauts returning to Earth and finding everything has been wiped out from some kind of nuclear war and gangs of crazies have taken over.

There’s also WORLD GONE WILD (1988) starring Bruce Dern, Adam Ant (as the main villain) and Michael Pare. Saw it years ago when it first came out. I remember Dern killing people with razor lined hubcaps and cannibalistic killers.

Great topic! People at other boards have often acted like I was nuts for seeing similarities in PA films and Spaghetti Westerns. Sometimes I consider PA films to be a magnificent missed opportunity, especially in the 80’s when Mad Max imitations were being churned out like popcorn. I think too many of them made a mistake by emphasizing swordplay instead of gunplay. I think just about every PA movie would have done much better box-office by being shameless Eurowestern clones and de-emphasizing the sword angle. Especially something like Dune Warriors. I don’t recall seeing Neon City on your list but I’ll go do my votes now so if it’s there just ignore that comment.
Any other Six String Samurai fans here?

land of the dead and terminator

Twelve Monkeys
Mad Max
Wheels Of Fire
Hands of Steel
Battletruck (Warlords Of The 21st Century)
Equalizer 2000
New Barbarians
Escape from the Bronx
Dune Warriors
Stryker
Exterminators Yr 3000
Terminator
Death Race 2000

this thread just popped up suddenly from nowhere - i didn´t know SDB was such a fan :slight_smile:

but here is my toplist of PA : Mad Max 1-3
Blood Of Heroes aka Salute of the Jugger
The Road
Battletruck
Le Dernier Combat
Le Derniers Journs Du Monde
Star Trek: First Contact
Quiet Earth
A Boy And His Dog
MARK 13 - Hardware
Escape From NY
Twelve Monkeys
Last Man (with Jeri Ryan)
Puzzlehead
Damnation Alley

Lot’s of movies I really like from this genre, some of my top ones are

TERMINATOR 1-2
LAST MAN ON EARTH
TWELVE MONKEYS
PLANET OF THE APES

Stuff like THE DAY AFTER or MIRACLE MILE are Nuclear Disaster Films, maybe they have some post apocalyptic segments but on the whole their settings are not post apocalyptic.

during my research on PA movies i came across website www.post-apocalypse.co.uk.,
where was very reasonable idea of categorizing PA movies into three categories , here it is:

A - Wasteland PA movies. Think of The Road Warrior and its countless rip-offs if you need an example. Just remember, not every wasteland PA is a Road Warrior rip-off.
B - Other, non-wasteland PA movies. Everything from 12 Monkeys to Delicatessen to Day of the Dead. Large bases and cities of the future are often the places of the action in these movies.
C - Non PA movies but still worthy to be mentioned, because of a similar feeling. Examples: Escape from New York, Bronx Warriors, Split Second, Spacehunter etc.

so, as i read some old posts in this poll, Alien 3 could be included in C category